Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Next Harley - I'm So Confused!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:34 AM
Tab
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My Next Harley - I'm So Confused!!

Suggestion....

Talk to your local dealer. Find out when the next Demo Days are. Go and try out what you think you might like, hell try em all if you can

Old 02-11-2008, 02:30 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In the last few years went from a '98 Bar Hoper Softail Custom to a '00 FatBoy then on to a '01RKC and now '07 Roadie... There ain't no goin back.. The Roadie is GREAT

Old 02-11-2008, 02:49 AM
heywood727
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok... I'll bite.
I have a Heritage and the RG is in on Feb.26th

For Handling?... The RG would be the closest to your Sportster. At highway speeds you'll find that the steering is light. Anyone with a removable windshield can tell you the difference. The RG gets the best of both worlds because the wind isn't pushing on the bars like every other HD in the line up. The force is to the frame. Same as the rice rockets. The look is a personal choice. Doesn't seem to be much middle ground. Like it or hate it. I like the shark nose look.As noted above, it can be dressed up to an Ultra with very little. ( Tour pack and lower) If you want to do any long range touring.

The Roadie's? Nice bike, Love the Locomotive front headlight. Sit more up right as do most touring bikes. You can remove the windshield, but I've never seen one with the bags off. Same motor as the touring bikes 96, Rubber mounted. Touring suspension with air shocks I think? Hard bags.

The Heritage??For versatility, the best IMO. Windshield is bigger that the RK's for highway protection. More of a laid back seating positiondue to it being acruiser(legs are out a little further). Bags come off in 10 Min's and looks great without them.Bags are soft sided so the will expand when you load them up.Pretty much the dressed up Fatboy/Deluxe. You can strip it down and have a great city rod, or leave everything on and have a decent touring bike.

To answer your question, the windshield on the RK and Heritage come off in 10 seconds. The Heritage windshield is bigger. I'm 6'1 and I can smoke behind it at 80. I also look over the Heritage shield. Great protection. Changing the windshield on them could be a pain. I haven't needed to change mine. The RG's are pretty simple.

Which ever one you like the best, is the one for you. IMHO I like the Heritage over the RK. Taking the bags and shield off give you a totally different looking bike. Comes stock with a backrest. I have added rear passenger floorboards. Where I am, every time I look around, there are a ton of RK's.

The RG's.Once you'veridden one. I don't need to say anymore on them that you don't already know. I'm just Lucky to have both. Wife is going to enjoy the Heritage.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:09 AM
Aslan
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I would never ride an ugly Road Glide. I don't know what happened but I started to like the look. I broke down and now I have aRoad Glide. I love the look and the ride. I had to be ready for a Road Glide so I don't preach to others. If the Road Glide ever sings to you, you will know it.
You won't go wrong with any of Harley's Baggers, but you may buy a few searching for the perfect ride for you.
I

Old 02-11-2008, 06:10 AM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel that a street glide is a great all around bike, you get some storage, great bar hopper and the sleekest looking style....

Old 02-11-2008, 06:25 AM
kjmorgan
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: wglindsay

I agree with the Road King rider earlier, if you want the music from a faring go with some sort of Glide. If not go with a Road King. My Road King has gone over 22K in less than 24 months. It looks great decked out with tour pak, back rest and windshild. Also looks great with stripped down. I use ear plugs with my Zumo 550 and get everything I need music & directions. Good luck!!
I've thought about that as the alternative to the fairing/music arrangement but that doesn't do much for your passenger unless she has her own setup.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:32 AM
kjmorgan
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: BaldEagleou812

The only bike that comes to mind when i hear, Sporty and Touring is Street Glide. My initial plan was a R.K. but upon several trips to the Bendovership, Damn I think i meant Stealership, I found over and over my *** was sitting on the Street Glide,I also wanted a sporty tourer,with the 4" windshield you will have all the wind in your face you can swallow,
Right now my thinking is - if I'm going to get something with a fairing I want it frame mounted so that says RG and eliminates the SG. I am definitely going to demo both at freeway speeds and see if I really notice a difference or if it's all hype. I do wonder though, why is the RG the ONLY Harley with the fairing frame mounted. The EG must be one of the best selling touring bikes in the world and it's not set up this way. I just got scared during my forum searching reading about high speed wobble with the bar mounted fairings.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:36 AM
kjmorgan
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: BRO

If you were really confused your RE: would read "My next Honda". Have you ever walked into a dance and looked up and seen 7 or 8 ladies all with the come catch me look on their faces and now you got to decide which one to go for. That is what Harley did to us men, all the Harley's have that appeal to us that just says, ride me. Now you have to decide which one you want to ride. Don't worry about it though, think back, the worstdance partneryou have ever been with, was good. Same thing with the Harley's, you cann't really go wrong, especially with the bikes you mentioned.

Word of caution, once you decide, the decision is made then you go onto the next phase. The next phase occurs after one night with yor selected dance partnerand/ or your on your new bike 90 miles away from the Harley dealer. It's a strange thing, all of the sudden youstart looking for your next ride. Even if you cann't ride them or own them, your stll looking, it's a man-thing. God and Harley like to play with us that way. Good luck with what ever you choose and remember why ride when you can Glide. BRO

This is definitely a problem with me. I've rented five different Harley's in the past year and pretty much fall in love with whichever one I'm on at that time. Then I end up on a different one and think, "you know, I like this one better." They each have their own distinct personality but none of them is so bad that I've gotten off and said, "I'll never own one of these!"

Old 02-11-2008, 07:15 AM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member

[8D]

Old 02-11-2008, 07:17 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Well of course, the only true unbiased opinion would lead you to the Road Glide! The handling alone would guide you there, but the looks would clinch the deal!

Oh yeah, once I got my wife in the garage, she REALLY started looking good! And I can't believe I just said that...

Quick Reply: My Next Harley - I'm So Confused!!