Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone out there rider who in on Coumadin?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: anyone out there rider who in on Coumadin?

I'm 52 and I've been on it for 13 years (artificial heart valve). It might not be the wisest thing to do but it won't stop me from riding.

Rick

Old 02-01-2008, 06:27 PM
thall
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is definitely other things to give up riding damn sure isn't one of them

Old 02-01-2008, 06:57 PM
pokeone
Stage I

I've been on it 22 years ride a ultra.my cardio Doc also rides.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:20 AM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

GOD be with you always.My wifelived with Coumadin for a number of years but no longer. Diet is a major factor because of Vitamin K, Garlic, etc. as they are natural blood thinners thus the need for constantly checking your blood. Exercise is also important but the most important thing of all is your mental state and attitude. Rest while you can but when you get up and feel better do whatever it takes to be as normal as possible, wear an ID bracelet, tell people who need to know, recognize the drawbacks and then get on with life. Ride without fear but be realistic regarding your condition, you are a bleeder while on Coumadin, you will bruise easily, and you will probably be more sensitive to cold and heat because your blood will be thinner. Accept the changes but remember to live through it all and enjoy life.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:34 AM
mslater741
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in 2ooo i was hit with 2 clots one in portal vein and mesatarick[sp.] they didnt expect me to live.had family come in and say goodbye while i was on a vent..preformed 2 surgries removed 3'of dead intestines and next day another 1'...found out i had a little known disease called antiphospholipidantibodiy syndrome was in i.c.u. for 3 weeks[same unit my wife works in]got the best care...spent the next 5 years taking daily fragmin injections in my stomach ...like being on a heprin drip 24/7 they say the disease has now left me .but keepme on coumadin because it could come back....i figure iam going to finish life on my terms..i dont take crazy risks but i dont worry about it either ...when its your time its your time... one word of advice ,have your docs check you for A.P.L.A.most dont know anything about it....i had a clot in leg 2 yrs. prior and wasnt checked

Old 02-02-2008, 08:00 AM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Coumadin doesn't actually thin the blood, it's an anticoagulant which prevents the blood from clotting.

Rick

Old 02-02-2008, 08:06 AM
jjsg77
Advanced

my best freinds little brother, 24 years young fell down thesteps a few months back and died from trama to the brain. when it's your time there's no stopping it! however if you ,I, we stop riding and miss out on the great journey motorcycling brings to all of us then as far as im concerned life is over! here's a little saying that i live by. Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well perserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, in a body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" fast recovery to you and a safe journey!

Old 02-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Dabaldone
Novice

I am also on coumadin.

I'm 52 years old and last February I had a stroke. It was due to an atrial fibrillation that caused a blood clot. It didn't cause much brain damage so the doctor just put me anti-fibrillation meds and an aspirin.

Three weeks later I had another stroke. Guess the drugs and aspirin didn't work. This time I lost a large portion of my right temporal lobe. I was paralized on the left side from knee to shoulder, lost all peripheral vision, an had no cognitive skills. Blood clots are nothing to fool with. Three weeks later after my brain stopped bleeding, I was put on coumadin.

By that time my vision was back and most of the movement came back to my left side. I still have a major problem with short term memory. The first thing the doctors told me to do was go on disability. I own a lawn service an they felt it would be to dangerous being on blood thinner. The second thing they told me was to sell my motorcycle. I didn't listen.

Today about ten months later I am still on coumadin, still working, still riding, andhave periodic blood tests to check the clotting factor inmy blood. It's called a PT test and is just a drop of blood from a finger *****. I have it done once a month. If it's off the doctor adjusts my coumadin dose. I can't have to many green vegatables or any cranberry juice. It screws up the clotting factor.

As long as my blood test is within range I am fine. Sure if I get cut it takes alittle longer to stop the bleeding. Serious cuts could be dangerous. I wear medical alert charm around my neck. If I have a seriousaccident I might bleed to death, hopefully help will arrive in time.

No way in hell will I stop working or stop riding.

If you have any questions about coumadin e-mail me. dabaldone@bellsouth.net

Good luck and take care.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:12 AM
Dabaldone
Novice

Any body out there on coumadin have a problem with a fatty liver.
I've been on it ten months now and my doccor tells me I have a fatty liver.
I'm not over weight, I eat right, and do not drink.
Doctor says it's from the coumadin.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Hdbiker1450
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Dabaldone

Any body out there on coumadin have a problem with a fatty liver.
I've been on it ten months now and my doccor tells me I have a fatty liver.
I'm not over weight, I eat right, and do not drink.
Doctor says it's from the coumadin.
First I've ever heard about that, Dabald. Sorry, couldn't tell you one way or another.
As for what Mack said--Vitamin K IS NOT an anti-coagulant. It is definitely a coagulant. That's why you are told to stay away from green leafy vegetables, and especially broccoli.
That said, my doc advised me to continue with my regular diet. He adjusted the dose based on my diet, not the other way around. I still eat broccoli, spinnach and salad. But I don't go overboard on any of em.

Quick Reply: anyone out there rider who in on Coumadin?