Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speakers, Amps & Ohms... Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts
Default RE: Speakers, Amps & Ohms... Help

Good simple reply and many other good replies as well.

Thanks!

Old 02-09-2008, 07:05 PM
grinner
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

BS! 10db is half or double the volume. That's why it's called a DECibel. Sheesh...

Old 02-09-2008, 07:06 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: tlb

I would agree, however, he said his current setup has 2ohm speakers which would lead to he has a 2 ohm amp, I dont know this just assumption based on the information provided, he asked can I put 4 ohm speakers on a 2 ohm amp? I said in along version yes just at half the volume, I know not really half but a simple answer. He also said he gets distortion, I tried to tell him he will still get the distortion even if he changes the ohm rating on the speakers. I agree if he is using a 4 ohm amp on a 2 ohm speaker it maybe why he is getting distortion I had not thought of this fact, very good point.
Would it be safe to say:
1.He wants to temporarily put in new 4 ohm speakers is fine but he may lose volume.
2. look at his amp see if it is 4 ohm it may solve his distortion problem by changing the speakers to match the amp.
3. Assume if he is attempting to hear his music at 70mph he needs it turned up. Therefore, matching the ohm rating on the amp to the speakers is important.
4.If he is going to use it around town at 25mph then using his amp at mid-range the ohm rating is less important.
5. Next time someone asks a simple question, more than likely will not want an in-depth answer or even really understand it just adding to confusion, short 2-3 word answers are better.

ORIGINAL: FX4

ORIGINAL: tlb

Yes you can put 4 ohm speakers on a 2 ohm amp but, you will have half the volume
I will explain this a couple of different ways.
first way:
ohms are resistance, amps are rated for X watts @ X ohms
therefore, double the speaker ohms half the wattage of the amp rating.
half the ohm speaker rating double the amp out wattage but produces a lot of heat in the amp.

second way:
An amplifier designed to put out 100 watts into4 ohms will put out 200 watts into2 ohms.(high heat)
An amplifier designed to put out 100 watts into2 ohms will put out50 watts into4 ohms.(low heat) half the volume, same distortion
Two4 ohms speakers wired in parallel (2 ohms total) would cause the amplifer to produce 200 watts.(high heat)
Two8 ohms speakers wired inseries (4 ohms total) would cause the amplifer to produce50 watts.(low heat but still heat)

High heat will kill and amp.
Additionally,

The output of an amplifier is not DC linear. Some amplifiers will almost behave the way you described above and others will not. Keep in mind there are three basic classes of amplifier: A, B, C. Each has its advantages. Most modern stereo amplifiers are class B, class A-B, or rarely class A. The problem with your power output assumptions is that you have a pure class A amplifier capable of very low impedance loads. This is highly unlikely in a automotive application because of the power consumption requirements. So in all likelihood an amplifier designed for a 4 ohm load is going to sound like crap into a 2 ohm load because it is most likely a high quality class B amplifier.

I see that after re-reading his post. Impedance matching is important. The distortion may be because he is using 2ohm speakers with an amp rated for 4 ohms. I didn't see what amplifier he is using. It concerns me that it has an external gain setting. That doesn't sound like a truly high fidelity amplifier. It's pretty hard to set an amps gain without an O'scope or spectrum analyzer. It is way too easy to just crank the gain up if you know what I mean. Then again I have not played around with automotive amps in a long time.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:14 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I read another post where hogtunes amps, I know nothing about by the way, are 4 ohm but they come with 2 ohm speakers. My guess would be - with restricted space on a bike smaller amp lower ohm speakers more volume overall, but poor quality.
I more so understand the concept behind amps and speakers than actual installation of systems. I had to figure it out when hooking up series of speakers on a boats. I had to figure out how to match the amp to the number of speakers in series or parallel.
If I was Badbagger, I would call the company I am ordering the speakers from and have them give me very specific advice.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:45 AM
robandlyn
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Firetender

+2 for Polk, about as good as you're going to hear...unless sky's the limit, then it's Paradigm!!!
"Paradigm ? Come now you KNOW that JM speakers are the BEST [sm=hail.gif]!
[sm=confused06.gif] Insertsmiley here with stick poking smiley.

[sm=icon_rofl.gif]
Rob ....

Old 02-10-2008, 11:08 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: grinner

BS! 10db is half or double the volume. That's why it's called a DECibel. Sheesh...
Let me know when you become an engineer! For now here is a real simple explanation:

http://www.racalacoustics.com/techno..._decibels.aspx

A little more involved:

http://www.sfu.ca/sonic-studio/handbook/Decibel.html

Old 02-10-2008, 11:18 AM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

And who said ,"it ain't rocket science"?