Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a Trailer for (behind) the Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 04:53 PM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bought a Trailer for behind the Ultra

I agree; "NO QUESTION" Hitch Doctor, the only way to go.
Best hid bike hitch available
chappy

ORIGINAL: Keystone

Hitch? No question. I live in Minnesota. It'll will be a Hitch Doc. They are made 45 minutes from my house.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you will like. I bought one last year from Thomas Bus Sales on EBay. I pulled it back and forth between Wyoming and Minnesota twice. It pulls very nice you can actually forget that it is back there (but don't). Uses up rear tires pretty fast though. Once you take it off after riding a distance you can feel the difference.
Take it for a short test ride after checking the torque on all hardware, some of mine were finger tight. Do a complete check, including tires.
I have checked pull behind trailer forums and no one else had this problem, but I did. The bike would not lean over enough to make a sharp turn. I is a scary feeling turning at your first intersection and just barely making it because of the reduced lean angle. I installed a swivel hitch, kinda spendy but it did the trick.

I carpeted the inside, installed interior lights and fabricated out of diamond plate camping fuel bottle holders on the back of each fender so now I have 12 miles of emergency gas. I also made diamond plate hub caps for it. I know but I just can't help myself.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4243/AC50F40FA08A4E898C8BE2DD8E36C0D1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4243/C2CF95F539CF4B3D9B0B2C09FF0C5954.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-03-2008, 07:50 PM
chappy
Road Warrior

I don't recall where I got it right now, but I bought a ball that is a bit highter than the averagebecause the stem or postof the ball is a bit narrower. This allows for very sharp cornering. And I know that there is no binding at that point on my bike to trailer.

This is how I know this fact!!

I had a veryembarrassing momentduring my trip toSturgis a few years ago. I was headingup the road at a good clip and all of a sudden there's the turn to MT Rushmore KOA Campground on my left. I was goingright along withthe flow of traffic and didn't have the space or distanceneeded toslow enoughand make the turnsafely. So I past that left turn and made a right turn into a pull off just up the road a ways.

Now here's a problem, that pull off had a slope to it, not a problem usually, especially if you can keep a forward motion, but NO!!! I had to stop while I was making a wide swing to the right and then to the left to do the turn around that I needed. There was traffic coming from both ways, so no way around the fact, I had to stop!

Now here is the problem; (a closer look)because of the slope and the position of my bike on that slope, I had to lean the bike way past the comfort zone and I still couldn't reach the ground. When my foot fially touched the ground my ability to hold the bike was spent. Luckily, I was at a stand still, so I allowed my bike to just cradle down onto the engine guard. I shut the motor off and simply stood up. However graceful it may have appeared, it wasn't.

It took all of my strength to lift the bike up enough to drop the jiffy stand from the more than 90 degree angle that the bike had rested in. I'm not sure if I was red more from embarrassment or excertion but I seem to remember sweat was part of the equation and think I heard some gas pass too. Anyway, all that for this; The bike didn't bind at the hitch as a result of the ball that I had installed. No damage to the bike, the hitch or the trailer, just my ego.

In my defence I would like to add, this happened at the end of two 700 plusmile days and a 800 mile plusday. So needless to say I was a bit tiredfrom the past 3 days including the day I tested the limit of my ball.

but don't tell any body!

I also found out that there is a fuel shut off that engaged because of the imposible angle. I was a bit frustrated when my bike wouldn't start. But finnally it did and I was camping before you knew.

chappy
chappy

Old 02-03-2008, 09:15 PM
FLWanderer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bought a Trailer for (behind) the Ultra

http://piggybacker.stehltow.com/#Specifications

Was looking into trailer...found this site last year....price was right and looked
big enough for what I wanted.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:44 PM
iowacruiser
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend is getting a trailer and asked me to check with you folks................... Is anyone aware of a DVD or paper that provides tips for towing, loading, etc a trailer. I have done a number of searches and came up empty.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:49 PM
chappy
Road Warrior

Here's a couple;

After much search here is what I choose for a camper line. http://www.trailmasterinc.com/
Ther are many more and most are very well built, it's your needs that mater when you choose

info tips
http://www.campingearth.com/bikecampers/
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/D...382/links.html
http://www.campingearth.com/bikecampers/
http://www.motorcyclecamping.org/

good luck
chappy

ORIGINAL: iowacruiser

My friend is getting a trailer and asked me to check with you folks................... Is anyone aware of a DVD or paper that provides tips for towing, loading, etc a trailer. I have done a number of searches and came up empty.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:45 AM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Which one of their trailers did you buy Chappy?

Old 02-05-2008, 09:06 AM
chappy
Road Warrior

Hi Keystaone,

If you do a search here on HD Forums for cmapers you'll find lots of threads full ofinfo and pictures as well as some good and funnt stories and so on.
I bought the Ambassador, what sold me on it was two beds and a hard top pop-up.
here's the direct link: http://www.trailmasterinc.com/aspen/aspen.html
And here's a picture:
chappy

ORIGINAL: Keystone

Which one of their trailers did you buy Chappy?

Old 02-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

[Quote]Hi Keystaone,

If you do a search here on HD Forums for cmapers you'll find lots of threads full ofinfo and pictures as well as some good and funnt stories and so on.
[End Quote]

No interest in Campers on my end Chappy, those days are over! Motels only from now on for me and the wife.
Price wise the TrailMaster Trailers seem pretty good though. Might be a nice choice for someone...

Old 02-05-2008, 04:06 PM
chappy
Road Warrior

Yup, I understand. My wife and I do motels most of the time. And on the longer trips we do a Hampton Inn or sim so we can have onset washer & dryer to recycle the dirty stuff.
It's also nice to get a nice comfy bed every 4th day or so.
chappy

Quick Reply: Bought a Trailer for (behind) the Ultra