Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attention all 06 Bikes that want to do Mods!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 12:49 AM
OG_electra_glide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Attention all 06 Bikes that want to do Mods!

You're going to hear this from the more seasoned members of the Forum: DON'T GO WITH THE HD DOWNLOAD. I have no experience with the SERT, but I'm told and have read that it is specific to one VIN only, I guess you must register the VIN before using the software.

Isshinryu: yours is a great lookin' bike. Though it's a small detail, I especially like the HD tank logo. The '99 Night train has a really bad one.

Old 01-21-2006, 01:48 AM
JW
Road Captain

Hej,

There are several maps on the SERT program. The install and non dyno tune for my bike was bout $150. Not sure what the time on the dyno would cost but 250 doesnt sound out of the question

Mooks,

Theres a little black box that interfaces with the bike and once activated it will only work with that bike.

Old 01-22-2006, 12:16 AM
XGlide
Advanced

hej,

The SERT allows a technician to FINE tune your ECM on the motorcycle so it will operate at its best with the exhaust system and air cleaner you've installed. They charge 4+ hours not to install anything but to dyno your motorcycle with the stock Harley ECM Map that comes with your bike. They do several "pulls" on the dyno and this gives them a baseline. After that there about about 10 different variables they make adjustements to in the ECM to increas the horsepower and torque on your motorcycle. They dyno the bike after they've made these adjustmenst to see if they are getting the desired results. If they technician is doing this properly it can be a lengthy process. Remember that like fingerprints each engine is a little different and the exhaust system that works great on one engine may not work as well on a different engine (all 88ci for example). If you want to know how intense this is, I'm sure someone has the pdf file for the SERT manual. It's 148 pages long! Tell me your e-mail address and I'll e-mail it to you. Not sure how large it is, I installed it on my laptop and this is the desk computer. Tuning an engine on a dyno is a dark art and should be left to technicians who do it everyday. I've started playing with mine a little, I've not changed the Map any, I'm just exploring a little. I'd really like to get good at it, but it's one of those things that you really need a dyno to do correctly and if you're not careful you could really screw your engine up. IMHO, the SERT is the only way to go, it doesn't require installing any more hardware on the motorcycle it just allows you to modify what you already have. The first time the SERT is used on a motorcycle it reads the serial number from that motorcycle's ECM (sorry engine control module or computer) then it will only work with that ECM. This isn't any different than what Superchips does for their tuners you use on cars. I admit, I'm not a wrench and I'm new to this SERT thing myself but again it just seems like the logical way to go.

Dave

Old 01-22-2006, 11:44 AM
lowleveldriver
Tourer

Can anyone recommend a dyno tuner by a qualified tech in the NYC tri-state area?

Old 01-22-2006, 11:49 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Please Read This!! It is posted in the Tech Section under tuning at the top of the page.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_181817/tm.htm

Terry

Old 01-22-2006, 12:02 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,788 Likes on 1,270 Posts

ORIGINAL: Loch

Does anyone know any good SERT tuners in Minnesota? I would like to stick with the SERT because it’s one less failure point on the bike versus installing a PCIII.
See Jason at Faribault Harley Davidson.[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 01-22-2006, 12:05 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

Varoom ....

not knowing anything about HD carbs I can't tell you much, but on my Kawasaki I was able to get the bike to run much better by unsealing the idle mixture screws and backed them out . resolved some of the off idle issues since the carb runs in 3 stages, with some overlap. I also shimmed the needles up .050 inches using 2 SS washers per needle. this helped the mid reange of the carb. when the bike runs WOT it is all about the main jets, but how often does one really run wide open? Total cost was 86 cents for the 8 washers. Sure beat 100+ for a jet kit and having to pull the carbs off.

anyone know what HD uses for a carb?