Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harleys 2 year warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 08:13 AM
Trojan63
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harleys 2 year warranty

At our chapter meeting yesterday, our sponsor dealership came to inform us that if you are on a road trip and break down, any dealer will honor your warranty, BUT, if you come back to them and the other dealers work is bad, they WILL NOT warranty the other dealers warranty work. We will have to go back to the dealer who did the work or pay..... So much for a true harley warranty….real bogus to me…….

Old 02-10-2008, 08:27 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Harleys 2 year warranty

Take Harley out of the picture.
Then re-think the dealers position.
I think if it were you, you wouldnt warranty someone elses work either.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:28 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a bad dealer. Warranty work by any dealer is paid for by the MOCO. Since the providing dealer is acting as an agent for the MOCO any subsequent failure will also be reimbursed by the MOCO. Your dealer should be able to warrant the work & let the MOCO & the first dealer fight it out about the cost of the first repair. JMHO, but I wouldn't give that dealer a lot of business till they start representing their customers.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:07 AM
wildthing62
6th Gear

I recently had a "check engine" light start appearing for about 8 seconds after startup, then go out. I went to the dealer and since it is still under warranty I thought the service to see what code was flagged would be free...WRONG!!! My bike flagged loss of compression on the rear cylinder...just a hiccup I was told, and since no parts were changed I was charged a $60 fee to hook up the scanalyzer and clear the code!! BS BS BS This was not the dealer I puchased the bike from that cahrged me this, but I figured they all have to warrant the product.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:21 AM
sharkeydude
Road Master

Kind of like a girlfriend holding back the punanny because the last guy was a dud in the sack.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Superglide 04
Tourer

ORIGINAL: wildthing62

I recently had a "check engine" light start appearing for about 8 seconds after startup, then go out. I went to the dealer and since it is still under warranty I thought the service to see what code was flagged would be free...WRONG!!! My bike flagged loss of compression on the rear cylinder...just a hiccup I was told, and since no parts were changed I was charged a $60 fee to hook up the scanalyzer and clear the code!! BS BS BS This was not the dealer I puchased the bike from that cahrged me this, but I figured they all have to warrant the product.
I would write or email the moco of this practice. A check engine light is a malfunction that would be covered under warranty and any dealer not honoring this is in violation of the law.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:40 AM
RED E GLIDE
Tourer

I'm an automotive tech and if any customer brings a car in with a check engine light on while the car is still under the factory 4 year/50k warranty we will not charge them if we find a erroneous code and erase it. It does not matter if the customer bought their car from us or not!Then again we are subject to CSI scores and we have to satisfy our customers.I would like to charge them but we never do. Its just bad for business, period.

HD dealers seam all to happy to ****-off their customers, but with sales slowing things will change as the dealers become more desperate to make sales and new customers. I work for a dealer (automotive)and can't stand the arrogance of many HD dealers! My selling dealer was very arrogant. I found another local dealer who appreciates my business and is not arrogant at all.
I wish I had bought from them instead. I will next time! Live and learn!

Old 02-10-2008, 09:43 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

WARRANTY WORK "IS" WARRANTY WORK & YOU ARE PROTECTED BY-LAW FOR THE STATED WARRANTY PERIOD....

Old 02-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Norm
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't usually get involved in what appears to be another contraversial thread but, the original poster referred to "bad" work. To me that is either a misdiagnosis or, they stripped something, or forgot to tighten something etc. That being the case the MOCO is NOT going to pay to do the job again by someone else. It is the responsibility of the dealer that was paid to do it right to make sure it is in fact right. Having said that, the dealer that now has the concern, IMO could call the dealer and work out the reimbursement procedures to the dealer that is trying to correct the concern. However, if the customer is close enough to go back to the original repairing dealer they would probably prefer to fix it themselves. If it is a part failure then any dealer should be able to service part replace the defective part and make a legitimate warranty claim for reimbursement and it does not have to go back to the dealer that originally did the repair.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:28 AM
chris02324
Tourer

You should contact the MOCO, Your local or state consumer advocacy agency, and or the BBB.

Quick Reply: Harleys 2 year warranty