Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Law (it is here)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 11:36 AM
bear95
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Helmet Law (it is here)

A helmet is like a condom. You know you should wear one but it feels better without it......

Old 02-07-2008, 11:43 AM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: dougbk

I got one and had a Trooper check it out and because it doesnt have 1" foam lining it is Illegal in NC. ACC has 5/8 foam.
You got me thinking so I checked my ACC helmet and my Super Seer and the Super Seer may be 1/16th to an 1/8 inch thicker but that is all. The Super Seer is one of the premier law enforcement half helmets on the market. They are worn by many law enforcement agencies and I would bet even agencies in NC. So I think I am going to have to call BS on the Trooper.
The trooper just read what he suppose to be looking for and what the law says line by line to me with discussion with each line. The Trooper also said and I quote, "It is a poorly written law." To many ? marks and not definative enough. If you would like to read a very simular pamplet to what he read to me go to NC DMV site, look under hot topic, click helmet, click at the bottom of the page concerning what is DOT and there you go. All the BS you want to read. NC is trying to redefine a FEDERAL law and I wish the feds would step in. They will not though. No one wants to touch the definition of DOT for fear of setting presidence. NC doesnt test helmets they just harrass Bikers. Thank your local reps at election time. They did it to us.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Always remember Big Brother loves you!

Old 02-07-2008, 11:49 AM
hdwd2000
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So much for freedom of choise.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

IamZardoz,

"they dont make people in convertibles wear helmets."

Yeah great point! The idiocy of Liberalism and the Nanny State knows no limits...

Old 02-07-2008, 12:02 PM
hdwd2000
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I ride with a full face in the winter, only because its cold. Don't care for it but oh well. We don't have a helmet law here in Pa. But when traveling u always seem to need one. I've yet to find a dot helmet that dosen't make me look like a mushroom head. So I aways toss my bennie in the bag. But don't get me wrong I'm still looking for that non mushroom head dot helmet.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts

The DOT threateningto withhold funds froms states without helmet laws is not a new tactic. That's the only way helmet laws can become universal. They could never stand on there own merit. In 1967 The federal highway safety act mandated helmet laws. 49 states complied. California fought back. In 1977 that portion of the highway safety act was changed. The result was helmet laws dropped like flies.

The Blackmail tactic, even if it were reinstated, would not be a federal helmet law anymore than it was in the 60's and 70's.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:07 PM
JIMPOLICE
Novice

Watch out if you are in Concord, N.C. there were writing tickets last fall, all Concord cops are asses, no one in surrounding towns are paying any attention so far, but Concord cops are asses on everything, have no idea what there problem is

Old 02-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Scootr
Road Master

Keep in mind that "court costs" is nothing to sneeze at either. In Charlotte the court costs on a ticket I got last fall (non motorcycle related and fortunatly I fought it and won) were around $120!!!!!! That could bring the total up close to $300 + the pain in the A$$!

Old 02-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Pric8779
Cruiser

Quick Reply: Helmet Law (it is here)