Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 into 1 vs. Tru Dual

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 10:29 PM
heavy hauler
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 into 1 vs. Tru Dual

I know that a 2-1 exhaust is better than a Tru Dual in low end torque. But is the opposite true than that the Tru Dual would be better than a 2-1 on the high end of the power band? Please comment!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-21-2006, 12:36 AM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,295 Likes on 1,405 Posts
Default RE: 2 into 1 vs. Tru Dual

The Rineharts true duals are putting out great numbers on both low and high end from what I hear.
I ordered a set for my 95" build coming up on recommendations from my builder.

Old 01-21-2006, 02:21 AM
Detour
Road Captain

You'll definately get better performance with a 2-1 system on both ends of the spectrum. The looks are the trade-off. You'll get a lot of different opinions on the looks and who's pipes are best, so look at all the options before making your final decision. Good luck and ride safe.

Old 01-21-2006, 08:01 AM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to agree with everything posted previously. You neeed to decide what you like. I have run both a 2into1 thunderheader and true duals on my Electraglide. Personally I just didn't like the look of the thunderheader on my bagger. As far as performance, yeah, you do loose al ittle with true duals, but unless you are drag racing and need that extra .00 something, you won't notice that big of a difference as long as the bike is tuned properly.

Old 01-21-2006, 09:45 AM
PROFX
5th Gear

I've run the V&H Pro Pipe HS, Thunderheader and now I'm running the V&H True Duals, (88 ci Evo). My take is this, the Thunderheader makes the most power and is the loudest, but now since I've gone to the "V&H TRUE DUALS", I've noticed that the bottom and mid range have really come to life (this is where you spend most of your time riding). There was a dramatic difference when I switched from the Thunderheader in bottom to mid power, which I liked allot especially when riding 2 up. So I'm sold on the True Duals, besides a bagger just looks better with duals in my opinion. Getting ready to do an engine swap in my bagger, former 88 ci EVO to be replace with a 127ci Ultima, bagger gone wild !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![8D]

Old 01-21-2006, 01:41 PM
heavy hauler
Intermediate

Deciding which exhaust system to go with is as hard to me as deciding which Harley to buy. Wideglide to fatboy to finally getting a road king classic. (what a blessing to have these problems)!!!!

Old 01-21-2006, 02:14 PM
BaggerDave
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone here made the switch from SE Slip-ons to True Dual head pipes?
If so, what difference did you notice if any?

Old 01-21-2006, 06:55 PM
Slider
Outstanding HDF Member

I didn't have the SE slip ons, I had the ones from Billet Boys...but switching from those to the tru-duals bumped my hp & torque both by 10%!!!

ORIGINAL: BaggerDave

Has anyone here made the switch from SE Slip-ons to True Dual head pipes?
If so, what difference did you notice if any?

Old 01-21-2006, 08:25 PM
pete_4854
Intermediate

I just bought an 04 SEEG with bassani tru duals. Great looking pipes as the "power curve" header coming out of the rear cylinder fills the gap created when you remove the stock crossover pipe. However, had I purchased the bike with stock pipes, I would have installed 2:1 SuperTrapps. They look awesome on a bagger and the performance is excellent because they are tunable, especially important to get the '06 bikes running right.

Old 01-22-2006, 02:56 AM
Ganno57
Tourer

I've listened to all the barking about what make more power and agree that a good 2:1 system will make a tiny bit more power on the bottom. But what you gain on the bottom you will loose on the top. I personally do not ride at 1500-2000 rpm which is where the 2:1 makes more power. I try to keep the rpm in the 2500 rpm range when cruising so if I need a little power to pass it is there. On the road the bike is running around 2500 rpm @ 60 mph, right where the good power starts. Plus I hate the look of a 2:1, particularly on a bagger.

I just re-tuned my 06 FLHT today because I was not happy with the way the bike ran cruising down the road between 65 and 80 mph. I took out the Bob Wood KT1 needle and put in the standard DynoJet kit. I did not drill the slide and I used the stock spring. The difference between the two set ups is like night and day. As much as I hate to admit it the DynoJet kit made the bike run quite a bit smoother. After several runs the bike now makes Max Power 79.37 and Max Torque 86.06 and the cruise is as smooth as a baby ****. The previous set up with the Bob Wood needle made Max Power 77.69 and Max Torque 84.22 but cruising was ugly. All this with only Rinehart True Duals, a Doherty Power PACC air cleaner, a standard DynoJet kit, and a good tuning session.

Quick Reply: 2 into 1 vs. Tru Dual