Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Law (it is here)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 05:21 AM
olgreydog7
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Helmet Law (it is here)

ORIGINAL: Phurion

ORIGINAL: olgreydog7

But, the way I ride, I'm much more likely to go down due to a car running into me than I am crashing cause of my own error. Bottom line, I don't wear one and I don't like states that try to make me.
Which is the part of the equation that you can't control. Sure, you may be an accomplished enough rider to keep your bike shiney-side-up when you, yourself are the only factor. Unfortunately since there are hundreds, if not thousands of other factors involved, why even take the chance?

I've gone through phases during my life on motorcycles as well. 3/4 at first, then full, then novelty, then DOT halfer, but today I'm back to a full facer (Scorpion EXO700) because I'm just not willing to take that chance anymore.

To each his own, and good luck to those who choose to not wear protection. I wouldn't get in a car anymore without buckling up. To me a helmet is to a motorcycle what a seat belt is to a car.

/shrug
I control it by not riding on the HWY. I'm a back road cruiser. That's not to say I never see a car. You are right, it is a chance I take, but the way I see it, you take a chance just getting out of bed in the morning. I also hapen to believe things happen for a reason. If it's your time, it's your time. I agree with to each his own. For me, it's a non-dot helmet.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:15 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 24,691 Likes on 9,284 Posts

Well lets see now. Abate says they are still working on defending our rights, and how long have they been doing this with little or no results? Sounds like a nice cushy job to me. Sorta like finding the cure for cancer so the research funding will stop rolling in.

What we really need to do is hire an abortion rights attorney to get rid of the helmet law. Ya know, the rights of the mother should easily transfer over to the rights of the biker. Now they seem to get the job done effectively and permanentlyand for all states, plus make the tax payer pay for our scooters somehow.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:17 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

NC is not rewriting federal law at all. Here is a pamphlet published by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (the organization who wrote FMVSS 218) http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...s/page2.htmThe Pamphlet attempts to explain DOT standard. I think it does this poorly. It does explain where NC LEO's are getting the 1 inch thick liner idea. by the way the pamphlet is not the Law, fmsvv 218 is the law.
ORIGINAL: csbreeze

ORIGINAL: dougbk

I got one and had a Trooper check it out and because it doesnt have 1" foam lining it is Illegal in NC. ACC has 5/8 foam.
You got me thinking so I checked my ACC helmet and my Super Seer and the Super Seer may be 1/16th to an 1/8 inch thicker but that is all. The Super Seer is one of the premier law enforcement half helmets on the market. They are worn by many law enforcement agencies and I would bet even agencies in NC. So I think I am going to have to call BS on the Trooper.
The trooper just read what he suppose to be looking for and what the law says line by line to me with discussion with each line. The Trooper also said and I quote, "It is a poorly written law." To many ? marks and not definative enough. If you would like to read a very simular pamplet to what he read to me go to NC DMV site, look under hot topic, click helmet, click at the bottom of the page concerning what is DOT and there you go. All the BS you want to read. NC is trying to redefine a FEDERAL law and I wish the feds would step in. They will not though. No one wants to touch the definition of DOT for fear of setting presidence. NC doesnt test helmets they just harrass Bikers. Thank your local reps at election time. They did it to us.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Watch out if you are in Concord, N.C. there were writing tickets last fall, all Concord cops are asses, no one in surrounding towns are paying any attention so far, but Concord cops are asses on everything, have no idea what there problem is
The new helmet law didn't go into effect until January 2008.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:54 AM
ApeKing
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tpmurray

Explain how there could possibly be a Federally mandated helmet law. I know of no other Federal traffic laws. Would violations send you to Federal courts and be prosecuted by U.S. attorneys?

How they do it is by withholding Federal Highway funds if the state doesn't enact certain laws. Blood alcohol levels for instance.
Exactly the same way they mandated the 55mph speed limit a few yrs back. Im not for it at all! But I see it as inevitable. Big brother goverment is gonna protect us from ourselves! Yeah right! Im betting someone is already sitting on something of a federal helmet law or something that would force states to have one. Theyre just waiting until they figure out how to make the most F*cking money off of it!!!!!!!!

Old 02-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Pric8779
Cruiser

FMVSS 218 is not a law, it is a standard for testing and it is notfor consumers. The standard is for the manufacturers to have the right to put the DOT certification of compliance on their product to show that it provides what the NHTSA says is the minimum. It is not written in a way that converts to an enforceablestatute (law). Once the original design and prototype passes and the helmet model goes into production there is no way to prove it still meets the standard without sending every helmet back to a lab to be tested periodically. That would be the same as making every car remain w/in the FMVSS for its life cycle. This means NO alterations like sub-frame connecters and other stiffening mods that alter the crash characteristics. There are no laws that forbid this type of part or its use and no post consumer purchase inspection that enforces this type FMVSS criteria. I know there are safety inspections in some states but this is not their purpose.

Another point for clarification that I can't resist: the DOT symbol mentioned in the FMVSS is not part of the test; rather it is just a standard for common marking. Therefore the comment about not altering the helmet mentioned in the information to the consumer required by the standard does not mean the symbol can not be removed by the consumer to customize their PRIVATE property. It means don't alter the parts of the helmet that provide the tested protection if you want it to remain w/in the standard (or a close as possible due to deterioration from normal wear and tear). So IMO if you choose to cut eye holes in the back of the helmet and wear it backwards as long as it is securely fastened per the NC statue then it should be as legal as any other mod done to vehicles in rod shops and back yards all over this nation.

This is why I think this law would not meet the constitutionality test.

I'm done w/ my nightly rant now.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:04 PM
Cruise
Advanced

An interesing point about foam thickness. You'll find that *most* manufacturers use the same size outer shell for their various size helmets. They just use thicker foam for the smaller sizes for fitment. When someone a few posts back said they couldn't find a helmit that didn't make them look like a mushroom head I agree. An XL helmet looks a lot smaller on the large head and body than a small size does on a small head and body with the same size outer shell.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:29 AM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be worse, just ride through Denver with a nice set of loud pipes and see if you can escape town without a ticket. At least with a helmut you're protecting something and promoting safety, writing tickets for noise on a scoot just flat out sucks!

Old 02-15-2008, 07:30 AM
BigWheelBob
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you'all are missing the deal here in NC. My take on the whole thing is this. All summer long there are numerous poker runs in our area, and this has been getting alot of attention. There was a spot on the news about how much drinking goes on during these runs, and towards the end of last summer we had the presence of some leo's with us a couple times. I think part of the reason for the crack down is so they have a better reason to pull you, and check for dui's. I just dont think the helmets are the whole reason for this crack down.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:48 AM
SteveB FLH
Road Warrior

Here is a link to help anyone receiving a ticket in NC for non compliant helmet: www.bikercourt.com
Also a phone # 919-342-0403. This is advertised as a free service through a regional publication called Full Throttle magazine.
Good Luck and Ride Safe
SteveB

Quick Reply: Helmet Law (it is here)