Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain Gear??? Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 11:30 AM
fattizzi
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain Gear??? Which one?

Although I do not like to ride in the rain, we all have to plan for the worst. I dont want to spend a fortune for Rain Gear, but I do want a set that fits and does not blow me up like a balloon when I ride.

Any Suggestsions?

Old 01-17-2006, 11:56 AM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Rain Gear??? Which one?

I have HD rain gear for warmer weather and HD FXRG cold weather rain suit for the really cold. Right now I wear it most of the time. Good liner keeps you warm and it has pockets for hand warmer pads to add to the warmth. If you are going to ride in the rain, spend the money on some quality gear. I ride year round rain or shine so it is worth it to me.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:47 PM
bsea
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

I spent a lot of time shopping around. I basically wanted something that I could carry in one of the side bags in case of rain without spending a fortune. Believe it or not, the HD gear turned out to be the best and it won't break you.

Bill

Old 01-17-2006, 01:05 PM
pointswhat
Road Captain

I haven't tried them myself but the Froggtoggs also seem to be popular if you just want to keep something in your bags. They pack up pretty small.

Old 01-17-2006, 01:53 PM
PLHOG
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For staying dry, my favorite is the one-piece slicker. Our gang got caught in a driving rainstorm outside Rapid City SD once, with the wind so bad that it was pushing us off the road. We dove into a gas station to take shelter, and I was the only one dry. It takes less space in the bag than any other rainsuit, and is very durable. The downside is that you have to wear it or not wear it. With the 2-piece rainsuits, you can wear the jacket alone and save yourself one other jacket perhaps. Also when you get caught in those situations where it rains, stops, rains, stops, etc, you can keep the pants on and take the jacket off.

After about 6 years of riding, I wore out my one-piece, and unfortunately the new design HD uses for these don't fit my 6'4" 350lb frame. So I'm back to a standard issue H-D two-piece and am reasonably happy with it. One of the best things about the HD rainsuits is that most if not all of them have a heat-resistant fabric on the inside of the lower legs. I took a 1000 mile ride with a buddy who had never ridden in the rain, and the very first time he pulled on his rainsuit, he rubbed against his pipe and ruined the suit.

If you think you might have to go long distances in the rain, I also recommend gaiters to protect your boots and keep rain from coming up the legs. I also carry a pair of gauntlet rain gloves.

Get some FOGTECH for the inside of your goggles or faceshield to make sure you can see. www.fogtech.com

And most importantly, always make sure you have enough tread on your tires. I watched a buddy go down on a long ride because he hadn't paid attention to his rear tire tread depth, and the bike came right out from under him. I carry the HD tire pressure gauge with the trend depth gauge, and keep a close eye on the tread depth.

PL

Old 01-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I spent a lot of time shopping around. I basically wanted something that I could carry in one of the side bags in case of rain without spending a fortune. Believe it or not, the HD gear turned out to be the best and it won't break you.
Same here. If you look at the features you get with the H-D gear, it's not a bad deal. I wanted pants with the heat shield on the leg. By the time you buy anybody's pants with a h/shield and then buy a decent jacket, you'll spend close to the same money. We bought H-D part #97028-00V for a 1500 mile trip last August, had the gear out several times since and I'm satisfied with it. Take a look and compare.

Old 01-17-2006, 02:32 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pointswhat

I haven't tried them myself but the Froggtoggs also seem to be popular if you just want to keep something in your bags. They pack up pretty small.
I have those too. My sweetie found a great deal on them. I haven't had a chance to use them yet.

Old 01-17-2006, 07:41 PM
bsea
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: FireHawk

ORIGINAL: pointswhat

I have those too. My sweetie found a great deal on them. I haven't had a chance to use them yet.
Be careful when you do. In checking around, if my information was correct, they don't have a heat shield, so many a person was trying to find out how to get melted Froggtogg off of their pipes. One guy was pretty ingenious and sewed an ironing board cover onto the inside legs. However, I also understand that they stand behind the product and will replace them

Bill

Old 01-17-2006, 08:19 PM
scttgr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how are they for tall people i am 6'5??

Old 01-17-2006, 09:21 PM
redscout
Road Captain

I'm not 6'5", but I also have the HD suit. My only bitch is that rain gear takes up a whole saddlebag. I like the idea of using the top for a jacket though (sounds simple, yet my stupid mind didn't think of it).

Tried using the Wally-World cheapies one time.... They flew to pieces after about 10 miles...

Good thing it was Summer... (looked cool as hell, though).

Quick Reply: Rain Gear??? Which one?