Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ideal compression

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:24 AM
bc_hombre
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ideal compression

hey there.....................first post. punching out my 06ultra to 95 with stage ll headwork. has pro pipes and se cleaner. after much wrestling over cam choiceconsidering riding style around town vslong distance touring, i decided to go with the tw26g. love to hot rod between lights and want it to turn on early, but i don't want anything radical or to put additional stress on engine as wewant a trouble free trip to tierra del fuego next year. i want low compression with the flat top wisecos, but i am not sure whatto have it dialed in at. what would i be sacrificing with say 9:2 asopposed to 9:8?

Old 02-07-2008, 11:01 AM
molsen
Road Master
Default RE: ideal compression

Personally I would get something more aggressive if you are doing all the headwork and upgrade if you go to andrews website"Bolt-in cam for 88-95 inches - stock compression ratio. Great for two-up touring, this cam will add torque and HP at lower and middle RPM ranges. (1800-5200 RPM" So you would stay with low compression. Plus you will not take advantage of the heads.

Personally I would go with either Woods cams, talk to Bob directly with your setup. He is great to talk to and will lead you to a nice setup with cams and CR. HQ is another source to talk to. I have not dealt with them personally, but Ihave heardthey are a great company to work with. If you have not done the heads yet, they do great work with packages that will yield lots of TQ that you are looking for.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:49 AM
bear95
Intermediate

Why not go 9.5 to 1, from what I've read that seems to be the best compromise. You could dial that in by getting the heads decked and or a thinner head gasket. Also from what I've read you get about 1/2 point compression raise for every 30 thousanths you take off of the head deck but thats for EVO's I'm not sure what it would be on a twin cam.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:37 PM
schmeg
Cruiser

Call Steve at AMS and talk to him about headwork and Andrews cams. They deal with tw21/26/37's. He will give you good info on that kind of build. He's going to be doing my heads for my TW21's (girly cams) and will be setting my compression at 9.4 to 1. Yes there are much stronger builds out there, and yes Bobby Wood has a great cam (TW6 comes to mind), as does HQ and GMR, but I didn't need that level of performance. I'm going to be towing. I will be using his carb though. So if you want to stick with the 26's AMS is a good start. Big Boyz has done a lot with that cam too.

http://www.automotivemachine.com/harley.htm

Old 02-07-2008, 05:54 PM
bc_hombre
Stage III

so molson, what i am hearing you say is that you feel i would be better just sticking with the 26g and no headwork, if i want to keep the compression ratio low? i am having hillside do all the machining. scott's suggesting the 37g or the tw6, but i was concerned about additional stress on such a major tour. andrews describes the 37g as a hot rod cam. i don't think it's that wild comparing others though. ok, so if you had the same concerns in the back of your head, and wanted assurance on a one year trip, would you go 26g, 37g, or tw6? thanks

Old 02-07-2008, 06:01 PM
kdietz
Road Captain

I just pulled a set of 26gs and street ported heads at 9.5cr because I wasn't making any power....the 26g's seem to respond better to stock heads and compression....IMHO and experience!

Old 02-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

karl...you have snucked up with another build....didnt tell nobody....you ole snucker