Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Law (it is here)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Helmet Law (it is here)

Explain how there could possibly be a Federally mandated helmet law. I know of no other Federal traffic laws. Would violations send you to Federal courts and be prosecuted by U.S. attorneys?

How they do it is by withholding Federal Highway funds if the state doesn't enact certain laws. Blood alcohol levels for instance.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:25 AM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to me that if you're old enough to die in service in the armed forces of the country, and have health insurance (to keep me from paying for your head injury, etc), then It ought to be your choice as to whether or not to wear a helmet - and no one else should make the choice for you.

But there are people who drive without a license, so what's to stop a biker from going helmetless and yet not have health insurance to cover him/her if they loose it on the highway and get hit by a cage. I don't see how we can say "tough", he ain't got insurance, let him do the best he can. No, he's gonna get the attention he needs and guess who's gonna pay for it?

Of course, if he's got a helmet and no insurance, it's the same situation.

Hack

Old 02-07-2008, 12:37 AM
madmikee
Tourer

I know of one federal motorcycle law.
It comes under the truckers highway safety laws and allows modulating headlights on motorcycles

Iy will be very easy for the feds to pass a helmet law under highway safety rules.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:40 AM
IamZardoz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have gone thru all the stages over the past35 years on bikes; first DOT 3/4 helmets, then no helmet, then a "cheater helmet" and now I wear a DOT 1/2 helmet.Frankly the DOT 1/2 helmet is more comfortable to me than thecheater helmet was.I couldnt wear a full face helmet for a million bucks though, even though they are probably safer. I still think as long as you have health insurance you should have the right to chose, they dont make people in convertibles wear helmets.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:20 AM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]

Old 02-07-2008, 04:06 AM
62trvler
Tourer

The Gov has to protect itself from improperly maintained roads so if you bang your head they can blame the helmet.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:56 AM
vrscr_rider
6th Gear

When I was stationed in NC a while back my father in law at the time recieved one of these lovely tickets. He basically went to cort and showed it had a dot sticker on it then asked for a list of DOT approved helmets. Turns out there is no such list and the cort dropped the charges.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:58 AM
JakeF14
Advanced

If you want to keep your right to ride join the AMA they are always fighting for uswhen govt. trys to interfere.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:28 AM
big_al
Elite HDF Member

[sm=smarty.gif]Another reason to love florida besides riding all year long,,,,,

"No helmet Required"

[sm=happy046.gif][sm=smarty.gif][sm=smarty.gif][sm=smarty.gif]

Old 02-07-2008, 06:32 AM
olgreydog7
Road Captain

helmets are a false sense of security. If you look up the SNELL and DOT standards, they aren't that confidance inspiring. Basically, at freeway speeds, it'll be the difference in an open vs closed casket. Personally, I don't like the wind buffeting, loss of hearing ability, and blind spots that helmets create. I think riding defensivly is the best way to avoid crashing. I know there are two riders, one that has dropped a bike, and those who havn't yet. But, the way I ride, I'm much more likely to go down due to a car running into me than I am crashing cause of my own error. Bottom line, I don't wear one and I don't like states that try to make me.

Quick Reply: Helmet Law (it is here)