Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Florida auto train diary

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:33 AM
BigPapa
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Florida auto train diary

Couple of months ago I asked the forum if anyone had taken the autotrain from Va to Fla. As usual, forum members were great with the responses, all positive, and also some great advice. Several asked for pics and a few words on the experience. Here you are: The wife and I left Lorton on 25 Jan and returned on 3 Feb. Following good advice on packing, we took 3 days of clothes, toiletries, cell phone, camera, leathers and light jackets, walking shoes, tom tom gps and cash. I decided against buying a big bag to strap down to the luggage rack and opted for a smaller soft bag based on laying everything out beforehand. We actually had room in the trunk for a few gifts on the return trip. We wanted a free flowing, go where the bike takes us vacation, so we only reserved a place for two nights in Treasure Island south of Tampa. I watched the weather for a week before we left and the morning of the 25th was COLD. 19 when we woke up, 34 (see the thermometer pic) when we left the house at noon for the 90 minute trip to Lorton. I decided we could take the cold for that long and decided to ride instead of trailer to the train station. It was cold, but bearable, thanks to leathers and a constant flow of adrenaline to be off on a great adventure. We got to Lorton about 2:00, and the crew directed me to a ramp and the whole process was great. I drove the bike onto the pallet and the guy put the straps where I told him. He was very helpful and assured me the bike would be OK. I put the security system in transport mode (thanks to a forum member tip!) and watched as they loaded the pallet on the train using a small tractor. Going down, we were the only bike on the trip. Amtrak: I am very impressed with Amtrak. From check-in, to the ride down, the great service, and a great surf and turf dinner with wine, it was a very enjoyable experience down and back. I got the small sleeper (it is small) but this was the way to go. I wish the airlines were as good in the service dept as Amtrak. The only complaint: The train rides on CSX cargo lines down the east coast. It is a very bumpy ride at times. We slept, but in spirts, and at times I thought I was going to be tossed out of the rack. Thankfully there are straps to keep you from falling out. We got to Sanford at 8:30 and by 9 we were on the road. The weather on the first day was in the 60's with showers, but not enough to make us stop. The boss (wife) decided we didn't need the rain suits (we can just stop and get a motel and drink she said....) Fortunately we only had rain that first day as we made our way to Gainsville to visit with a friend. We left his place on Sunday, stopped by the Don Garlitz drag museum, ate some great barbeque at Sonny's and arrived in Treasure Island about 5. We checked into our beachfront resort and for the next two days enjoyed weather in the low 70's, some great riding down to Lido beach, and great food and atmosphere at several places. Wednesday we rode over to Ruskin on the other side of Tampa Bay, stayed with a friend, and left Thursday for Cocoa Beach. We stayed in Cocoa Beach until Saturday morning and arrived at the Sanford station about 1:30. The trip back was bumpier than the one down, but the bottom line is we were very satisfied with Amtrak and are already planning a fall trip. On the way back we were joined on the train by 5 other bikes and a group of great folks from W.Va. They had come in the week before and had ridden to the keys. They estimated they did over 1000 miles on their trip. We rode about 600 miles during our week. Observations: Although the weather was great, ranging from 60's early in the week to 85 on Saturday, we should have waited until the end of February. The highways in Fla are very bike friendly. Utra's are only happy doing 80 or more on Hwy 75 and I4. I was warned about Fla drivers, but I didn't encounter any problems at all. Bottom line: This was a great experience and one we will repeat. It sure got rid of the winter blues. Here are som

Old 02-04-2008, 02:24 PM
jferna
Cruiser
Default RE: Florida auto train diary

Thanks for your post. I will use the Autotrain someday and your experience and photos take all the mystery out of what to expect. Glad to hear you had a great trip. And judging from your avatar, a humble THANKS to you for your service to our country !

Old 02-04-2008, 02:59 PM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too am a fan of the auto train, having taken it from Florida to Virginia and then riding the bike back. For those of you considering it, I recommend searching the rate schedules as they vary greatly according to dates. I went last year for $200 (me and the bike) but others have told me they paid up to $350. Also take soft ear plugs and a sleeping mask if you are going to sleep in the regular cars. Lot of folks walking up and down the aisle in the middle of the night!

BigPapa, next time take the back roads-lot of good scenery out there and the interstates can be brutal during tourist season. There is a loop north of Tampa that goes through a lot ofrelaxing places and runs directly into Sanfordwithout much traffic. Takes just a little longer than the interstate but a lot more fun.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:40 PM
Electricjaws
6th Gear

Thanks for the info. I am planning to take the trip on the auto train on April 5th with 10 other bikers. We plan to make the trip to Key West and return on the 13th. According to the letter we got from AMTRACK, the train will not load motorcycles with large windshields. They limit the height of bikes to 57.5". My Electraglide Standard measures 61". I was going to replace the windsheild but your bike appears to have a stock shield. Did you have any trouble with the height of your bike? I did not want to have to remove the windsheild before loading.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:54 PM
metal_mike
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds awesome.. ive been tossing the idea around myself...if you dont mind me asking... what did the auto-train set you back?

i'd be catching the train in md. or d.c... so it may be slightly more for me

Old 02-28-2008, 09:15 PM
skltr
Ultimate HDF Member

Did the train a few years back Md-Sanford, had plenty of wine in the dining car.........no problem sleeping[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 02-28-2008, 09:28 PM
madmikee
Tourer

does Amtrak run the autotrain anywhere other than the East Coast?

Old 02-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Ganzo68
Cruiser

which web site do you go to for prices? I didn't see it on amtrak.com?

Old 02-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Ganzo68
Cruiser

never mind I found it im a dumbass

Old 02-29-2008, 07:03 AM
Electricjaws
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: metal_mike

sounds awesome.. ive been tossing the idea around myself...if you dont mind me asking... what did the auto-train set you back?

i'd be catching the train in md. or d.c... so it may be slightly more for me
I don't remember the exact figures now but it seemd to me the round trip for a single rider and bike was about $559. Add another $150 or so for a sleeper. The price varies like airlines. As a matter of fact, we booked 11 bikes at one time and the price still varied amonst reservations. WARNING: Make sure the person is aware that you want a round trip for you AND the bike. For some reason the quote he gave first only included a round trip fare for the rider but a one way fare for the bike. (Stupid isn't it)

Quick Reply: Florida auto train diary