Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Dissatisfied Trim Ring Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 08:22 AM
stimul8ing guy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Another Dissatisfied Trim Ring Owner

I have the gap and had the same trim ring on my road king and then moved it to the new UC...same gap!

Old 02-08-2008, 08:34 AM
GGC
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bike has flaws all over!! at 70mph You can't see any of them, Go for a ride,and don't worry about all this small stuff. You'll live longer Not getting Your blood pressure up over nothing!!!

Old 02-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Shrek
Tourer

JP #3100431 That is for the trim ring with the built in visor

Triedthe HD visor . I could get it tight at the top and bottom but the sides would not tighten down. Way to much movement. Two days and two helpers later it went back to the dealer. Dealer gave me my money back and I bought one from JP, and they had to send me a different spring that goes on top. The OEM trim ring comes all the way off the, JP goes on, done 2-3 minutes.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:58 PM
rome304
Road Warrior

its always the simple jobs that giv me a hard time i really dont notice it anymore.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:04 PM
HogFather
Road Captain

Ya know I thought I was doing something wrong, and finally just said F*&@ it good enough. The gap is about 1/8th inch. Just learned not to look at it.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:28 PM
lightu
Advanced

The reason it won't pull together is that the original ring is screwed down tight to the headlight housing. There's no room for the additional metal of the ring to fit down in that space. If you just loosen up the screw at the bottom of the original ring so that it can pull away from the housing, the new ring has space to slip in between the two. And when it slips in, it causes the original ring to pull tight against the threads of it's mounting screw. Then tighten down the bolt/nut on the new ring to snug it all up. I learned this from my experience and joy of trying to close that gap.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:37 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with the above post. I've installed a couple of these and the key is to loosen the screw in the stock trim ring at the bottom enough. Without doing this they will never meet at the bottom. I can get them to touch at the bottom doing this.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:34 PM
jack49
Road Captain

Yup,a real POS,made in Taiwan.
CHROME TAPE will cover that small gap and end those smart *** comments
about HD quality.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I first put mine on there was a gap. But after a couple of years & taking it off and on a few times it fits fine now. Maybe it stretched or bent to conform a little. I don't know but it is ok now.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:11 PM
PTATO
1st Gear

First a quick hello to all the fellow baggers. I'm not really new to the forum, been lurking around for awhile, just don't post much. However, I recently graduated from a '97 Sporty to an '08 Ultra Classic. Best move I ever made, but I will miss my quick and nimble Sportster.

I just installed the frenched headlight trim ring and got very frustrated about the gap at the bottom also. Here's what I did to eliminate the gap.

The instructions say to loosen the screw at the bottom of the orginal ring and slide the trim ring over it. Then tighten the original ring screw then tighten the trim ring. Well, when you do this, it leaves no room for the lip on the trim ring to fit tightly behind the original ring at the bottom thus causing the unsightly gap.

I put 2 small machine screw washers on the screw for the original ring. Doing this spaced it out from the fairing mount and this created enough space between the original ring and the fairing mount to allow the trim ring to get completely behind the original at the bottom to eliminate the gap.

Sorry to be long winded without pics, but I hope it makes sense and helps.