Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Word of advise

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 08:04 AM
SG Mike
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Word of advise

ORIGINAL: stro1965

I lost my son 3 years ago to melanoma. He would have been24 years oldlast month. I would urge everyone to take it seriously.
Sorry for your loss.

Great post! Thanks for the reminder.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:19 AM
rick180
Cruiser

Well the swelling has gone down enough to put on some sun glasses and go riding. Looks like it going to be a good day to Sun block-up and ride. Thanks for all the posts. Enjoy Superbowl Sunday. I hope one of those northern teams win HAHAHA

Old 02-03-2008, 09:01 AM
Nightrider2
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My foreman and his wife have been ridding bikes for years, I've honestly seen him come in from a weeks ride, with his nose so burned it's almost scary, I'm mentioned sunblocker to him, he just laughs, I hope I can convince him to start using it soon. Glad you caught yours early.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, dumb question maybe... how did you know you had something you needed to see the dr about?
I have so many scars and unidentified bumps that seem like scar tissue on my arms, hands and face that I wouldn't know if it was Dr worthy.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Rootboy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Hey, dumb question maybe... how did you know you had something you needed to see the dr about?
I have so many scars and unidentified bumps that seem like scar tissue on my arms, hands and face that I wouldn't know if it was Dr worthy.

Not a dumb Q. I had skin cancer on the L/S of my nose, just below where the glasses nose pad sits. I found out when, everytime I dried my face with a towel after a shower, a real tiny spot would start to bleed. I didn't rub my face vigeriously, just dried it normally. Got to a point that when I touched it with a towel (ie "blotting" my face dry), that it would start to bleed. It was a tiny "pearl" color white spot about as big as the head of a pin. They took a "Filet-O-Skin" off my nose about the size of a nickel. They had to take two swipes to get it all, but they did. Everything healed up and all I have is a real small scar on the L/S bridge of my nose. I see a dermatolagist evey year just to have 'um check me from head to toe. Got burnt to krap as a kid because back then it was "you look healthy with a little bit of pink".... $hit, I was burn't and it hurt. Anyway, spend a few buks and a few minutes getting checked out (at least initially) and have 'em look at all the bumps, moles, etc. It's worth the time and the relatively small cost. Hope this helps. Root 30.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:15 PM
rick180
Cruiser

Well, I had this little sore on the left side of my nose that wouldn't go away. I went to a dermatoligist. He biopsied it and called me to inform me that I needed to go see a mohs doctor. I went and he took two attempts to get all of the cancer then sent me from his office to a plastic surgeon to close me up. I go back Wednesday to get the stitches removed. I will be going back to the Dem. every three months from now on to be checked.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:21 PM
tjmac49
Outstanding HDF Member

Appreciate the reminder; we were all so invincible when we were 20.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Bigredone
Road Master

I had a Bacil Cell removed (CUT OUT) from my right ear last year. I never would have known it was cancerous if I han't have gone to a Dermotologist with my daughter. It was just a crusty spot that would never completely heal and go away.

Now I always apply Bull Frog when I ride and keeps a bottle in my tour pack. Good stuff, clear and not greasy.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Scaryfast
Intermediate

After trashing my skin in my youth, I’ve almost resigned myself to having skin cancer at some point. During the warmer months, I’ve taken to riding with a loose fitting, light colored long sleeve synthetic shirt. They’re extremely light weight and an excellent type of sunscreen. Plus, it actually keeps you cooler on hot days.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Andy Engemann
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Not a dumb question at all...this is the type of question that everyone will benefit from as well!

Over the last few years I have found that any dry spot that you have on your face or ears that either bleeds or feels like it has a nerve in it is cause to go see the doctor. The skin is so thin on your face and ears that you have to catch the problem early. If you don't, the doctor will have to do a skin graft to close the area cut out. The extra time it takes to put on the sunblock is time well spent. The sun block lets you ride longer, get less sun damage and saves money in terms of medical fees. Basal cell skin cancer is generally caused by sun damage. It is the least serious type of cancer, but, it can still cause a lot of problems if not treated in a timely manner.

Andy