Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust leak with new pipes

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008 | 12:53 PM
Iron Pony
|
Advanced
Default Exhaust leak with new pipes

I just installed V & H ovals they look and sound great but I cant seem to get the clamps tight enounghthey have a slight leak, Icant hear it but feel it by putting my hand near theslip on and pipe connection. I installed new clamps tried the V&H clamps that came with the mufflers and some new HD clamps I am afraid to tighten them any more as I think thethreads might strip. I placed the clamps in the same position and distance from the end of the mufflers as the original. What I dont know is if they leaked before. If I can ' get them any tighter is it a problem? Are there any other issues I might look out for?
Thank for your advice,
Iron Pony

Old 02-10-2008 | 03:21 PM
mvinc01
Road Master
Default RE: Exhaust leak with new pipes

Sounds like you have two sets of clamps. Don't be afraid of tightening them. You want the metal that is in between the the two "pincher's" to conform to their shape a bit. It will take some tightening to do that. If you strip out the bolt, which I doubt will happen, you have another set to use. If you lay down and watch the clamps as you tighten them, you will see the metal conform, and you will see where the slack in the clamp metal is.

If did not do this below during installation....

Remove each slip on. Get some sand paper and clean up the header pipe end and the inside of the slip on end with it. Use a metal file to remove any burs you can feel with your hand or fingers. Get some Permatex Ultra Blackhigh temperature RTVgasket maker at your local auto parts store. It's about $4 for a tube. Put a bead of this stuff near the edge on the inside of each slip on muffler. Reinstall the slip ons and tighten them up good. Let he gasket make set up for a bit. I also bought new hanger bushings for the hangers near the end. I placed the old ones on the hangers too, to take up the slack and remove any chance of the slip ons walking back wards.

Here's my prep and install tutorials....

Fuel Moto PCIII-Rush-K&N AC Preparation

Fuel moto PCIII-Rush-K&N AC Install

Old 02-10-2008 | 04:07 PM
eglidetrike1
Road Master

Rotate the clamps then make'em good and tight. If that don't work replace the clamps.

Old 02-11-2008 | 05:26 AM
Iron Pony
|
Advanced

Thanks Eglidetrike I appreciate your advice, I'll give it a try.

Ironpony

Old 02-11-2008 | 06:20 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior

Did you replace the exhaust gaskets? If not, you may want to try a new set.

Old 02-11-2008 | 10:25 AM
KustomBaggers.com
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Iron Pony

I just installed V & H ovals they look and sound great but I cant seem to get the clamps tight enounghthey have a slight leak, Icant hear it but feel it by putting my hand near theslip on and pipe connection. I installed new clamps tried the V&H clamps that came with the mufflers and some new HD clamps I am afraid to tighten them any more as I think thethreads might strip. I placed the clamps in the same position and distance from the end of the mufflers as the original. What I dont know is if they leaked before. If I can ' get them any tighter is it a problem? Are there any other issues I might look out for?
Thank for your advice,
Iron Pony

We always use Permatex Ultra Copper on any exhaust pipe unions. Good high temp sealant.
Joe

Old 02-11-2008 | 10:28 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member

Ultra Copper Permatex is the one to use.

Old 02-11-2008 | 10:34 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member

just for the record, yes you can strip the HD clamps. I set my torque wrenchat 60and stripped the bolt before it clicked[:@]...however its on the left side and doesn't seem to be leaking soI'm not going to worry too much...of course if I have to remove it, the clamp's gonna have to be cut off[:@][:@]