Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Law (it is here)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 05:33 PM
monkish
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet Law (it is here)

I am sure all know that a DOT helmet is now law in NC. I really had not thought about it much as i figured it would not be to big a deal. Well I was wrong. We ate supper last night with a big group that we ride with and I found out that someone got pulled. The reason was suspicion of a non DOT helmet. Ticket was 170 something dollars plus court cost's.

I guess I will be buying a helmet soon as the tickets could get rather costly.[:@][:@][:@]

I guess it could be worse....

Old 02-06-2008, 05:46 PM
07BlkCherryUltra
Cruiser
Default RE: Helmet Law (it is here)

Just remember, it's for your own good.[:@] Aren't we lucky to have a government that cares so much?[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

At $170 a pop, those state coffers should fill up fast!

Old 02-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Lyfer
Tourer

ORIGINAL: monkish

The reason was suspicion of a non DOT helmet. Ticket was 170 something dollars plus court cost's.
Did the helmet have a DOT sticker on it, or was it a truly non-compliant "novelty" helmet?

Old 02-06-2008, 06:02 PM
monkish
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Lyfer

The reason was suspicion of a non DOT helmet. Ticket was 170 something dollars plus court cost's.
Did the helmet have a DOT sticker on it, or was it a truly non-compliant "novelty" helmet?
I am not 100% sure but I think they said it had a DOT sticker on it but it was a thin novelty helmet. The law enforcement have supposedly been trained on thickness and appearence. And you do not have to be stopped for something else. It can be just for the helmet. This is what I was told and it happened to one of their friends. Maybe someone else in NC has already been involved with this and can contribute.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:44 PM
racklefratz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure all know that a DOT helmet is now law in NC. I really had not thought about it much as i figured it would not be to big a deal. Well I was wrong. We ate supper last night with a big group that we ride with and I found out that someone got pulled. The reason was suspicion of a non DOT helmet. Ticket was 170 something dollars plus court cost's.
"court **costs**"

Dang. I thought, in these enlightened times, state legislatures had gotten over their fetishes with interfering with motorcyclists' personal rights. It's not their bid'ness, and shame on any of 'em that still think it is.

I hope the bike groups that are active in legislative matters put the heat on the NC legislators responsible for this.

I have no interest in debating the relative safety of helmet wear on a bike. I have a huge interest in debating whose prerogative it should be if a helmet is worn, or not. I'm not in NC, but wherever I am, IT'S MY PREROGATIVE - no one else's. I have insurance, and insurance is there to cover risks, whatever they may be. The "public pays for your medical costs when you crash without a helmet" is pure propaganda - nothing more.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:30 PM
ApeKing
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 07BlkCherryUltra

Just remember, it's for your own good.[:@] Aren't we lucky to have a government that cares so much?[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

At $170 a pop, those state coffers should fill up fast!
Sorry I see you posted something but couldnt stop staring at your avatar long enough to read it!

Old 02-06-2008, 07:37 PM
JokerJ13
Cruiser

Well, let's see.State governments make wearing a seat belt a law. Having an approved helmet shouldn't be that much of a surprise. Although, I believe there are states that ticket for no seat belt, but have no helmet requirements for riders over 21.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:39 PM
ApeKing
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Within 5 yrs there will be a FEDERAL helmet law, mark my words!! It sucks but it's comin'!!!!!!!

Old 02-06-2008, 07:43 PM
kart11
Tourer

ORIGINAL: JokerJ13

Well, let's see.State governments make wearing a seat belt a law. Having an approved helmet shouldn't be that much of a surprise. Although, I believe there are states that ticket for no seat belt, but have no helmet requirements for riders over 21.

Pa would be one of those states !!!

Old 02-06-2008, 07:45 PM
roadglide65
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: JokerJ13

Yea and the let all the KIDS THAT RIDE THE SCHOOL BUS 2X a day not were seat belts. But there worried about us!!

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Quick Reply: Helmet Law (it is here)