Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-chrome or Replace?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 11:55 AM
UNYboater
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re-chrome or Replace?

It looks worse in the picture than in person but.....which is better/cheaper? Replacing it new, used or rechroming the existing parts?

It's the only bad spot on the bike, other than a couple bolts/nuts, so I'd like to take care of it before spring.
I plan on keeping if for a while, if that makes a difference.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:06 PM
KDC56
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Re-chrome or Replace?

I had the exact same problems on my 01 E Glide I bought this summer from a guy downstate. I watched e-bay and this forum for take-offs and eventually I have replaced all the rusted parts on the bike. I believe rechroming would be more expensive. The bike only has 5000 miles on it , but sat outdoors and was not cared for as it should have been. Also , if yourlower fork sliders have begun to peel (the clearcoat) you can wet sand them down and polish them with Mothers aluminum polish to the point they look damn near like chrome. There is a thread on the forum here pertaining to the procedure. Just did mine and what a difference !!Does take some time and beer though

Old 02-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Street Glider
Cruiser

I can't speak to cost, but in my experience, anything that I've sent off to be chromed has come home looking twice as good as new with the chrome looking deep and almost wet. I don't think most manufacturers spend the money for good chrome on production parts. I wouldn't think having those pieces chromed and polished would run you much and I believe you'd be more than happy with the results.

One caveat: if the underlying metal is HEAVILY damaged your results might not be the greatest. Ask your chrome shop.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:42 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check e-bay. I think those guard rail fit a whole bunch of years and I see people dumping them.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Better & Cheaper are two different things, but you knew that, so............

Better, if the pitting isn't too deep & the remaining metal is thick enough to stand serious polishing, send 'em to Brown's plaiting. Cost is reasonable (you can download their price list from their web site) & their chrome can't be beat for quality & durability.

Cheaper, will get you what you want if you just look for take off parts at dealers/aftermarket shops/ebay/swapmeets/etc. There's a world of perfectly good, inexpensive parts out there that people have replaced with expensive show stuff. Their extravagance works well for everyone.

Really Cheaper, (I know, you didn't ask) is some sandpaper & rattle can paint of your choice. I know that at first it sounds too cheap & tacky, but I've seen some really pleasing results if they're thought out.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:31 PM
UNYboater
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Street Glider

I can't speak to cost, but in my experience, anything that I've sent off to be chromed has come home looking twice as good as new with the chrome looking deep and almost wet.
Of course, than I'd have to re-chrome the rest because it would look BETTER than stock! Good advice. Thanks!

Old 02-07-2008, 01:36 PM
UNYboater
Advanced

ORIGINAL: KDC56

I had the exact same problems on my 01 E Glide I bought this summer from a guy downstate.
And you actually know where 'Upstate' IS !!! This one came from CT, right on the coast; I don't think it was kept outside but I think the salt-air gets to them.

I'll try that trick on the forks, too. Mine aren't peeling yet but they don't look like they should.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:38 PM
74_ironhead
Elite HDF Member

I bet I could find a pair of rails in my garage if I looked hard enough, PM me if you're interested.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:08 PM
tjmac49
Outstanding HDF Member

Because of the amount of work to clean the metal surface, I think that replacing is probably more indicated than re-chroming.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Sol
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 74_ironhead

I bet I could find a pair of rails in my garage if I looked hard enough, PM me if you're interested.
Same here but I know exactly where my old rails are collecting dust - drop me a PM if ironhead gets lost in his garage

Quick Reply: Re-chrome or Replace?