Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Law (it is here)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:00 AM
backnasaddle
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Helmet Law (it is here)

Ohio would also be one of those states that will ticket for no seatbelts but has no mandatory helmet law provided you have your endorsement and are 18 or over. Monkish, I rode through your fair state on the way down to Myrtle for Spring Bike week. We wore our helmets then. There was this little gas station/convenience store just across the NC/SC line that I SWEAR everysouthbound bike in the state was stopping at to tear that helmet off as fast as possible! It was about 85 that day, too. Lot of uncomfortable people hitting that place!!!! The owner must have made his YEAR that day! I'm assuming the law was in force back at that time? I suspect 5-0will lighten up on ticketing just for that over time and not use it as the primary reason for a stop.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone who is worried about the cost of caring for an injured biker who wasn't wearing a helmet being covered by taxes would be way better off worrying about all the other money the government wastes on pork projects, Medicare fraud and abuse, and the overall waste in all government agencies. The relative small number of dollars that might go toward medical care for non-helmet wearing bikers who don't have their own insurance is so laughably small its ridiculous.

I am personally starting to wear a helmet more frequently, especially when the wife and I ride together as we like using the intercom on our 08 UC, but when I ride alone I prefer my dew-rag. Now I do have medical insurance coverage, so its probably not an issue for me, but to make a case that this kind of medical bills would even end up adding a penny to any individuals taxes is ridiculous.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: olgreydog7

But, the way I ride, I'm much more likely to go down due to a car running into me than I am crashing cause of my own error. Bottom line, I don't wear one and I don't like states that try to make me.
Which is the part of the equation that you can't control. Sure, you may be an accomplished enough rider to keep your bike shiney-side-up when you, yourself are the only factor. Unfortunately since there are hundreds, if not thousands of other factors involved, why even take the chance?

I've gone through phases during my life on motorcycles as well. 3/4 at first, then full, then novelty, then DOT halfer, but today I'm back to a full facer (Scorpion EXO700) because I'm just not willing to take that chance anymore.

To each his own, and good luck to those who choose to not wear protection. I wouldn't get in a car anymore without buckling up. To me a helmet is to a motorcycle what a seat belt is to a car.

/shrug

Old 02-07-2008, 09:02 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have to wear one you minght as well get one that is DOT compliant and comfortable to wear. I highly recommend Advance Carbon Composite helmets. I have tried a bunch of helmetsincluding the novelty and like the ACCbest. I believe in choice, but live in a state where they are required.

http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/

Old 02-07-2008, 09:33 AM
amike
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well...Va. has started to crack down also. Was at the stealership last night and the parts guy told me that one of his bud's was stopped recently and because he was wearing a novelty helmet, the ticket was for wearing no helmet.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:11 AM
csbreeze
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: dougbk

If you have to wear one you minght as well get one that is DOT compliant and comfortable to wear. I highly recommend Advance Carbon Composite helmets. I have tried a bunch of helmetsincluding the novelty and like the ACCbest. I believe in choice, but live in a state where they are required.

They are illegal in NC. I got one and had a Trooper check it out and because it doesnt have 1" foam lining it is Illegal in NC. ACC has 5/8 foam.

Yes it is the best helmet I ever put on my head hands down just cant use it any more here.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Complaining doesn't accomplish Jack Squat. If you give a rat's a**, join and support ABATE. They lobby for motorcyclists rights, but it takes money to do that and it doesn't grow on trees! In California, our lobbying saw the passage of a reasonable handlebar law (6" or less above the rider's shoulders) after finally getting the CHP to stop blocking it.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 288 Likes on 191 Posts

First off I'm a AMA member and I think choice is better, but I wear one and always will, but that's me and my choice.
But here's my take on helmet laws.
Think about it, Mom and Dad with Jr in the back seat, a bunch or bike come by, loud exhaust, no helmets, Jr says I want a motorcycle, Mom and Dad " No way, too dangerous, no helmets, kill yourself.
Same thing Mom and Dad with Jr. Bikes come by, quite, everyone wearing protective gear, helmets etc....
Jr says hey I want a bike, Mom and Dad, say well maybe, doesn't look too bad...

Who benefits? , motorcycle sales! Motorcycles gear sells etc.....
That's why motorcycle companies support helmets....politicians could car less about us, MONEY is all that matters.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:07 AM
dougbk
Road Master

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: dougbk

[/blockquote]

They are illegal in NC. I got one and had a Trooper check it out and because it doesnt have 1" foam lining it is Illegal in NC. ACC has 5/8 foam.

Yes it is the best helmet I ever put on my head hands down just cant use it any more here.
That may be the case if NC's statute specificallyrequires one inch or more of foam, but most say "DOT approved" (even though DOT does not have an approved list). If it simply says DOT approved it does comply and the Trooper was issuing an opinion based on his training and not the actually DOT testing standards done by the manufacturer.

As a matter of fact ACC did a recall on my helmet because their testing indicated it was not meeting the DOT puncture standard so they replaced the black/grey foam with white foam which will comply even though it is the same thickness.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:17 AM
dougbk
Road Master

I got one and had a Trooper check it out and because it doesnt have 1" foam lining it is Illegal in NC. ACC has 5/8 foam.
You got me thinking so I checked my ACC helmet and my Super Seer and the Super Seer may be 1/16th to an 1/8 inch thicker but that is all. The Super Seer is one of the premier law enforcement half helmets on the market. They are worn by many law enforcement agencies and I would bet even agencies in NC. So I think I am going to have to call BS on the Trooper.

Quick Reply: Helmet Law (it is here)