Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Law (it is here)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 07:48 PM
monkish
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Helmet Law (it is here)

I know it is safe and all that good stuff but.....

I am going to have a tough time finding something comfortable to fit my dang mellon

Old 02-06-2008, 07:55 PM
cegusa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe they take all that money they're gonna make and use it to figure out a way to bring water to this state before we cannot take showers due to the severe drought. Sorry a totally different issue but it doesn't make sense they way they go about things here. Thank goodness most of the folks are pleasant and the weather is nice enough for year round riding or bye bye NC.........

If you read the law, it says something about the lining being around and inch thick. What the heck does that mean?? 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, 15/16???

Old 02-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

Explain how there could possibly be a Federally mandated helmet law. I know of no other Federal traffic laws. Would violations send you to Federal courts and be prosecuted by U.S. attorneys?

The U.S D.O.T. in league with various state "Highway safety Bureaucrats" try to get them enacted using phony statistics. For example, here, they showed the fatality rate per registered motorcycles to have decreased after enacting a helmet law. When researched further we found that fatalities per reported accidents actually increased 22.9% during the same period with a helmet law. Which exposes you to injury, registering your bike or being in a reported accident? We got our law repealed 31 years ago and are still ridin' free.

The helmet law never had a thing to do with safety, it's the best marketing ploy in history! Legislation requiring you to buy their product.

The Japs got the Feds to mandate left side shifting in '75 to put the British bikes out of business. The helmet law was started to encourage the "sportbike" image, brightly colored leathers on brightly colored bikes and of course, every racer wears a helmet.

Anyone espousing helmet laws is trying to kill you! Wearing a helmet all the time is as bad as never wearing one. Different situations require different actions.

Just the opinion of an old helmet law fighter.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:07 PM
T Prescott
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: monkish

I am going to have a tough time finding something comfortable to fit my dang mellon
Try one of thesefor 100 bucks. It fits me like a glove.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:13 PM
monkish
Road Master

ORIGINAL: T Prescott

ORIGINAL: monkish

Try one of thesefor 100 bucks. It fits me like a glove.

Thanks, I will check them out. The wife likes the pink one. I will try to find someone local so I can try it on first. I did the mail order on a helmet before and I sent it back.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Dooley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8,972 Likes on 1,475 Posts

On one hand I think the Government should keep its nose out of my helmet or lack thereof.

On the other I can't figure why anyone would object to wearing a DOT helmet.

Novelty helmets are for novelty heads.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:21 PM
monkish
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Dooley

On one hand I think the Government should keep its nose out of my helmet or lack thereof.

On the other I can't figure why anyone would object to wearing a DOT helmet.

Novelty helmets are for novelty heads.
I hear you and am not that far off from agreeing 100%. But when you think about getting on 2 wheels going down the highway at speeds of 70mph or more .... I believe that is about as risky as you can get and the kind of helmet you need is based on what kind of impact you have. But that has been discussed before.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:33 PM
eglidetrike1
Road Master

I believe one of the rags had this in there article section a couple of months ago that this was coming to NC and the fines where stiff. I'll try to find it and post up the ruling.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:34 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is already a helmet law and its not like the argument is helmet vs no helmet. It damn sure ain't worth 170$.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't see anyone actually fighting the Helmet laws anymore. At least not locally. Sorry for this post on a NC thread.
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: Helmet Law (it is here)