Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

They wouldn't even talk to me as a buyer.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008 | 12:04 AM
madmikee
Tourer
Default RE: They wouldn't even talk to me as a buyer.

My brothers father in law told me this story:

When asked by the owner how he could be selling twice as much as the other salespersons, he stated, I look for the guys with **** on their shoes and rags for clothes. No one else will talk to them and they always have the cash on hand' The other guys think they are too important to talk to these low lifes.

Old 02-07-2008 | 12:33 AM
FlaHeritage
Advanced

I see things have not changed much in 12 years at Daytona Harley. I walked in that dealership one day back in 96 looking to buy a bike and got the same treatment and unbelievable prices on used bikes. Salesman not willing to barter on prices, that "Take it or leave it attitude" that was rampant back in the days of waiting lists onnew bikes. Tried to steer me onto a 4 yr old bike at the price of new one at MSRP. F**k That!
I got my revenge that day when I walked two blocks down and bought a brand new Heritage from a "Independent Shop". I rode back by Daytona Harley on my way out of town. I'll never forget the look on the salesman's face as I gave him the one finger salute while slowly driving by! Worth every penny I spent on it for that reason alone and I still have it to this day, won't ever sell it. I say go back and show them what for!

Old 02-07-2008 | 03:07 AM
hondaherb
Road Captain

Simular situation, about 10 years ago I was looking at new boats, went to the local dealer and couldn't agree on a price(about $55,000)n the days when cell phones weren't heard of and we couldn't make long distant call from work. I decided I wanted the boat and had my wife to call the dealer to have him call me to finalize the deal. He never called me, a week later we went to another dealer and bought another boat. The first time I put the boat in the water, I went to this dealers dock and showed him my new boat. I also told him that if he had spent fifty cents on a phone call he would have sold me a boat. Makes you wonder how some people stay in business.

Old 02-07-2008 | 03:16 AM
Big Peter
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: btefft

It may be a bit late to bring this up, but I can't forget what happened to me when I set out to buy me the bike I now have the pleasure of owning. I was reminded of this because I saw another thread wanting to know how many of us thought our dealer was a stealer.

I can't wait, this summer i plan to ride back down to Daytona HD. I went down there just before I bought my 06 RK to see what they had. I was prepared to write a check. I walked in, on my two forearm crutches, looked around, saw a bike I liked, and discovered there was no price it, or any others, for that matter. Anyway, after being totally ignored by the sales staff, I finally got the attention of a salesman and told him I was thinking about buying a bike, I even told him of my plans to get a sidecar, I guess he took a look at me, with a missing leg and thought "yeah, sure". I don't think he took me seriously, even a little bit. He said something like, "Well, what are you willing to give for it?" I said, "I just want to know the price, out the door". Long story short - he never did give me a price, he simply walked away to talk to another customer. I got my feelings hurt, after being treated like crap - I left. I swore I'd never set foot in that place again.

Upon arriving back in Columbus, I went to our local dealer and that same day bought me my first bagger, my 06 RK Classic. Not only did Chattahoochee HD take me seriously, they were courteous and friendly. I walk back in there now and every one greets me, "Hey, Bobby", "How's it going, Bobby" - they remember my name. If I had known then, what I know now, I never would have gone to Daytona in the first place.

I know I swore I'd never set foot in that Daytona dealership again, but I've had a change of heart. I want them to know that they need to treat every one as a buyer - I certainly was. I hope the SOB who shrugged me off is still there.

Going back down there may not accomplish anything - but it will give me the satisfaction of getting in his face, so to speak. My wife said, "Don't get your hopes up, he may have already been fired." If he is not there, I'm still gonna have my say.

Hack
Hi Bobby,

I have sent an email to Daytona HD on how they treated you [:@]
Their reply is in my PM to you.
In short: Mr. Rossmeyer (the big boss ) wants to apologize to you personally
when you get to Daytona

Greetz,
Peter (Netherlands)

Old 02-07-2008 | 05:21 AM
IronButt62
Cruiser

My story: 15 years ago I decided an RV would be more practical and economical than renting an apartment. Went to all the dealers looking at their used stuff. One dealer had a sweet Bluebird but basically wouldn't give me the time of day at first then tried to get me into something smaller that I didn't want but that he thought I could afford.

