Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Quest 2 vs the others

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006 | 09:42 PM
zubaugh
|
Road Captain
Default Garmin Quest 2 vs the others

After reading all the input I think I'm going after the Quest 2 Navigation unit for my 05 Ultra. Doesn't make sense to spend the money for the Harley version of the less capable Quest.

But would like to get the Harley Dealership POI if anyone knows where it can be had.

The StreetPilot 2620 has a bigger screen and about the same money. But as I understand, it doesn't fit the HD Mounting Kit and is not waterproof.

While smaller than the StreetPilot, the Quest 2 when mounted with the HD mounting kit should have a cleaner appearance. From what I gather the Quest mounting kit (requires drilling holes in the fairing) connects directly to the harness thereby eliminating the need to run a wire to the aux input.

Of course there are other units out there including the TomTom. But I settled in on the Garmin after reading numerous posts and reviews.

Thanks to all of you who have beaten this GPS thing into the ground. I hope this analysis is both accurate and helpful to those who follow!

Now to find the best deal on the Quest 2.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3184/0AADC95A88D1406BAE740FFD87F26D47.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3184/1E3AD25C16134EC9A6507AC80FEDD409.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-20-2006 | 10:16 PM
Bibleman
Cruiser
Default RE: Garmin Quest 2 vs the others

I own it's little brother, the Garmin Quest, and LOVE it. You can get either the Quest or the Quest II cheaply on Amazon.

I use a RAM mount to place it on the handlebar and use it all the time. I love it. The small size is actually an advantage, as it doesn't overwhelm the appearance of the bike, as some other larger GPS units might.

Come spring, I will work to integrate the verbal commands into the Audio system. Good stuff.

An advantage of using the external Garmin, is that you can also use it in you cars as well. Finally, an external GPS will display the actual MPH you are traveling, which will show you how inaccurate most bike Speedos are.

Old 01-20-2006 | 11:01 PM
zubaugh
|
Road Captain
Default RE: Garmin Quest 2 vs the others

I'm heading the the dealer in the AM and I'll look at their mount. I still don't understand the mounting. You say a RAM handle bar mount. I'm thinking that there is more vibration on the handlebar then there would be mounting to the fairing. Also, I understand the HD fairing mount connects to the harness and there would be no wires hanging. It would have to connect betweent the radio and the harness. Am I wrong?

Quest 2 has the whole US pre loaded. I'd still want to get the HD dealership uploaded to the POI.

Thanks,

Bob