Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

detachable tour pak for 08 ultra

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: detachable tour pak for 08 ultra

For the speaker and passenger controls, I'd suggest using the Deutsch 12-place connectors/pins/sockets and make the connection near the seat to reduce the amount of wiring to be bundled under the seat. A buddy with an '06 Ultra was asking me about this and IIRC a 12 place connector would take care of all of the speaker/passenger wiring.

Also, HD sells antenna relocation kits for the AM/FM and CB antennae if you want to keep the CB function and don't want a faring mounted antenna for the radio.

HD is pretty slow at solving these issues. For example, the detachable kit for the Classic didn't exist from HD until late '06 or early '07. So, before HD's kit, guys were removing TP's from Classics using the available racks and figuring out the antenna issu on their own. The HD catalog didn't even list the EG Classic or Ultra in the fitment for the solo and detachable TP racks.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:04 AM
FastUltra
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have my '04 done up like this! I used the detachable tp rack and docking kit! For the wiring, I usedtwo 6 pin trailer harness connectors bought at an auto parts store and cut and soldered the wiring in the speaker harnesses! The wiring for the tail light unplugs inside the tp under the liner. I have since added the detachable passenger backrest, docking kit for that and a stock RG seat! It is like having two bikes in one! I can go from an Ultra to a SG inless than 10 minutes! Now if this damn snow and cold weather would just go away, all would be good!!

Old 02-03-2008, 11:21 AM
gobblerhuntr
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok the part numbers of stuff I used on my 06 ultraare: HD53303-07 (detach tour pak kit), 53804-06 (rear docking kit), 53276-04 (touring detachable tour pak rack). I also have a word document of the deutsch connectors I bought to put in my wires going to the tour pack. It made a hell of a neat job if I do say so myself. I put an insidefairing antenna on mine and cut the other wire under the seat. Rolled my CB cable up under the seat, and made plugs for anything else. I would behappy to emailanybody the worddoc or if someonecan tell me how to post itI will.I can take it to work and scan it and then post it but that will be tomorrow.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:45 PM
WindowMan
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Send it to me, I can make a pdf file and post it in 5 min if you need. Let me know

Old 02-03-2008, 01:07 PM
MyRide7
Tourer

It can be done like all has said with a little rigging in the friggin!. I just completed my 06 this past weekend I had several issues to resolve...
1. relocate controller (Timer) for my Boogy lights from tourpac to another location and associated wiring.
2. this is the biggie!! Understand the damned instructions as all parts had a damn set of instructions!! I also added the passenger sissy bar and luggage rack and connections in addition to the removable tourpac. I found that a pictur is worth a thousand word in this case. I had brother in law stop over and looked at his set up.........THEN threw away ALL instructions and completed this at this point in less that two hours with breaks!!! What a PITA !
3. The speaker connection pull out from the speaker PODS to unplug.
The AM/FM should come with the tourpac kit to relocate this antenna (You will need to purchase the short Antenna as said)
3. CB antenna, I extended this cable from the LOADING coil just outside the tour pac and installed a new connector at this point.. the other end going toward the CB has the mate for this connection (this brought this connection outside (behind the passenger back rest "FLAP" extension to make it easy to disconnect) I do not use the CB so am not worried about not having this while not having the Tourpac on the bike.
4. the rear lights on the Tourpac...I solved this issue by purchasing the make and female plug and pins from the dealer to extend the connection under the liner of the tourpac out side the bike behind the same "FLAP" on the back rest.

I can remove all this put wires (extra) under the seat and remove the lowers in less that 10 minutes. (I am in no rush) and store all in protective cotton bags in cabinet in garage.

Good luck look at someones that has been done and THROW away the instructions!

MArty

Old 02-03-2008, 07:25 PM
srawden
Cruiser

Anyone here have any problems with the mounting bushings wearing out making the tour pak loose? Trying to make a good choice weather to do the detachable or not. Love the looks with it off, but I do ride 2 up a lot! If I do the detachable I think I will be changing it a lot. Need to make it clean andeasy with a solid mount install.Thanks for your input.
Steve

Old 02-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thug boy I just took the detachable TP hardware of my 06 EGC and installed it on my new 08 Ultra and it worked perfect. You do have to bundle up the wires and stuff them under your seat but the kit works on the 08's as well. I'll give you all the part #'s you need. You can go 2 ways:

Option 1:
HD Part # 53303-07 comes complete with tour pak rack, docking hardware, chrome license plate holder, reflector & am/fm antenna relocation hardware. $329.95

Option 2:
HD Part # 53276-04 Detachable 2 up tour pak rack $179.95
Part # 53804-06 docking kit $54.95
Antenna relocation kit # 76326-00A $99.95
You'll need a laydown license plate bracket (Kuryakyn has a good one)

Old 06-01-2008, 05:59 AM
ALBERT1
Stage III

ok, but what about all the wiring going to an from the tour pack and radio+cb antenna??
are you using a sort of quick connector for the wires?

Old 06-01-2008, 07:10 AM
shekmark
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ditto on that last comment. Some of you guys are talking about splicing and soldering and radio shack this and that.... others are saying unplug the factory connection and stick it under the seat. What gives?

Old 06-01-2008, 07:22 AM
a21m
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out www.hifiveproducts.com they make detatch kits for all models according to their site. you can contact Jack and Donna and they will answer all your questions.