Long story short I bought what I wanted out the classifieds.

But here's the beauty of it. Teh guy I bought from agreed to service it before I picked it up and guess where the previous owner had it serviced. Same dealership that had jerked me around.

Big smile when I got to tell the salesman that I was there to pick up my new RV.

No issue with HD dealers beause both my bikes were used. (87 heritage bought in 89 at Seminole and an 02 Ultra bought this year on E-bay) Feel like I stole them both!

HACK, please let us know how things go with Rossmyer.

Old 02-07-2008 | 06:04 AM
towboattrash34
Banned

a dodge dealer did me like that...i went 50 miles dowm the road and bought 1 the same day and then went back to the dealer that blowed me off opened the door and started telling everyone/customers and all what they have done and what i did and that they would never get my busness and walked out.....you should of seen everyones face.....hehehehe.....i loved it cause i made sure everyone heard me.. so this is not just H-D dealers....it is everywere

Old 02-07-2008 | 06:39 AM
Crazycoop
Advanced

Same story here.
Went to a dealer (1 mile from me)to buy a four wheeler, cash in hand. Also had an add from another dealer 2 hours away. The add stated a certain price and when showing it to the dealer closest to my home he said no way. Those guys only have one bike and it's sold, only one color, blah, blah, blah. He has the one I want in stock and the color I want for $1,000.00 more. I just pulled out my phone and called the guy on the add, sitting at the salesman's desk and started asking him questions. Seems he had the bike I wanted in the color I wanted and was willing to put my name on it and hold it for me.
I just pulled the phone from my ear and said can you do that price or not? The salesmen said no.
I said see ya later, I have a 2 hour drive ahead of me.
The guy actually stayed open an extra hour and waited on me just to make the sale. Such a nice guy I took him and his wife to dinner that night. We've been friends ever since.
Go figure.....

Old 02-07-2008 | 08:10 AM
Fishermanbb
Advanced

I just went through something like this...I was buying two bikes at once. My friend took me to his dealer where he has bought 5 bikes and is well connected. They treated me like royalty....Toured the place, spoke to the GM, sales manager , etc.....Then I left to think about it for a week....They gave me a few numbers on my trated (Metrics) which were ridiculously low but I knew that would be the case and I lived with it.

I went in the next week with what I thought was a VERY reasonable offer. I took their trade numbers, MSRP on the bikes and added some things to effectively discount. Normally I work a dealer pretty hard but I wanted a relationship that would last so I was very easy on them in my offer (So i thought). When I went in they were all smiles and "Are you ready".....I gave them a sheet of paper with my offers on the TWO bikes. 10 minutes later they came back with...."We're not interested"....No counter, nothing. So I asked what they were willing to do....Another half hour.....We're going to pass....Basically they said they would sell them for MSRP, Freight &Prep (995), The silly numberso nmy trades and maybe a few hundred off all the extras.

I said "Thanks.....I'll pass"......When my buddy and I got bakc in the truck he was stunned....I told him another dealer would be more interested....He didn't believe me so we drove to another dealer. Guess what: FIRST offer the dealer gave me was 3K better than the first. Then, he sweetened it by another 1500......I was treated professionally and guess what...I bought TWO bikes right there.....And have added over 5K in accessories since then...I haven't even taken delivery of the second bike yet........I had the deposit in my hand at the first dealer.....They didn't even want to make the effort....I think they figured since I was new to HD I had stars in my eyes and they had me no matter what.......WRONG...This isn't my first rodeo.....I didn't make a killer deal but I got a reasonable price for my trades and a fair deal (In the HD world) and I'm happy......I'll drive farther to my dealer but at least I trust him......

Old 02-07-2008 | 08:12 AM
hounddogg
Tourer

There is no excuse for that salesmans behavior

Old 02-07-2008 | 09:01 AM
sweet07
Outstanding HDF Member

Dude. I could be REAL aggressive in my response to this in your defense. I hope you have the opportunity to "Get in his FACE"! Good luck. let us know how it turns out. Eryk

Quick Reply: They wouldn't even talk to me as a buyer.