Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

??? for Experienced Touring Members == What are the Top 5 things you would change on a Stock Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 10:23 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

....... add a cup holder. Lots of different makes & mount locations available. It comes in real handy sometimes.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:42 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could probably do a list of 100 items ... but I'll just list the top 10 for now ...

1. Rider's backrest -- Arthritis in the back demands this as the first change

2. Highway pegs -- Makes a BIG difference for the longer trips.

3. Tourpak Rack -- Lots of room in the bags, but I like having this for my sleeping bag.

4. Chrome passenger floorboard covers -- 'cause they're perrty

5. GPS mount -- I use the GPS mostly to find restuarants, gas, etc., but have round with my new Garmin Nuvi 760 that having MP3 capability is a great addition.

6. Shorty windshield (I like Fastaire.com) -- Surprising how much better around town riding is with a 6"-smoked windshield. It looks good and allows more air to get to me, which is good on those summer days.

7. Tourpak organizer -- Great for storing small items like extra sunglasses, sunscreen, etc.

8. Fairing/Windshield bag -- Great place to put my small digital camera while in the saddle. Makes it easy to get to and use.

9. Cup/drink holder -- Several good options out there raning in price from under $20 to over $200

10. Extra power outlet -- On my last Ultra I mounted it in the right-side saddlebag. I could charge my cell phone and laptop easily with it while using my fairing mounted outlet for my GPS. On the new '10 Limited there is a Tourpak mounted outlet, which will make charging my new Netbook much easier. For me, having Internet access is a must so that I can make a little extra money while still on the road.

Of course, there are many other things ... a couple items that don't make the top-10 but are worth considering are:

11. Push button gas cover release -- having to dig the key out to open the gas tank is a pain, so I use the push button release (which still allows me to lock the gas tank when I park at night).

12. Fix my Hog DVD -- I do a little of my own maintenence, and the Fix my Hog DVD has come in handy more than once. I also have the shop manual, and between the two I've yet to run into any basic maintenence I could do.

13. Jiffy Stand puck -- when you park on gravel it's nice to have a little puck to toss down for your jiffy stand. It's also a good idea when you're parking on asphalt on a really hot day.

14. Air horn -- I haven't adde done (yet), but it is on my list. Riding in the mountains I have had my share of rounding a corner to find a deer, elk, or even a bear in the road. A louder horn for the wild animals and the frequent asses on the road would be nice.

15. Windshield turn signal trim -- I've seen it on two bikes and it looked pretty good.

16. Better speakers -- Maybe the J&M 7.5" ... but I'll have to wait to see how much Uncle Sugar is going to give me back this year.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:48 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

'09 Ultra:

First owned for 1.5 months (Fall '08). All stock except Garmin Zumo 550 GPS, Luggage Rack and Kurakyn Iso-Wing Highway Pegs.

Spring '09...Almost all kinds of Chrome parts installed by my dealer and rode some more to find out that it needs a bit more of oomph's and aah's.

Summer '09...Decided to give Jamie at FuelMoto a call. His suggestion was to leave the engine stock and go with PCV, AC Upgrade with 2" Rush Mufflers slash down. Absolutely very happy with Engine's Performance.

Next Spring '10...Debating whether I should buy Jackpot's 2-1-2 head pipe for some more increased engine performance and change the baffles from 2" to 2.25" cuz I want it a little more louder. Also want to try out an aftermarket 8" smoked windshield. ??? on chrome forks and chrome wheels like the '10 Ultra Limited.

Thorey

Old 12-24-2009, 08:01 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Here's my top 5. 1- a seat that doesn't flatten out when it's hot out,and make your *** sweat. 2- offer a taller windshield with a vent built in. 3- drivers backrest should be standard with the bike. 4- put all the finish parts on the bike. the chrome trim around the windshield and covers for the rear bolts. 5-oil temp gauge. I don't need a gauge to tell me it's hot or cold out, somehow I can figure that out.,,

Old 12-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1. Seat
2. Rider Backrest
3. Replace air temp gauge with oil temp gauge
4. Add a cup holder
5. Replace stock headlamp with high output lamp

Being practical here as there are so many things that can be done but really are not necessary.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:34 AM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

My top 3 must do changes...

- Rider back rest.
- Highway pegs.
- 8" windshield.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:41 AM
2%er OG
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default must haves

1 button instead of key lock for gas cap
2 grips
310 inch windshield
4 riders backrest
5 quick connect tour pac

Old 05-06-2011, 10:54 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Redesign of fuel tank inlet so it doesn't take 15 minute to fill.
Replace air temp with oil pressure.

Beary

Old 05-06-2011, 11:15 AM
keith t
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1. Horsepower/tuner
2. Exhaust system
3. Backrest
4. Stereo
5. Hiway pegs

Old 05-06-2011, 11:25 AM
toothmansteveb
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ride it. You will figure it out in time.

Quick Reply: ??? for Experienced Touring Members == What are the Top 5 things you would change on a Stock Ultra?