Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Life

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 01:53 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Battery Life

Adverage life is 2-3 years. I would recommend the HD battery thatfits your bike. It is a direct replacement, drops in and holds up guite well, as good as any aftermarket and you don't have any modifications to get it to fit. Price is about the same.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Old 02-04-2008, 03:48 PM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 04' police EG felt like it was starting to crank ever so slightly slower,bought a new HD battery for it $109.95 ,next daythe originalwas dead when i tried to start the bike,was glad i bought the new one when i did,couple minute swap out and it cranks better than it did when i bought the bike. 3 yrs and your on a prayer after that.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Beancount1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a question related to this. If I don't use a battery tender, and the bike still starts right up after a couple month in the garage, doesn't running the bike for a while recharge the battery to where it would be if I had used a battery tender? In other words, isn't the tender really just for that first start, then it recharges on it own anyway?

Old 02-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you buy a new battery make sure it is fully charged before you put it in the bike. You will not get a full charge from the bike's charging system and will end up with a weak battery that will never charge to its full potential. Same goes for a new car battery....should always be charged before installing.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Beancount1

I have a question related to this. If I don't use a battery tender, and the bike still starts right up after a couple month in the garage, doesn't running the bike for a while recharge the battery to where it would be if I had used a battery tender? In other words, isn't the tender really just for that first start, then it recharges on it own anyway?
No, not really. The battery tender maintains the battery at full charge. So that first start after a couple months is on a virtually fresh battery. Not one slightly depleted from sitting. Also, running the bike does charge, but also places demand on the battery. The battery tender extends battery life.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:41 PM
rustyrun
Tourer

I will not say how long since this would jinx it however my bike is an '02 and original is still intact.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Rev00
Tourer

Got right at 5 years out of my original. Going on 3 years with the replacement.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:43 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

Great thread, just replaced my 4 yer old battery yesterday. Thankfully it went dead in my garage because it gave no warning and was charged one day and stone dead the next. EFI (especially aftermarket units like TMax) alarm systems and other electrical items draw small amounts of miliamps when the ignition is off, so a trickle charger will not only keep battery fully charged, it will extend the life.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:00 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I got 7 years out of my original in my '97 Heritage Springer. I replaced it because it tested a little low and it was actually my starter drive. Sat in an unheated garage without a battery tender.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:26 AM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my fat boy for five years and since new I always used the battery tender and never had to replace it it worked great, now I also use it on my SG and so far no problems. Battery tender is the way to go, I have three of them one for the hot rod, one for the scoot and one for my bass boats battery..

Quick Reply: Battery Life