Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointed with the 12" Klockwerks shield

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 05:56 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts
Default RE: Disappointed with the 12" Klockwerks shield

Good deal atex... post your review please.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:25 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ultrasweet
... My Clearview is a much better shield ...
Thats my opinion. I have no regrets and may may buy a shorter one, it works so well.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:58 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Really waiting on the ride reports before I order one, and now I am not sure of the height differance in the way they handle the wind, Reports on the 8" seem to be positve. Doc

Old 02-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rocknrod, are you talking about the Clearview or the Klockwerks? T.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

I agree.. everything I've read on the 8 inch shield was nothing short of excellent and I'd assumed (big mistake) that the 12" would do the same and then some.
Perhaps not. I am really wanting more input asap so that I can make a decision on the windshield. Mine isn't slated to ship for a couple of weeks and can still make a change. I ordered mine thru M&M at a significant price reduction.

I guess the jury is out lol...

Old 02-07-2008, 02:35 PM
nedster
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: Ultrasweet

Today I received my 12" Klockwerks shield and I am disappointed. I oredered it back on the Jan. 15th. based on the pitch the guy from Kustom Baggers made regarding these new shields

"To give you an idea on how the 8" shield affects the rider. I am 6'4". The short Harley windshield puts the wind right in my eyes and shakes my sunglasses on my face. With the 8" flare windshield the wind shoots over and no longer shake my glasses. The 12" version is intended to provide some wind deflection for a passenger and deflect road debris.

The 8" version was wind tunnel tested when we were doing streamlining for our Bonneville racer. Long story short the windshield creates a pocket of air the rider sets in . With the 8" flare windshield a road glide fairing has the same drag coefficient with the rider sitting straight up as it does when the rider is crouched down. What does this mean? The air flows over the rider.

Thanks
Joe"

My opinion of the shield is as follows: I am 6'1" tall
I waited 3 weeks to get it and was not given any idea about the status of my order.
First off, I did not get any instructions so I installed it the way I thought it should go.
If I installed it properly it was an easy install.
The best thing about it is it looks awesome!
After 40 MPH I could no longer hear my stereo because of the wind noise.
I got way more wind in my face than I did with my stock RG windshield, however I didn't get the buffeting I had before.
I feel like the only thing I am getting with this shield is the wind off my chest.
I only got it up to about 70. At 70 I was getting more turbulance in my eyes than I wanted.

I may be the exception here but I think they over advertised and under delivered. I will be putting my Clearview large back on. The Klockwerks would be better for the summer but not now. T.

I see that you copied and pasted pert of Joes quote; but there are other factors to the equation!! Joe also that mirrors can change the dynamics of the shield and what about seat height?? I have after market mirrors and a mustang seat on my 08 RG. Now I am 6'2 and Mustang claims their 08 seat sets me down about an 1" from stock, I tested the shield yesterday and felt it did everything Klockwerks said it would. I had no wind in the chest or face area. But like everything from pipes to seats it comes down to the end user!!! To each is own but I feel Joe from Klockwerks was upfront on everything he stated!![:@]

Old 02-07-2008, 04:12 PM
nedster
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I see that you copied and pasted pert of Joes quote; but there are other factors to the equation!! Joe also that mirrors can change the dynamics of the shield and what about seat height?? I have after market mirrors and a mustang seat on my 08 RG. Now I am 6'2 and Mustang claims their 08 seat sets me down about an 1" from stock, I tested the shield yesterday and felt it did everything Klockwerks said it would. I had no wind in the chest or face area. But like everything from pipes to seats it comes down to the end user!!! To each is own but I feel Joe from Klockwerks was upfront on everything he stated!![:@]
I just got back in from riding, it is only 32 degrees here in PA, but I took it the bike down rt 83 and ran up to about 100mph and I really do feel the sheild does the job. At 75 I could still hear the stereo on the highway
Sometimes I read these post about wind and I get confused, we are talking about riding motorcycles right??

Old 02-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain

Nedster, I guess I am just the only dumbass on this forum that doesn't know what he is talking about. I don't understand how 2 people of the same height could get such drastic results. I have a stock seat and some of the HD teardrop shaped mirrors with the wide angle lens on it.

