Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 RKC smart siren 2 install

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 12:04 AM
MustBBrent
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 08 RKC smart siren 2 install

OK, I shoulda listened to you all. But I read the install instructions instead.

It would have taken 5 minutes to install the Smart Siren 2 on the 08 RKC below, but I had to readthe install instructions. They say to take the left bag off and unplug the 40AMP fuse, then move on the rightbag and side removal... so I did. I removed the right side bag and siding... then the install says remove the seat, so I did.... Then I am looking around for the wire they are talking about and I remove the electronics module, which sits on top of the battery only viewable from under the seat. Then I go down the right hand side and am trying to look for this dangling wire with a cover over it....

Finally, I am about to give up and go back to the left hand side to start buttoning things up, mad that I am about to have HD dealership do the install as I cannot find the wire harness and cover hanging from the right nor the top from under the seat as the instructions clearly state.... And low and behold, I see a small box area cut into the plastic right in front of the fuse box... With plastic clips sticking out... I look at the size of the smart alarm 2 and it looks to be about the same size... so I look for the wiring harness... and low and behold, it is plugged into a blanking area in the front of the fuse box.

I go back to the directions and verify that nothing in any of the FLH directions could even closely match what I am looking at. I insert the smart siren into the slot and it clips in... albeit very firmly... and then unplug the wiring harness that was set into the front of the fuse box and plug it into the smart siren 2. Button it all back up in 5 mintues or less and try it with the remote pager....

all seems to be working.

I like the chirp arm and disarm.

And I like the pager beep when it arms and disarms and when someone leans the bike up or attempts to start it.

BUT, I did learn not to trust the install documents from MOCO for the 08.

Lesson learned. Had to go buy a piece of chrome from Chicago HD online at 20% off to feel better about being me.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:01 AM
socalmoe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 08 RKC smart siren 2 install

Funny you post this now, I just went thru the same thing on Fri. Exact same experience; those instructions are worthless, get yourself a manual and eliminate some of the head aches!

Old 02-10-2008, 01:31 AM
hogdoc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those great directions are based on the '07 and earlier bikes with a little '08 stuff mixed in. Try working in a shop and seeing new parts everydayfor the new bikes that the "ENGINEERS" wrote directions for! (F*@#%!s)

Old 02-10-2008, 09:26 AM
MustBBrent
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: hogdoc

Those great directions are based on the '07 and earlier bikes with a little '08 stuff mixed in. Try working in a shop and seeing new parts everydayfor the new bikes that the "ENGINEERS" wrote directions for! (F*@#%!s)
Never thought of that. Now I understand why my local stealershipcharges many hours labor here and many more hours labor there for 15 minute here and 30 minute thereinstalls. It all makes sense now. (NOTE: Before we get too deep in the weeds on dealerships, there are a few good dealerships that I have spoken with... but they are an hour away or more and my local stealership continues to quote prices that are often 2x to 4x more.)

On a more serious note, I will have to commend MOCO. This is the first Harley I have owned. I bought it in late December so I have a whoping 6 weeks of experience with this type of machine and engineering. I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, though I do like to tinker on cars and trucks. I have alreadyinstalled 10 maybe 11 optional parts on the bike myself. Everything from Chrome additions to locking mechanisms (to make the expensive parts less quick release) to personally engineered modifications (as the HD parts seemed way too expensive for what I was trying to do at the time.)

I have to admit that this bike is very well engineered. All the systems and partsthat I have purchased fit well and are easy to figure out for installation. The wiring is prelaid and all I have had to do is find it and plug it in. This bike has been more plug and play than most computer stuff that I work on ... on a daily basis. (We call those systems plug and PRAY.)

All in all, I am very impressed so far with the HD engineering. But I am also very appreciative of the comments on this board as they have kept me from buying or attempting certain installs that seem to be "less well engineered."

So for the 6 short weeks that have passed and for the many years to decades in the future that you are all stuck with me, my comments, and my potential help... Thanks one and all. And thanks MOCO. This is a fantastic machine.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:19 AM
rde
Road Captain

You'll hear this over and over-but will say again. Buy an 08 touring service manual. The directions for installing the smart siren 2 are in the manual. Even if you don't wrench your bike, I guarantee at some point you'll want some info about how to change out something on your bike. It will be the best accessory you buy for your 08 bike!

Old 02-11-2008, 08:58 PM
MustBBrent
Road Captain

I know. I know. But you would think the install document that comes with the part would contain all the information on how to ACTUALLY INSTALL it. Maybe I am asking too much in this.

I do plan to get a manual. Just after LED rear turn signals and a brake controller and taller with more pullback handlebars and new grips etc...

I have to have priorities.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:11 PM
capt42a
Road Master

If you think the directions for the smart siren suck don't even look at the directions for the quick detachable hardware. It doesn't help that there are parts (spacers, etc) included in the kit for other applications/models. At least you have the satisfaction you did it yourself.
capt42a

Old 06-30-2008, 03:40 PM
drharley
Cruiser

I just traded my VRSCDX for an '08 street glide.&nbsp\\; I took off the smart siren II since the instructions said that it would also work on the 2002 and later Touring models.&nbsp\\; Of course the instructions were dated 2005 so there was no help there.&nbsp\\; HD Forum to the rescue and you guys.&nbsp\\; Thanks for the tips and , yes, just five minutes and away I went.&nbsp\\; Thanks a bunch again.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:50 PM
BlackBagger
Cruiser

I saw the originial post, printed out a copy of the directions and tossed the MoCo's paperwork. Start to finish, less than 10 minutes. I check here first now.
&nbsp\\;
Mike