Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets and the Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008 | 12:45 AM
Raxus
|
Road Warrior
Default Helmets and the Ultra Classic

Just wondering what all you folks who wear helmets like to use with the Ultra intercom system? I have a full face already so mainly am wondering between the 3/4 and half helmets. I assume 3/4 helmets are much better than the 1/2 for putting the intercom system into but I kinda like the looks of the 1/2. Any suggestions/input would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-07-2008 | 12:55 AM
Bluerose
Default RE: Helmets and the Ultra Classic

I wear a 3/4 with a flipup face shield.

Old 02-07-2008 | 04:28 AM
maxum96
Cruiser

The mrs. and I use both 3/4 and full face helmets on our Ultra with the intercom. I found no difference in difficulty installing the intercom system between the 2 different style helmets. You might find some difference in difficulty between different brands of helmets.

Old 02-07-2008 | 04:42 AM
KraZeeInOhio
Advanced

We've had the KBC Tour-Com 3/4 helmets with the built-in headsets from J&M Corp for a couple of years and they're really comfortable. Last summer I purchased a Scorpion EXO-100 1/2 helmet with the retractable internal sun visor and the zip-on neck curtain has pockets for headset speakers & wires which work ok. Most of the 1/2 helmets do not have provisions for speakers and wiring.

Old 02-07-2008 | 08:17 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member

I use the 3/4 with flip up face shield. J&M has just come out with aaudio system for 1/2 helmets. The 3/4 works for me and the missus.

Old 02-07-2008 | 08:46 PM
paco ritter
Cruiser

been my findings that the 1/2 helmet does not work too well with the head set earphones, at least I never found a way to make it happen. The 3/4 helmet with flip up windshield works great with the head phones, keeps them close to the ears where you can hear them. I just bought my first 3/4 with flip up windshield this winter, it worked fantastic. Not sure how it will be here in the South during summer months. I will go back to the 1/2 helmet or none at all for the summer months.

Old 02-07-2008 | 10:03 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior

We both have full face modular helmets with the HD intercom system installed in each. But we also have 1/2 helmets with headsets made for half helmets from Sierra Electronics. Initially they had a bad batch of wiring, and I must have sent back 6 sets due to shorts and dead earpieces. But they finally got it right, and I like the sound quality better than the HD (which isn't saying much...) But anyway, it gives you the option to go with the 1/2 helmet if you want.

Check 'em out at http://www.sierra-mc.com/products.asp?id=82-- and no, I don't work for them.

Old 02-08-2008 | 09:32 AM
cms1528
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: paco ritter

been my findings that the 1/2 helmet does not work too well with the head set earphones, at least I never found a way to make it happen. The 3/4 helmet with flip up windshield works great with the head phones, keeps them close to the ears where you can hear them. I just bought my first 3/4 with flip up windshield this winter, it worked fantastic. Not sure how it will be here in the South during summer months. I will go back to the 1/2 helmet or none at all for the summer months.
I use half helmets with my intercom system. In the colder months I tuck the earphones into the zip on zip off ear warmer/liner. ( Whatever that thing is called. ) Now when that is not on I attach the earphones to astrap that I sewed on by hand. Isewed a small piece of Velcro strapin between the down straps. I then attached Velcro, adhesive type,to the backs of the earphones. So when I need them I just slap them on the Velcro strap and they work great.

I have never liked wearing 3/4 or full face helmets so this works great for me. No problems with hearing your passenger at highway speeds and you don;t even know their there. I could add a pic sometimeif you wish.

Old 02-08-2008 | 12:02 PM
Opossum
Cruiser

Harley makes a pocket that the speakers fit into for a half helmet, you have to kinda force the mic rig up in between the foam and the shellwith the help of butter knife blade but once it slides in it stays, adjust the VOX a little and I can hear and speak just fine. I had to stretch the coiled cable a little (hung the hemlmet and cord from the garage door track) and its good.
Ride Safe

Old 02-08-2008 | 04:12 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

A buddy had some "DOG EAR" lookin pockets that are made for this,, they go on to the "Y"
shape of the 2 straps , by the ear, for 1/2 helmets.
he says, lots of vendors are sellin these at rallies and such..

another thing, I GOTTA ,look into this spring!!

Quick Reply: Helmets and the Ultra Classic