Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pc111

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 06:18 PM
cegusa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: pc111

I would like to jump in here a bit, not to poo poo the PCIII by any means, but just to offer something to think about. I have an 08' SG also and have had issues with two different PC units recently. Below is a link to the issues I experienced with the first one. The replacement that Jamie @ Fuelmoto kindly sent under warranty performed well for about 60 miles or so before it started acting up the same as the first. In my discussions with Jamie, he indicated that he has sold a fairly large number of the PCIII units and so far the only issues have been with mine. ( I avoid lottery tickets for these types of reasons ). This may very well be bike specific but it was unrideable the way it was and had to come off the bike. I'm closely monitoring this forum and others to see how the success rate unfolds with the PCIII on the 08's. It seems that quite a few folks have been experiencing great things with them, so I'm optimistic that it can work. As a side note or testimonial, I had a PC on an 02' Fatboy prior to this bike and it performed flawlessly for over 12k miles. Since its dead of winter in a large part of the country, many folks that are considering installing a PCIII or have done so already my not have feedback until the weather breaks. If you decide to proceed with a PCIII, you would do well by working with Jamie @ Fuelmoto. He knows the product extremely well, his pricing is more than reasonable and is a great guy to work with. He also extends the warranty another year beyond the factory warranty.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2708664/tm.htm

Old 01-31-2008, 07:35 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: cegusa
In my discussions with Jamie, he indicated that he has sold a fairly large number of the PCIII units and so far the only issues have been with mine.
Not wanting to create an issue, but what Jamie told you isn't exactly accurate. I bought a PCIII from him last March and it shot craps right out of the box. It just never ran right and the throttle positions could not be set. I contacted Jamie for replacement, but for whatever reason he sent me to Dynojet for replacement during the first year of warranty, which wasn't a big problem, and they sent me a new one. I installed the second unit and it actually ran great until June and started having issues of not starting during hot weather, forcing me to disconnect the PCIII to drive the bike home. This happened three times, after which Dynojet agreed my second unit also had a problem and they replaced it with a third. I then had the HD stage 1 download installed so I could at least ride the bike last Fall WITHOUT a PCIII installed. Recently when I installed my Andrews 26G's, Iinstalled the PCIII and it has set up properly, but I have maybe 30 minutes of ride time on it, so jury is still out. I agree that PCIII's are good units are there are many out there that have performed trouble-free, but they are not perfect and can have problems. Jamie, by the way, does provide a quality service, and providing new maps to those who buy from him is well worth the service.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:32 AM
cegusa
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Taterdog

ORIGINAL: cegusa
In my discussions with Jamie, he indicated that he has sold a fairly large number of the PCIII units and so far the only issues have been with mine.
Not wanting to create an issue, but what Jamie told you isn't exactly accurate. I bought a PCIII from him last March and it shot craps right out of the box. It just never ran right and the throttle positions could not be set. I contacted Jamie for replacement, but for whatever reason he sent me to Dynojet for replacement during the first year of warranty, which wasn't a big problem, and they sent me a new one. I installed the second unit and it actually ran great until June and started having issues of not starting during hot weather, forcing me to disconnect the PCIII to drive the bike home. This happened three times, after which Dynojet agreed my second unit also had a problem and they replaced it with a third. I then had the HD stage 1 download installed so I could at least ride the bike last Fall WITHOUT a PCIII installed. Recently when I installed my Andrews 26G's, Iinstalled the PCIII and it has set up properly, but I have maybe 30 minutes of ride time on it, so jury is still out. I agree that PCIII's are good units are there are many out there that have performed trouble-free, but they are not perfect and can have problems. Jamie, by the way, does provide a quality service, and providing new maps to those who buy from him is well worth the service.
I guess my reference was to the units for the 08 models primarily. I bought mine shortly after their release so maybe they have a bug or two to work out with them. I not sure why it works for most folks and then 2 units do exactly the same thing on one bike. Jamie has been great in handling this issue so far, so no beans with him on my end. I've worked in the truck/auto repair industry for most of my life and have seen unusual things such as this occur. I did pop a Fuelpak on however yesterday and got a chance to ride for about an hour after work. So far so good with this experiment. At this point, I'm not planning on any engine mods so this may be the ticket in my situation.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: iclick

ORIGINAL: Gutman

Why would anyone want a PC? The unit is designed on alpha-n technology that was outdated in automobiles 20 years ago. They useONE standard fuel and timing table. Last I checked your bike was a big TWIN. Use the race tuner and maximize output and use your entire fuel injection system the was it was designed to work. Nottaking technology away. It would be like buying a new 2008 Corvette and having a cassette player installed. Old technology.
I would want a PC, although I don't denigrate other methods of EFI control. The PCIII works well when a proper map is used, and the process by which it works doesn't need to be bleeding-edge technology to implement. Basically all it does is intercept the signals from the ECM and modify them according to the desired results. It is simple yet effective, and the price is right. Complex is not always better.

You should get your facts straight before attacking a product as popular as the PCIII. In advanced mode the PCIII uses two A/F and two ignition-advance tables, one for each cylinder, not one. Yes, SERT has more adjustments that can be made, like changing the settings on closed-loop mode from 14.7 to 14.2, which is useful, but SERT has its disadvantages. First, it works on one bike, so if you buy another vehicle you must buy another SERT. HD does post canned maps, but mostly or entirely those containing HD hardware, so maps are thus limited. The solution is a dyno tune, which costs more money, and to get riding with SERT you likely will be out hundreds more than with a PCIII with a good canned map, which are much more readily available than SERT. Narrow-band closed-loop mode won't improve performance, as it is not working above about 50% TP and 2850 RPM's, so the PCIII's open-loop operation provides little fodder for argument against it from a performance perspective.

Sorry the original post did not state PCUSB. Still the PCUSB isa Alpha-N designed fuel module that corrects timing and fuel. It eliminates the 02 sensor therefore cannot compensate for poor fuel, engine load (cruise control) or operate in closed loop. Why would you want to operate in open loop all the time. the system cannot compensate for different load conditions and eliminates the close cruise mode which answers fuel economy questions. You were correct in stating that the PC works WELL, however you eliminate alot of the features that are designed into the Delphi speed density system. I have not come across 1 SERT with more adjustments that could be made. How muchUSEABLE performance gains did you get with the PC below 2700rpm? You don't know and you wouldn't. Your claim that is the SERT only works on one bike. How many times have you taken yours off and used on another bike. If you buy a new bike bike in 2-3 years, why bolt 20 year old obsolete technology on onto your new bike. You state that the SERT has canned maps, what do you think the maps are in a PC? They were not designed SPECIFICally for your bike. If the PC is so good why would you need a map. If you need SERT maps go to www.mastertune.net. Still canned maps. Thing is you buy a PC and most everyone puts a map in that Dynojet says works and you think it works "well." Well is not better, it is settling for. You would not be out hundreds more. The differnce at the pump and bikes performance, because it is tuned properly and not canned would be worth the addition money. If you are happy with "well" than leave well alone. I would take a tuned SERT over an outdated technology PC anyday. Open loop

Old 02-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

What's wrong with Magnetti Marelli? Mine runs great. It may not be a Delphi, and maybe has more limits and less ability, but good enough for me.