Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Delayed throttle response on 08's WHY???

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 02:50 PM
The Old Man
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Delayed throttle response on 08's WHY???

I think one of the "missing" feelings in the electroinc throttle is the lack of cable drag or feel that we are all used to growing up as it were. The cable drag feeling has now been replaced with a spring tension feel. Good or bad I don't know but there is s suttle differnce and that is what I think we are all feeling. As far as the throttle not being able to go more then 80 % open is no big deal to me. I know what you ae saying about needing that extra 20 % to get you out of a jam and that is a real concern. The real fact of the matter is that by 2500 rpm you already are at almost the top of the torque curve so having more in my opian is just generating a lot of extra noise and no real speed. So just shift and let the torque do the work that Harleys are noted for.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:53 PM
gene01
Road Captain

seems strange to me that people seem to want to have problems to worry about, just ride your bike and enjoy it, why try to find problems that do not prevent you from enjoying your ride..... if it is not going to hurt the bike, leave you stranded or run so slow that it endangers your life, don't worry about it

Enjoy your bike..

Old 02-07-2008, 02:59 PM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: The Old Man

I think one of the "missing" feelings in the electroinc throttle is the lack of cable drag or feel that we are all used to growing up as it were. The cable drag feeling has now been replaced with a spring tension feel. Good or bad I don't know but there is s suttle differnce and that is what I think we are all feeling. As far as the throttle not being able to go more then 80 % open is no big deal to me. I know what you ae saying about needing that extra 20 % to get you out of a jam and that is a real concern. The real fact of the matter is that by 2500 rpm you already are at almost the top of the torque curve so having more in my opian is just generating a lot of extra noise and no real speed. So just shift and let the torque do the work that Harleys are noted for.

I agree with this. It's almost the same, but, not quite. Personnally, It cracks open plenty quick enough for my old bones to handle.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:02 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: gene01

seems strange to me that people seem to want to have problems to worry about, just ride your bike and enjoy it, why try to find problems that do not prevent you from enjoying your ride..... if it is not going to hurt the bike, leave you stranded or run so slow that it endangers your life, don't worry about it

Enjoy your bike..
Amen to that...... I think the winter has warped ways of causing people to sit and ponder all the many what-iffs and why is that.......

Old 02-07-2008, 03:19 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hmmm, no probs here,,, hit start button,,, roll on the miles
aint about, max. speed, and HP, for me

Old 02-07-2008, 03:47 PM
B88
Intermediate

Thanks again but with what I'm running for cam 2500 ain't where it at in the curve. Looks like so far no one really know much about this issue other than to say don't matter to me cause I don't ride that hard anymore.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: B88

Thanks for the replys. This is an 08 RK 103. Rode it for a 1000 miles before building so understand what you saying about the throttle response as far aswhen you twist it ect. I guess what is saying isthe machanical aspect of the throttle is great its the programming that sucks.All I want is for the motorto operate at it full potential. That missing 20% just might get you out of a tight spot some day. So againdoes anyone know atwhat RPMwe getWOT on and 08?
The new FBW throttle will not let you get max engine RPM with WOT while setting still! The remaining (missing 20%) is only going to be there while at highway speeds! Acts somewhat like a rev limiter in my opnion.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:49 PM
martin1
Cruiser

I asked the same question on this forum a couple of weeks ago. I was not sure what to make of it. I thought at the time that it might not make any difference in performance because at lower RPM's you dont needas muchair flow anyway. Also, the 08's throttle body is bigger than the 07's. So after asking the question and doing some research I dont think it means anything performance wise. The reason for HD doing this was to protect the engine from lugging - according to most sources. The dyno charts I have seen of stock bagger bikes show the 08's to have at least as much if not more power than the 07's. So I dont think it is anything to lose any sleep over. Most people are reporting that the 08's run great.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:36 PM
B88
Intermediate

Thanks. Doug has a good point but the reality is that at highway speeds be it70 mph you are limited to 80% and thats where I notice it more than anywhere else. Did change the transmission pulley and secondary belt trying to work around it. Bike is a lot more friendly with the lower gearing but even with it at highway speed it is still restricted. So it appears, by the posts,many don't know the difference but 20% of 96CI is a bunch not to mention 103.Protecting the engine is does.Don't thinkyou can make it ping and I'm running 10:1 pistons.Did get a PM from a shop in NY that said they knew someone who was working a fix but not there yet.Looks like given a littlemore timethe after marketmay have a fix.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:39 PM
SkipB
Cruiser

I suspect it is to keep up air velocity and prevent a bog due to suddenly opening a larger diameter throttle body. This IMPROVES throttle response, folks.

Quick Reply: Delayed throttle response on 08's WHY???