Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone out there rider who in on Coumadin?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 09:44 AM
rfp1954
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: anyone out there rider who in on Coumadin?

I want to thank everyone for giving me some good thought and ideas. I've had a few day to consider what going on and I think I'll need some lower fairing to keep me warm on the cooler days and hopefully I can open the vent on the warm day.
Been in this trauma room for 5 days and thankfully my wife brings herlaptop to the room so I can keep up onwhat going on in this site.
Many thanks and look forward to meeting the great people here.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Jsans
Tourer

I've read all of your posts and it made me realize how much of an inspiration you guys are. My dad is on coumadin with CHF and is very encouraged by your posts. Wish we all can keep on riding until we become too old to walk.

Hope you all get better. And hope everyone's ailments do not interfere with the pleasure that they get from the ride. After all, this is the BEST form of therapy. Keep on! And God bless!

Old 02-02-2008, 11:57 PM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Been on it since 91 because of CHF never had a problem and never even considered not riding. But like was said earlier if I get cut I do bleed like a stuck hog so carrying a good first aid kit is a good idea or a good roll of electrical tape and a dew rag will work in a pinch.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:38 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My main riding buddy had a heart transplant 10 years ago. When we go on a trip (and we do several a year) ir seems like his tour pack is full of meds. Hasn't slowed him down one bit. He did stop smoking, slowed way way down on his drinking and watches what he eats because of some reactions that are possible. So in closing I just want to say keep doing what you enjoy just be more careful and definetly wear a medic alert tag.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:02 PM
dbalogh
Tourer

If you love to ride, riding is healthy for you. Having a passion will make your heart healthy and being depressed is not. Keep on riding. Almost all doctors will tell you to not ride, even if you the perfect picture of health.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:31 PM
Hoffy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make some minor lifestyle changes, mainly diet and excersice, keep up on your lab work and enjoy life! I am 47, on blood pressure meds, prevacid, and baby aspirin. Besides the street glide, I still race motocross. Tore my PCL and MCL in right knee, tore my left rotator cuff, been knocked out 3 times, all seperate race crashes, than severly sprained both ankles gold dredging slipping on mossy rocks. sprainged my left knee. Ect.. in the mornings I am a little stiff but I ride my street glide and still ride the race tracks on my 450 and I am having fun. When I die, I want to be poured into my coffin as my body will be all used up!

Old 02-04-2008, 07:25 AM
roadkingrob
Novice

I'm 47 & have been on coumadin since '05. I had a bad aortic valve from birth & was told by my doctor that I'd need a valve replacement by my 50s,he was afew years off,I spent the weekend of my 45th birthday in the hospital when the valve gave out ,at least I knew it was coming. A $100k later I have my carbon fiber/titanium valve in place & perfect blood pressure for the first time in my life{it was always low before the valve replacement}I'm on a fairly high dose of coumadin I alternate 7.5 one day,10 the next but I don't seem to have the bruising problems or bleeding problems that some of my friends on it have.My doc wasn't real happy that I still ride in fact when I asked him when I could get back on the bike he told me NEVER!! He said "you're on blood thinners an accident would be a death sentence!!"but life goes on you know & you only live once{I guess twice in my case} I do keep a good first-aid kit with a piece of rubber hose to use as a tourniquet in the saddlebag just in case!

Old 03-07-2008, 09:59 AM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

There has been some very good suppotive advice here folks.
We have a huge professional base here from Lawyers to Fire/Rescue to MC Tecks/Mechanics and the Police are represnted as well.
But, have we a Dr. in the House?
I know they wouldnt and can not give medical advice butm you know a informed opinion would be worth its weight in Gold, Yes?
Rob

Old 03-07-2008, 10:46 AM
99igor
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well us old farts ain't all on meds. I am 61, and the only thing I take is a glass of wine or beer most every day.