Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Turn Signal Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 05:15 PM
shortleg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rear Turn Signal Bulbs

Should be 1157 for frount and 1156 for rear.
Shortleg[Dave]

Old 02-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Pric8779
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Doug45601

Local HWP came to one of our HOG meetings to discuss MC Safety and highway driving and actually said that red signals (rear) actually gained more attention in traffic situations. He based this on his teachings and training experiences with cagers training and their feed back. Said that most cager drivers do notice the bikes and turn signal indications with the amber lights but are more inclined pay attention to the "Red Flasher" due to their "standing out" like a stop signal.

Now that's a matter of opnion I'm sure..... but a flashing red light does seem to get more attention! Guess the reason years back when signals went from red to amber was to make a significant viewing difference between a stop light to a signal light. Thus someone following behind you would be able to distinguish that you were planning to make a turn or lane change and not just pumping your brake!!

I myself would like the biggest, brightest rear signals I can get and if red is more attention getting ....(according to the HWP) then red is for me..
trivia : All turn signals in UK have to be amber, maybe other places too. Don't know why but US military that take vehicles over there with them have to install them or modifyred ones.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:24 PM
04 rkcrr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah,What Shortleg said. The front bulbs have 2 **** on the bottom, the back has one. I didnt think theprice was all that bad considering drag specialties wanted 20 bucks for 1 bulb.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:38 PM
fishpro
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: FLHT

Rear turn signals can be amber or red. If you plan to go with a run/turn/brake controller you want red. You could also look into LEDs. I am very happy with my LED set up.
I agree with FLHT. I installed the run/turn/brake conversion with red lenses and clear bulbs. The turn signals are always on except when the left/right signal is actuated. I believe the more lights I have on in the rear the better I can be seen.

Original: Pric8779
trivia : All turn signals in UK have to be amber, maybe other places too. Don't know why but US military that take vehicles over there with them have to install them or modifyred ones.
You answered your trivia, the reason all U.S. Military have to modify is because all turn signals in UK have to be amber.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:55 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

RED or AMBER will work... I went with the RED... Found TRUE\NATURAL RED BULBS (most standard 1156\1157 red bulbs just have a plastic covering over a clear light) Here: http://clearalternatives.com/Merchan...ory_Code=Bulbs
and @ $4.95 ea I ordered a couple of extras and so far they been working for 10K+ with out a failure