Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

They wouldn't even talk to me as a buyer.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008 | 09:54 AM
IamZardoz
Tourer
Default RE: They wouldn't even talk to me as a buyer.

When buying any vehicle, bike car or whatever, just remember YOU are in the drivers seat, not the salesman. He HAS to sell the bike or car, you dont have to buy anything. One method you can use that has worked best for me is just tell the salesman something like "Im buying a bike/car today, and whether or not its from you or _________ dealership across town, I dont care." If they are for real, they will know you are serious and treat you as a serious customer.Remember, YOU have the money in your pocket that they want and they HAVE to sell the bike to somebody.

Old 02-07-2008 | 09:57 AM
SkipB
Cruiser

The big dealer in Houston is Mancuso and there is a location near me. I went there on a Saturday morning and nobody would even look at me! I finally asked the receptionist if someone could help me?, I was there because I wanted to purchase a new Street Glide and accessories. She got all hateful and told me to "just go over there and wait, maybe somebody will come and help you". I waited, then left. I then called them and asked for a sales person. No one was available so I left a message. No call back. I called them back and asked for the fax number. I sent a detailed fax asking for sales, and with a list of accessories to add to a new Street Glide. No reply. Meanwhile a friend had the same experience there. When he was leaving, he met some riders who had pulled up outside. They said "you can't buy a bike here, and they won't deal. Go to Cowboy H-D in Beaumont". That is what I did (2 hours east of here) Nice people and great sevrice. Spent $26,769.69 there, plus a 5-year warranty. My friend spent over $30,000 at another dealer, in Temple, TX, who are very nice people. I guess the old dealers just think they can charge whatever and treat you however. Mancuso has "mandatory" accessories and charges added on. You can take it or leave it! I left it!

Old 02-07-2008 | 10:35 AM
gordo24fan
Tourer

I had the same experience at a local dealership myself. I ended up buying from a dealership 40 miles away from my house. I went back to the dealership later on my new bike to look at some chrome at a later date and was asked where I purchased my bike. When I told them my story about being ignored they were not only floored by what had happened, but gave me a 20% discount on my parts.

Old 02-07-2008 | 11:17 AM
carlosgtn
Advanced

Any experienced salesman knows better not to judge people by their looks, and the reason why they know it is because they had a bad experience at some point in their career where they make the mistake of just doing that. I have been in the car business for many yrs and have seen it happen more often than it should. Your seet ir happen more often in big metro areas, not so much in small comminities where deales depend on their reputation.

Old 02-07-2008 | 11:48 AM
extech
Road Master

There's lots of dealers around these days. If you go in and it just doesn't feel right or you just don't connect with the salespeople, go down the road. Most of all be educated before you walk in the door to buy, poke around on the internet,most dealers offer some kind of incentives to buy from them.

Old 02-07-2008 | 12:11 PM
btefft
|
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Big Peter

ORIGINAL: btefft

It may be a bit late to bring this up, but I can't forget what happened to me when I set out to buy me the bike I now have the pleasure of owning. I was reminded of this because I saw another thread wanting to know how many of us thought our dealer was a stealer.

I can't wait, this summer i plan to ride back down to Daytona HD. I went down there just before I bought my 06 RK to see what they had. I was prepared to write a check. I walked in, on my two forearm crutches, looked around, saw a bike I liked, and discovered there was no price it, or any others, for that matter. Anyway, after being totally ignored by the sales staff, I finally got the attention of a salesman and told him I was thinking about buying a bike, I even told him of my plans to get a sidecar, I guess he took a look at me, with a missing leg and thought "yeah, sure". I don't think he took me seriously, even a little bit. He said something like, "Well, what are you willing to give for it?" I said, "I just want to know the price, out the door". Long story short - he never did give me a price, he simply walked away to talk to another customer. I got my feelings hurt, after being treated like crap - I left. I swore I'd never set foot in that place again.

Upon arriving back in Columbus, I went to our local dealer and that same day bought me my first bagger, my 06 RK Classic. Not only did Chattahoochee HD take me seriously, they were courteous and friendly. I walk back in there now and every one greets me, "Hey, Bobby", "How's it going, Bobby" - they remember my name. If I had known then, what I know now, I never would have gone to Daytona in the first place.

I know I swore I'd never set foot in that Daytona dealership again, but I've had a change of heart. I want them to know that they need to treat every one as a buyer - I certainly was. I hope the SOB who shrugged me off is still there.

Going back down there may not accomplish anything - but it will give me the satisfaction of getting in his face, so to speak. My wife said, "Don't get your hopes up, he may have already been fired." If he is not there, I'm still gonna have my say.

Hack
Hi Bobby,

I have sent an email to Daytona HD on how they treated you [:@]
Their reply is in my PM to you.
In short: Mr. Rossmeyer (the big boss ) wants to apologize to you personally
when you get to Daytona

Greetz,
Peter (Netherlands)
Thank you. I will give Mr Rossmeyer the benefit of the doubt - I realize that he might not know of the behavior of this paricular salesman - after all, Mr. Rossmeyer is in business to sale bikes, right. I'll call them before I hit the road south to Florida.

Thanks again.

Hack

Old 02-08-2008 | 02:02 AM
SWOON
Novice

I went to pick up my bike at the dealership in Temecula California. Since it was so far away I brought my trailer. As I was pulling in my access was blocked by a red pickup truck parked in the Fire Lane. I went inside and waited quite awhile until a salesman walked by and I asked him if he coud help me locate the owner of the truck so that I could get through the parking lot. He blew me off and said, "Can't you see I am busy with a customer." I walked out to my truck as I couldn't turn it around. The sales guy came out about 15 minutes later moved the truck telling me it was the owners truck like I was supposed to start trembling or something. He then admonished me for puliing in the parking lot with a trailer. I told him to tell the owner two things.

#1 I can and will cite him for parking in a Fire Lane
#2 The sale is off and I showed him the cashiers check as I tore it up.

Old 02-08-2008 | 09:16 PM
6Clicks
Cruiser

I know how you feel, but I wouldn't give those douche bags another minute of my time. If the salesman doesn't think he has a chance with a customer he won't waste his place in the rotation. No matter what you do those people aren't going to change. They have so many wealthy a-holes coming in that place they just don't need people like us. There are so many suckers out there that will pay a premium for a Harley that they just don't have to be polite or anything else. These RUBS don't even know the proces because many of them don't shop price. They're in Daytona in the big showroom and they want to be able to tell theiraccountant buddies that they bought it while they were there.I would just stay away and forget it. They're not worth the emotion.