Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 04:56 PM
kjmorgan
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Road King Handlebars

I've been doing some research on Road Kings and a recurring theme seems to be how bad the stock "beach bars" on a Road King are. Vast majority of people have replaced them.

Does anyone know if Harley finally got smart and got rid of these at some point? Which model year? Are the new, stock bars OK or is everyone replacing these, too?

Thanks!

Old 02-05-2008, 04:59 PM
murph3204
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Road King Handlebars

They got smart by NOT replacing them. Think of all of the $ they receive by people having them replaced.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Will likely be replacing my stock RK Custom bars with the Chubby 513 8.5 inch mini-apes. The stock bars are OK but not real comfortable over the long haul.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:17 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior

I just put the SE RK wide bars on my 08 RKC. I have not had a chance to ride yet because they are still working on a few things, but I sat on a new SE RK and the bars seemed great! by the way, how do you put a photo in your signature! I'm baffled.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:22 PM
ezlife
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 6' and changed the stock bars on my '07 RK to RK High Bars about8 mnths ago. They are definitely better than stock, but I'm changing them again to chubby 502s. 12.5" (502)rise vs. 8.5" (RK HB)and can hide the wires. Should've did it from the get go but cash was lite. RK High was $49 and didn't have to change any cables. Here's a pic of the RK HB and the stock if it helps. Back more comfortable with hands at shoulder height.

Stock

RK HB

Old 02-05-2008, 05:34 PM
kjmorgan
Road Captain

So I'm guessing from these replies that the MOCO did NOT change the bars. Friend has an 04 with Heritage bars. You guys went with other RK bars or 3rd party (Chubby).

Thanks again.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Norm
Cruiser

If you are referring to an 08 Road King I believe the bars are different and supposedly improved.
Harley's literature for the bike says "Added comfort in the new seat and handlebar position". I would go to the dealer and see how it feels to you. I was used to riding an 03 SE Deuce before my RKC and I find the handlebar position on the RCvery comfortable for me.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

I don't believe the stock bars are classified as true beach bars...or at least I've never heard them classified as such. Those bars that came on the RK Custom a couple of years ago may have come close. Take a look at the dimensions table for HD's beach bars andcompare themto the stockbars that came on your bike and you'll see how apparent the difference in both is. Or go to the Wild 1 web site and see their true beach bars.

The recurring theme is that the stock bars are miserable barsand are commonly replaced by Heritage, Apes, Wild 1 508's, 518's and true beach bars.

Good luck on your search.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:52 PM
rde
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stock bars on the 08 Road Kingare called "Buffalo Bars". Good luck finding out how this bar compares to others-measurements are cryptic at the HD website.

I can ride for a few hours with the stockers, but after awhile my arms and shoulders get tight and ache. There are so few options out there at this time I plan to wait. I looked at the SE Road King "fat" bar, but still didn't give me what I wanted.

The first thing I plan to do is change the seat and see if that helps. I've always been happy with Corbin saddles and I'll first try that before getting intomore expenseby changing out the bars. The seat isn't that bad overall-could be tolerable with a rider backrest for short hops.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Lewd_Dude
Road Master

my 08 king classic bars sit a little higher than my father-in-laws 2005 rk standard...

Quick Reply: Road King Handlebars