Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

??? for Experienced Touring Members == What are the Top 5 things you would change on a Stock Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 04:51 PM
tata455
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ??? for Experienced Touring Members == What are the Top 5 things you would change on a Stock Ultra?

OK - All you experienced members out there..... What would the 5 - 10 top things you would add or change on an Ultra once you bought it? I have a newly acquired 2005, so I guess my question is for that vintage, but if you want to apply it to different years, just qualify your answer to reflect that. Looking for Bang for the Buck changes.
[ul][*] Handling Changes? [*] Performance Upgrades?[*] Cosmetic?[*] Creature Comfort?[*] Reliability?[/ul]
Tell me what you would spend some extra Cash on and why!! What is the benefit of the change.Your answers will help me make good purchasing decisions!!

Thanks in advance!![8D]

Old 02-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts
Default RE: ??? for Experienced Touring Members == What are the Top 5 things you would change on a Stock Ultra?

Beef up the engine to a 103 or 107. That's a heavy bike, you'll need the extra oomph.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ??? for Experienced Touring Members == What are the Top 5 things you would change on a Stock Ul

1-backrest
2-exhaust
3-103 kit
4&5 more chrome

Old 02-02-2008, 05:25 PM
dhweber1
Cruiser
Default RE: ??? for Experienced Touring Members == What are the Top 5 things you would change on a Stock Ultra?

1. Kuryakyn adjustable passenger pegsfor vertically challenged (short) female passengers.
2. Luggage rack on tour-pak.
3. GPS.
4. Detachable tour-pak kit.
5. Trailer hitch.

1 thru 3 are done. I am contemplating 4 and 5.

Mine is an 03 by the way. The Ultra has some specific problems with a removable tour-pak because of the CB antenna. I have a detachable tour-pak on my Classic and I do remove it from time to time.

I am thinking about aquiring a trailer because when we went on vacation last year the bike was very top heavy with all of our luggage and we only packed for 5 days. I have talked to people who use trailers and most of them like them for long distance luggage packing.

The Ultra is a fun bike for touring. You will love it.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:29 PM
dhweber1
Cruiser

Oh yeah. I am also going to install the 103" kit and a Baker DD6 six speed transmission. I have heard a lot of good things about the DD6. The bike should gain a little extra torque with the 103" kit.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:30 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: ??? for Experienced Touring Members == What are the Top 5 things you would change on a Stock Ul

1) COMFORT
a) Drivers Backrest
b) Highway Pegs
c) Handlebars
d) Seat
e) Grips
........... WHY?? Because if you're not feeling good you WON'T be riding long

Old 02-02-2008, 05:48 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

depends on you and what you want.
I've never had a handling problem with mine (01 & 06 EGC)
so i guess I would opt for performance for the heck of it.
I would when rear tire is due upgrade to a 140mm width.
Larger tire patch on the road, better traction, and better mileage.

Engine performance.
Upgrade the air cleaner, mufflersand I would do the Screaming Eagle race Tuner.
Add the automatic primary chain tensioner.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

1. HD Service Manual for 2005 Touring Models (this will include your '05 Ultra).

2. Set of Torx bits (be sure it it includes a T27 because many don't).

3. Decent set of tools to keep on the bike; e.g. WindZone from Eastern Performance Cycles, a Forum sponsor, or assemble your own--lots of threads on this--use the "Search" function at the top of the page.

4. Good First Aid kit.

5. MSF Basic Rider Course or HD's Rider's Edge course.

6. Ride Like A Pro IV DVD--it will teach you how to safely pick-up your Ultra after you drop it; but it will also show you how nimble the Ultra is and some of the skills for safely operating your new bike.

As for your original question, ride the bike and put 500-1000 miles on it--you'll learn if the seat is comfortable or not; whether you would like different handlebars; etc. In other words, learn what you like and don't like about the bike.

If you want to buy something, spend 15 bucks on the lockable pushbutton gas tank door--so you aren't fishing in your pocket for theignition keywhen you want to get gas.

Congrats on the new bike; learn how to post pics--we all like to see pics of a new guy's ride.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:51 PM
dcfatboy
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

[ul][*]Kuryakyn Iso-grips[*]Highway pegs[*]adjustable passenger pegs[*]AMS 96" BB piston and cylinder kit[/ul]
With extra money:
[ul][*]Andrews TW26 gear drive cams[*]ported heads[/ul]
First 2 bullets are for comfort, the remaining are performance

Old 02-02-2008, 06:00 PM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PCIII
SE11 and SE AC
Back rest
Highway pegs
Sundowner deep bucket seat (should be #1)
GPS
XM radio
Chrome this
Chrome that
Repeat 8 and 9 until you run out of money.
= Perfect Ultra

Quick Reply: ??? for Experienced Touring Members == What are the Top 5 things you would change on a Stock Ultra?