Joe has stated that the 8" is adequate for most people but if they want more debris protection and better air for the passenger then the 12" would be better. You say that it does everything they say it will. What exactly is that? Maybe I am expecting too much. But you say you get no wind in the face and chest. The wind feels like it is hitting me at chest level and higher. That is not the same thing as a sound perception thing like with a set of pipes. It is fact. I can't hear anything above 40 mph with my half helmet on. I can't even hear the engine revs. I am not saying you are making this up unless you have some interest in their company but for the life of me I can't figure out why we could be using the same product and get two entirely different results.

I know that motorcycles are windy but this shield feels almost like it has no shield at all. It is better in one sense, I don't get the buffeting I got with the stock shield. I will probably keep it because it looks awesome and it will be cooler than the Clearview in the Summer but I will freeze my *** off on a cold day with this thing. If I wanted a motorcycle without a shield I would have bought one.

The Clearview gives much better protection but it doesn't have the cool factor that the Klockwerks shield has. T.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:09 PM
KustomBaggers.com
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Ultrasweet

Today I received my 12" Klockwerks shield and I am disappointed. I oredered it back on the Jan. 15th. based on the pitch the guy from Kustom Baggers made regarding these new shields

"To give you an idea on how the 8" shield affects the rider. I am 6'4". The short Harley windshield puts the wind right in my eyes and shakes my sunglasses on my face. With the 8" flare windshield the wind shoots over and no longer shake my glasses. The 12" version is intended to provide some wind deflection for a passenger and deflect road debris.

The 8" version was wind tunnel tested when we were doing streamlining for our Bonneville racer. Long story short the windshield creates a pocket of air the rider sets in . With the 8" flare windshield a road glide fairing has the same drag coefficient with the rider sitting straight up as it does when the rider is crouched down. What does this mean? The air flows over the rider.

Thanks
Joe"

My opinion of the shield is as follows: I am 6'1" tall
I waited 3 weeks to get it and was not given any idea about the status of my order.
First off, I did not get any instructions so I installed it the way I thought it should go.
If I installed it properly it was an easy install.
The best thing about it is it looks awesome!
After 40 MPH I could no longer hear my stereo because of the wind noise.
I got way more wind in my face than I did with my stock RG windshield, however I didn't get the buffeting I had before.
I feel like the only thing I am getting with this shield is the wind off my chest.
I only got it up to about 70. At 70 I was getting more turbulance in my eyes than I wanted.

I may be the exception here but I think they over advertised and under delivered. I will be putting my Clearview large back on. The Klockwerks would be better for the summer but not now. T.

Hello T.

First off I thank you for your honest and complete opinion on our windshield. These types of comments can only make us strive to improve our products. For that I thank you.

May I ask what windshield your comparison is to? Is it a short HD shield or are you running a 16" or taller shield? The comparison has always been against the shorter HD shields. Anyone who has ridden a HD touring bike with a short windshield has the same complaint. They don't work and the wind is always in your face bouncing your glasses around. That is what my quote above is in reference to and that includes highway speeds. The other key feature of the shield is to reverse the lift that is created by the stock HD roadglide fairing. This was proven to exist in the wind tunnel. The flare windshield creates about 15 lbs of down forcewhich is good for stability.

As far as your stereo is concerned, questions about improved sound came out and I tried to squelch that right away. There is no way that claim could have or would have ever been made. Just not possible to predict so my comments to that issueare limited.

Since the first threads on the forum have been posted and the questions began about our shieldsI have done my best to be up front and honest with all the feedback I have given. I know that I even prefaced or stated in one of my poststhat there would be people thatwould beless than satisfied. No product on earth can make 100% of the people happy 100% of the time. With some minor hurdles most of our feed back has been positive. I am sorry that you are not thoroughly pleased.

And no we do not include instructions. They fasten to your fairing just as your stock shield does with your stock bolts. No need for instructions. If you can take your stock windshield off you can put our windshield on.

As consumers, please do educate yourselves. I trust the vast majority of you will be satisfied.

Thanks
Joe

&

Old 02-07-2008, 06:42 PM
speedglide
Tourer

ORIGINAL: nedster

I just got back in from riding, it is only 32 degrees here in PA, but I took it the bike down rt 83 and ran up to about 100mph and I really do feel the sheild does the job. At 75 I could still hear the stereo on the highway
Sometimes I read these post about wind and I get confused, we are talking about riding motorcycles right??
Just for clarification, you are talking about the - 12inch - windshiled, right?

Quick Reply: Disappointed with the 12" Klockwerks shield