Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

***to dyno or not to dyno.... have some SERT Map questions....

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Duke of HD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***to dyno or not to dyno.... have some SERT Map questions....

I am thinking of getting some sort of fuel management (SERT) for my 08 FLHX, currently I have a stock bike except for some older SE Slipons. I am looking to get a Big Sucker and a new exhaust, probably BUB 7's

What I want to know is...... are there cannedmaps that can be downloaded for certain setups out there? Or is the Dyno a requirement for the SERT? I want more performance but dont really want to chase down 2hp on the dyno if there is a canned map that will work. On the other hand I do not want to be running incorrect timing and such due to Altitude differences, I am at around 5800ft.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: ***looking for some performance have some SERT Map questions....

I would bite the bullet and have it dynoed. Not just to get the most hp out of it, but to make sure everything is tweaked to run the best it can.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:10 PM
vinnieee
Cruiser
Default RE: ***looking for some performance have some SERT Map questions....

I'm going with base map #100 when I install the SERT. Also, maxing out CBL table(s). The SERT comes with a manual and this should be read first.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ***to dyno or not to dyno.... have some SERT Map questions....

Having worked at a HD dealer I will tell you if you spend the money on a SERT and don't dyno you have wasted your money. I don't have a SERT so I'm not trying to push one on you....just saying if you are going to spend the big $$$ get all the bang for your buck. Dealers love to sell the SERT and the dyno time !!!!

Old 02-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Duke of HD
Tourer

The other option that looks VERY interesting is the thundermax although not avail for my scoot yet. It is definately more $$$ but if you factor in dyno time then it really is not too much more coin.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:34 PM
n.o.yat
Cruiser

i talked to the dealer this morn about dyno and they said to expect about four hours on the dyno. that seeems like a lot of hard time on my bike.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:07 PM
rock92
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

i ran a v&h fuel pak with a stage I, stock headers and v&h slip-ons when i first got my bike. it ran ok, some sputtering, and hot as hell as all can attest to on the new motors. went back with v&h true duals and the sert with the dyno time. huge difference. runs like a scalded dog with a big reduction in motor heat. the factory setup has the rear cyclinder very lean, which causes most of the heat issues. by using the sert and dyno time, you can adjust the fuel ratio on the rear cylinder and properly tune the motor. yeah, its extra bread, but the difference in how your bike runs is worth it.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:14 AM
Forget About It
Banned

better to be safe then sorry

Old 02-05-2008, 06:44 AM
SpikeCT
Road Captain

ok this is my opinion only!!!! If using a sert and no way yo adjust afr then a dyno is recommended... If using a sert with a HQ tuner that adjusts your afr then I would say do it yourself. Tmax, DTT i would say no dyno.... Lets think about this.... I would rather tune my bike for best performance in the cruise range cause that is where you ride. Sure you can tune it for max power and still have a crappy running bike. How much time do you really ride at full throttle? I know I don't ride there.... SO i would rather tune for cruise range and that is where the Tmax and DTT excel without doing dyno runs. It will adjust the top end if you spend time up there but of course you would need to hit that area a few times for it.....

Old 02-05-2008, 07:10 AM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Before I picked up my bike, I had RHTD's SERT SEAC installed, they loaded one of the available maps and either they got real lucky or one is available that is close or match's that setup. Rode the bike from NYC to Fl. with no heat issues although I sometimes get some popping on decel when it's hot (traffic). With about 4,000 + miles on it, I was going to dyno it. The day I went they didn't have time to tune it that day but did have time for a couple of runs to get a baseline #, cheap enough. The result was 76+ hp 88+ tq. The tuner (very reputable and well known, Tampa Bay area) said in all honesty, he didn't think he could get much more out of it, certainly not enough to justify the cost. I'm one of those guys that can never leave well enough alone and got the SERT knowing that I would be doing a 103 build down the road and would need to have it tuned and since it was at time of purchase, there were some discounts.
I would suggest thinking about what you see yourself doing with the bike and going from there; I picked my bike up in Oct. '07 and there didn't seem to be that much of a choice in maps at the time; I don't believe that's the case today. Bottom line, IMHO, I think you can get by just fine for now with the SERT and a map, mine runs just fine, pulls strong enough to give me that stupid looking grin that you may have heard about. My only problem is deciding which cam I'm gonna run until I save up enough pennies to do the 103!

Forgot to mention, spent quite a bit of time on Latus' site (and several others) looking at dyno sheets (til I was cross eyed) with similar mods (stage 1) and from what I've been able to find my numbers are right in the 'ball park' and slightly higher than most of them. I'm sure not all of those I looked at were running canned maps, at least a few probably had been tuned but again, the numbers were similar the only real difference being the size and range of the dip in the tq curve, and not a whole lot of difference there either. Once I do more than just let it breathe a bit, absolutely, it goes on the dyno but we certainly ain't talking major mods here!

Quick Reply: ***to dyno or not to dyno.... have some SERT Map questions....