Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 07:33 PM
kjmorgan
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Road King Handlebars

ORIGINAL: Norm

If you are referring to an 08 Road King I believe the bars are different and supposedly improved.
Harley's literature for the bike says "Added comfort in the new seat and handlebar position". I would go to the dealer and see how it feels to you. I was used to riding an 03 SE Deuce before my RKC and I find the handlebar position on the RCvery comfortable for me.
This must be where I got the idea that they'd been changed or improved. Of course, improvement is in the eyes of the beholder! Sounds like plenty of buyers are still not 100% satisfied with the '08 bars.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:55 PM
77earp
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They've been using "Buffalo" bars for years on the Road Kings. You might want to try the Police RK bars. They run closer to Heritage style bars, and are made for "All Day"/Long-Term use.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:20 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

My 08 bars were uncomfortable. I'm 5'8" and they were a little bit of a reach. Always leaning forward on to my hands. Bought a new Mustang one piece seat that moved me closer and now I sit more up right and the bars are closer. More comfortable but could still be just a tad closer. Of course now my feet are a little more forward than I'd like.

The salesman that sold me my first bike told me he believes that Harley purposely buildsall of the bikesa little uncomfortable so people will buy seats, handlebars, ect.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They've been using "Buffalo" bars for years on the Road Kings.
The bars on the 08's are different, I haven't done any measuring but they're very close to the RK high bars.

You might want to try the Police RK bars. They run closer to Heritage style bars,
The bars on the police bikes are Heritage bars.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:14 PM
kjmorgan
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: EdwardK

My 08 bars were uncomfortable. I'm 5'8" and they were a little bit of a reach. Always leaning forward on to my hands. Bought a new Mustang one piece seat that moved me closer and now I sit more up right and the bars are closer. More comfortable but could still be just a tad closer. Of course now my feet are a little more forward than I'd like.

The salesman that sold me my first bike told me he believes that Harley purposely buildsall of the bikesa little uncomfortable so people will buy seats, handlebars, ect.
How sad would that be if it were true!!

Old 02-06-2008, 01:06 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was reading a test of the '08 RK Standard in AI last night. The article stated that the bars were changed out this year to bring them a little closer to the pilot.

CN

Old 02-06-2008, 01:16 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Will likely be replacing my stock RK Custom bars with the Chubby 513 8.5 inch mini-apes.
I have the WO Chubby 513s on my '05 RK Classic. The first time I rode any distance with them I got a bit of discomfort between the shoulder blades. (something I had never felt before with the stockers, but had heard others complain of) Never felt it again after that first ride, and the 513s are a big improvement.
I then added a C&C solo seat and that raised the level of 'fit' of the 513s up even further, somehow. If you're interested I have a bunch of pics of the 513s. (the stock RK Custom bars are not the same as the stock RKC bars though)

513s are NOT installed on bike in sig pic below.

CN

Old 02-06-2008, 03:09 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member

Stock bars on '07 RK (and some other models too) are called "Road King Low" bars, Part# 56552-95. Don't know about '08 Part# but '07 # is not the same #for what HD calls "beach bars" or "buckhorns". Besides,the problem's not simply the bars - it's the seat too and 07' seat is definitely not he exact same seat as '08.

Problems is, even after so many H-bar threads, the jury's still out on what combo is best but no surprise - HDs don't come with seat tracks or tilt-wheels either andconsider inseam lengths, torso heights, shoulder widths, arm lengths,wrist angles, etc.... well.... .

I'll just say that I'm 6'1" with 32" inseam and have no idea about the other measurements but I'm surehappy with the Mustang solo and Wide-Glide bars on my '07 RK. The bars were a straight swap after a little bit ofcareful brake-line bending.

Hope that's some info you can use tohelp you decide Kj.

Steve

Old 02-06-2008, 05:04 AM
phantomxrt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. Am awaiting delivery of my second HD, an 08 RKC, here in Sydney, Australia. Even just by sitting onthe RKCs in the dealershipI can see that the first mod will have to be the bars. The stockers just don't suit my riding position. So it'll be a toss-up between the WO518s and the 08 SERK bars. Would any of you have any thoughts as to how they compare?

JCBPA, I'm leaning toward the SERK bars and would be grateful for your opinion especially.

Thanks in advance guys and girls.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:59 AM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

I didn't like the fit of the Road King, for me, I'm about 5'10". If I would have got one, the bars were going to have to come in and inch or so or something. I dodoubt very seriously it's the intentions of HD to build bikes that don't fit but why don't the bars fit average riders better, who knows. That being said, I dohave a couple buddies that don't complain about theirs yet.

Quick Reply: Road King Handlebars