Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hog Tunes or J&M Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 07:09 AM
kdietz
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hog Tunes or J&M Speakers

My Ultra has HogTunes....wife's FLHX has J&M....side by side.....hers sound better to me...JMHO

Old 02-01-2008, 07:37 AM
Danbousmc
Advanced

I've got J&M, and couldn't be happier!

Old 02-01-2008, 08:24 AM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

IVE OWNED BOTH ON MANY DIFFERENT MCY'S BOTH ARE GOOD. IDE SAY HOG TUNES JUST BETTER... SEE BOTH WEB SITES FOR FITMENT.. EZ JOB

Old 02-01-2008, 08:53 AM
papapuskit
Advanced

Does Pez sell them and does he have a website?

Old 02-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Phast Lap
Tourer

www.hogtunes.com

Old 02-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Philip1228
Cruiser

I just installed the biketronics retro kit and have the Hertz speakers. They said it was an upgrade from hogtunes. They sound great to me, might be worth checking out.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Homebrew101
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

[sm=popcorn.gif]

Old 02-01-2008, 01:39 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speakers are as varied as you can guess where everyone has a different opinion on what sounds good and what doesn't. Many here have used everything from JBL's, Boston Accoustics, Sony's, Infinity's, MB Quart's, Hog Tunes, JL's, J&M, Polk's, Pinoeer's, andall with relatively greatsuccess.Some manufactures state they are waterproof, some claim water resistant, and some don't make claims at all. In all actuality "most" of the above brands will have a water resistant poly, kevlar, titanium or aluminum conewith a rubber butyl surround, and all of the above speakers willequally repel water from the front face. With that being said rest assured that you aresafe with just about any new age speaker in your fairing as long as it has a rubber surround and a decent cone. Marine grades are also available (at higher costs) and will go to greater lengths to protect the rear voice coil from water. This is an option to you but not really a requirement for your motorcycle.

Prices will vary from as low as $40.00 to as much as $300.00 a pair for the above brands, with most being inthe $80.00 to $120.00 range per pair. My advice to you is to go to some stereo shops and listen to as many 5.25" speakers as possible and pick the pair that you feel sound the best.The head units are low power and anyone wanting more punch should seriouly consider more power. Power comes from an external amplifier and boosts the signal strength to the speakers will clean signal power. That alone can often make a pair of speakers sound much better as the power is cleaner, and some speakers will lend themselve's well to amplification while others may not. When listening to speakers in a sound board, ask to hear them powered from the head unit only, and then through an amplifier. This willdemonstrate the true difference between the two supplied signals and how the speakers respond to amplification.

Hog Tunes does offer economical upgrades for the addition of small amplifiers that are simple to install, and Hawg Wired offers a system using a larger set of amplifiers but at a significantly higher cost. Once you bridge those gaps to where you are going to spend more, you can usually install a professional car audio system with precision amplifiers and speakers at the same relative cost as some of the better systems specifically designed for motorcycles.My advice again comes back to spend what you can afford, and buy what sounds good to "Your" ears cause opinions will vary.Cheers

Old 02-01-2008, 01:50 PM
cwilks
Banned

I got a pair of JBL's and a pair of Hogtunes....both 2 ohms...which ones ya want????

Old 02-01-2008, 03:14 PM
texan321
Road Captain

Changed all my speakers over to Hog Tunes - they are great!

Quick Reply: Hog Tunes or J&M Speakers