Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

detachable tour pak for 08 ultra

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 09:31 PM
thug boy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default detachable tour pak for 08 ultra

do they make a detachable tour pak kit for ultras i only see ones for classics can i use that kit too or are thier issues with speakers and antennas ???

Old 02-01-2008, 11:29 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: detachable tour pak for 08 ultra

They make detachable tour pac kits for all baggers. What is it you have and what do you want?

Old 02-01-2008, 11:40 PM
thug boy
Advanced

i have a 08 ultra classic and would like to remove the tour pak when im out tavern jumping and put back on when i go on trips didnt see the kit in the h d catalog for ultra classics

Old 02-02-2008, 01:23 AM
dbalogh
Tourer

Yes, do the detachable, I did at purchase. It comes off just like a detachable backrest with the clips. Unscrew the seat screw, unscrew the seat strap screw - without removing the bag, remove the seat, unplug the wires and pull it off, about 2 minutes. It also makes it like haveing 2 bikes in 1 . Big weight difference felt on pickup and cornering. It will also pay for itself in rear tire wear. Check it out.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16851/4AD69F0FA87844BAA53C4F49FBA74342.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16851/96F87ECE87DD41C79EECD5E9FB0271A3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-02-2008, 01:26 AM
dbalogh
Tourer

also your front speakers will work and you just screw on a shorty antennae from Auto zone, 9.00 bucks.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:17 AM
thug boy
Advanced

thank you
would you know the part # or the price of the kit?
wish i could go for a ride too much snow and salt

Old 02-03-2008, 02:18 AM
BRO
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thug boy, I too was trying to figure out the part #'s myself. Right now I am upgrading the motor a little bit and adding some other stuff, but the detachable tour pack is about month and half away for me right now. So if you get a jump on it, plz share, dbalogh bike looks good with the pack on and off. So ours should look the same. Bro

Old 02-03-2008, 06:04 AM
skaeser
Intermediate

I saw this issue raised in another thread and there were issues with the '08 Model and the detachable hardware they'd used previously. That's whey it isn't listed in the HD Parts List. The electronics needs to be properly terminated when disconnected and that was the central issue of the discussion as I recall.

I ordered the adjustable backrest for my '08 Ultra and after the mechanic spent two hours trying to run the cable they called HD and then spent several hours with a tech on both ends trying the make it work. In the end, another HD Engineer on the other end walked by and noted that it had been found that the old seat cable was too short and a new one was being developed for the '08 Model. I think the ABS controller forced them to move things around under the seat, and areas that used to be clear aren't any longer. In the end, they were able to move things around and make it fit, but we should keep in mind that every design change impacts a gazillion add-ons and no one has time to test them all.

I would suspect that HD is fully aware of the need for a detachable TourPak and will make sure one is available. If not, there are plenty of third party manufacturers who would like to jump in.

Now if the dealer can just complete the install of the new hack on my Ultra . . . .and the weather warm up just a bit . . . .

Old 02-03-2008, 09:24 AM
srawden
Cruiser

I also am interested in the deachable for my 05 ultra and have checked it out. Looks like you need to put a hidden antenna inside the fairing, remove the antenna wires and coil them up under the seat. Now for the speaker wire's, tail lights and turn signals would anyone know what kind of connector to use to make some sort of a quick connect under the seat so you can pull the connector and it's all ready to pull the tour pak? Really want a very clean look and set up! One other problem I have read about is the problem of the mounting points (bushings) wearing out rather fast. Can anyone give me any information on these issues that would be great!
Thanks

Old 02-03-2008, 10:17 AM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

dbalough,

I assume that kit will also work on an 07 Ultra as well? So it makes the CB and Radio and rear speakers detachable as well? Hummmm I didnt know they had a kit that would do all of that.

shaggy

Quick Reply: detachable tour pak for 08 ultra