Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speakers, Amps & Ohms... Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 313 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Speakers, Amps & Ohms... Help

Looking to add in another amp it may be right away or down the road a tad. I am looking to replace my speakers up front whih are hogtunes. After my engine work etc. the speakers distort when I crank up the gain on the amp. I've found a set of Polk speakers that are marine rated and done research and they are well received. However, my present setup uses 2 ohm speakers. The Polks are a 4 ohm speaker. If I use these, will there be issues?

I plan to change out the amp and want to do this one stage at a time starting with speakers. The Hawg Wired amp, Biketronics amp and tons of others use the 4 ohm speakers. I want to buy speakers once on the other hand, I don't need any issues if I don't change out the amp right away.

I need a "Stereos for Dummies Book" lol...

Old 02-07-2008, 04:07 PM
hdxbones
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Speakers, Amps & Ohms... Help

I have Polk Audio's hooked up to a Hogtunes amp. Better bass, clearer at volume, no problems.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+2 for Polk, about as good as you're going to hear...unless sky's the limit, then it's Paradigm!!!

Old 02-07-2008, 04:53 PM
RonH
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you already have the Hogtunes amp? If so it is 4 ohms so you should have no problems. And if you do, are you sure you have 2 ohm speakers? I understood if you have the amp the fronts are changed to Hogtunes 4 (actually 5. something) ohm speakers. That's what I did with mine.

So for instance if you have their Ultrasound system the 2 ohm speakers (either stock or Hogtunes 2 ohm) go into the rear pods and are driven by the stock radio, and the Hogtunes amp drives the fronts which are 4 (5) ohm. The only time you would use 2 ohm speakers is if running them off the stock radio.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Which model Polks are you running ?

Old 02-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

I've got Paradigms in the house and they are unreal.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

I've got the Hogtunes amp yes & I have the 2 ohm speakers up front which are Hogtunes and Pez says those are the right speakers.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:13 AM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My understanding of the ohm's is if you have a 2 ohm radio or amp you can drive higer ohm speakers, but if you have a higer ohm radio or amp you will work it to death or burn it up driving lowerohm speakers.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:59 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes you can put 4 ohm speakers on a 2 ohm amp but, you will have half the volume
I will explain this a couple of different ways.
first way:
ohms are resistance, amps are rated for X watts @ X ohms
therefore, double the speaker ohms half the wattage of the amp rating.
half the ohm speaker rating double the amp out wattage but produces a lot of heat in the amp.

second way:
An amplifier designed to put out 100 watts into4 ohms will put out 200 watts into2 ohms.(high heat)
An amplifier designed to put out 100 watts into2 ohms will put out50 watts into4 ohms.(low heat) half the volume, same distortion
Two4 ohms speakers wired in parallel (2 ohms total) would cause the amplifer to produce 200 watts.(high heat)
Two8 ohms speakers wired inseries (4 ohms total) would cause the amplifer to produce50 watts.(low heat but still heat)

High heat will kill and amp.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:01 AM
XXXRacing
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a nice quality speaker and go from there.The hawg-wired components look nice, but I went with MB Quart PCE 213 Components (which you can convert to a coaxial). Picked them up for $130 ish. The only problem with these speakers is that the crossover is HUGE. I massaged them to get the fairing to install. Now powered by the hawg-wired PSC1502 AMP, they sound awesome. (I had previously tried the blaupunkt amp = JUNK!)

Quick Reply: Speakers, Amps & Ohms... Help