Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

They wouldn't even talk to me as a buyer.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008 | 06:15 PM
btefft
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default They wouldn't even talk to me as a buyer.

It may be a bit late to bring this up, but I can't forget what happened to me when I set out to buy me the bike I now have the pleasure of owning. I was reminded of this because I saw another thread wanting to know how many of us thought our dealer was a stealer.

I can't wait, this summer i plan to ride back down to Daytona HD. I went down there just before I bought my 06 RK to see what they had. I was prepared to write a check. I walked in, on my two forearm crutches, looked around, saw a bike I liked, and discovered there was no price it, or any others, for that matter. Anyway, after being totally ignored by the sales staff, I finally got the attention of a salesman and told him I was thinking about buying a bike, I even told him of my plans to get a sidecar, I guess he took a look at me, with a missing leg and thought "yeah, sure". I don't think he took me seriously, even a little bit. He said something like, "Well, what are you willing to give for it?" I said, "I just want to know the price, out the door". Long story short - he never did give me a price, he simply walked away to talk to another customer. I got my feelings hurt, after being treated like crap - I left. I swore I'd never set foot in that place again.

Upon arriving back in Columbus, I went to our local dealer and that same day bought me my first bagger, my 06 RK Classic. Not only did Chattahoochee HD take me seriously, they were courteous and friendly. I walk back in there now and every one greets me, "Hey, Bobby", "How's it going, Bobby" - they remember my name. If I had known then, what I know now, I never would have gone to Daytona in the first place.

I know I swore I'd never set foot in that Daytona dealership again, but I've had a change of heart. I want them to know that they need to treat every one as a buyer - I certainly was. I hope the SOB who shrugged me off is still there.

Going back down there may not accomplish anything - but it will give me the satisfaction of getting in his face, so to speak. My wife said, "Don't get your hopes up, he may have already been fired." If he is not there, I'm still gonna have my say.

Hack

Old 02-05-2008 | 06:21 PM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Default RE: They wouldn't even talk to me as a buyer.

Sometimes ya just gotta get stuff off your chest.

Go for it.

If nothing else it'll bring you some personal satisfaction and closure. It might also clue in the dealerships management that they need to be a little more stringent in their hiring practices.

Hey, the manager might feel bad enough about it to offer up some recompense. Ya never know. =)

Old 02-05-2008 | 06:29 PM
TN Houndog
Outstanding HDF Member

Yep,
I had a similar experience with one of our local HD dealers.I had a little over 20K in cash with me and walked in looking to buy. Since I didn't look like one of the 1% ers that usually occupy that place No salesman would even talk to me. I drove across town and bought a new Honda and promptly rode it up to the front door of the HD dealership and told the owner that that bike sale could have been his if his salesman had taken the time to talk to me. Needless to sat that salesman was suddenly unemployed! That dealership has changed hands since then and is now my favorite place to do business.

Old 02-05-2008 | 06:33 PM
tjmac49
Outstanding HDF Member

The arrogance of some people. And, instead of respecting your handicap, the disrespect they showed you is inexcusable. I hope you get the faceoff you're hoping for. Good luck, Hack!

Old 02-05-2008 | 06:41 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member

Had a similar experience buying a car once.

Just came from the gym. Looking scraggly. Cold night out. Close to closing time.

Get on to the lot expecting to be mobbed by Joe Salesmen. No one came out of the warm showroom.

In fact the last of the salesgeeks were huddled around a tv watching the Lakers game.

No prob. I'm just looking. Out comes the Fleet Manager. Answers a few questions.

I sign a few papers and tell him I'll be back tomorrow to pickup the brand new car.

I show up the next day and the Fleet Mgr asks me if I wouldn't mind telling the Sales Mgr how he got the sale instead of the usual flloor guys.

I was happy to.

Told the Sales Mananger that none of his guys came out and asked him by the way how did he enjoy the game himself?

He was among them watching the game the night before.

He turned red, mumbled something and just walked away with his tail between his legs.

Fleet Mgr was the only one with enough sense to at least ask some scruffy guy on a cold night, close to closing time if he had any questions.

Primo

Old 02-05-2008 | 06:42 PM
rinja64
Road Master

Too bad there are those types of sales people out there. One of my biggest complaints about people in the Customer Service profession is the lack of training to be in that postion. Sometimes I think they only have one thing on their mind and it's not the customer.

A quick funny story - Back when plasma T.V's first came out, they were going for 20k if you remember. A buddy of mine was at Ultimate Electronics just looking around and over heard this. A guy came in, asked the young sales person, I would like to buy this T.V. and I would like to have it delivered tomorrow. The kid said best he could do was a week later. The guy then asked for the manager and asked the same question. The manager never hesitated and said "What time tomorrow will be good for you?"...

I hope you are able to speak to the guy and let him know how you feel...

Old 02-05-2008 | 06:47 PM
mhud
Road Captain

There is no excuse for that salesmans behavior but I'm sure you got a MUCH better deal. Daytona is the most expensive stealer I've ever been to, way over MSRP.

Old 02-05-2008 | 06:58 PM
roadgeek
Road Master

I see this at one of the Dealers near me. I dress up for work everyday. When I go to the service department in a dress shirt and pants I havehad employees advoid me. When I dress in jeans, and my harley jacket they are all over me. This is for sales and parts.

Old 02-05-2008 | 07:00 PM
eglidetrike1
Road Master

I once went to a high end jewelry store after work wearing dirty work clothes and my two young kids, I picked up an expensive ceramic thing that the wife likes and the sales lady said to me thats pretty expensive, then I take out my gold card for that store and boy did she have a change of heart after that.

Old 02-05-2008 | 07:00 PM
rustyrun
Tourer

ORIGINAL: rinja64

Too bad there are those types of sales people out there. One of my biggest complaints about people in the Customer Service profession is the lack of training to be in that postion. Sometimes I think they only have one thing on their mind and it's not the customer.

The whole thing is the ownersdemand immediate results therefore push very hard. I can understand this mindset as I am a sales manager by trade. Sales 101 however teaches you to be able to give a great experience therefore getting repeat business and referrals. I do not see that happening at many HD dealerships. Kind of like buying a car from "Fast Eddie". I won't go into my experience but after going through three seasoned sales reps the fourth guy, the"new guy" closed me. Why, because he earned my business. Still today the other three are very cold to me. How foolish of them as I am in the market for an '08.

Quick Reply: They wouldn't even talk to me as a buyer.