Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of trading in the Night Train.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 12:49 PM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Thinking of trading in the Night Train.

I went straight from my 05 1200 custom, 10,000 miles in about 9 months to a Electra glide standard. I won't be going back another style of bike. Love the bagger, handles great and the ride is so comfortable. If your bike is paid off I'd sell it myself instead of trading in, you'll come out on top.

Old 01-17-2006, 04:43 PM
OG_electra_glide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Abnmarine

Thanks for the replies. Yeah we like to be comfortable. The wife has been sold on a bagger since seeing the Ultra's seat. I also like the protection from the elements and also the storage room. I could easily see myself taking trips from NC to Indiana. I almost took the NT but decided against it. Looks like I will try to sell my bike outright to get the best deal. Thanks again.
I'm in the same boat, 1999 Night train only has 3,700 miles on it (always deployed during summer) and taking delivery on new '06 Ultra next month. Put it in the Paraglide, I've been tracking how many Harleys are listed from week-to-week, and in the last 2 weeks 13 bike ads are no longer listed. I believe they list them until sold (or 30 days.)

Maybe a better option, and one I'm considering, is listing it in Raleigh. They probably don't have as many guys buying new bikes as we do in Fayetteville, who are looking to get rid of their old ones. I tried Steel Dreams, or my wife did, but he wanted me to lower my asking price as it would cut into his profit. Hey--he's a business man, I get it, but I'm not GIVING the bike away.

Great looking bike, BTW. Now there are two of us with the fat seat.

Old 01-17-2006, 07:44 PM
coolharley
Cruiser

I did the exact same thing. Sold my tricked-out '02 Night Train and bought a '04 Police Electra Glide. No regrets - what a sweet ride. Flew 1-way to West Palm Beach, FL and rode it back to NH in two days. After I got back, I was bummed the ride was over and wanted to keep going. By comparison, I have ridden the Night Train from Ohio to NH in one day - felt like I had run a marathon and was quite sore.

Private sale will of course net more cash. I sold mine on e-bay and got $12,500, had about 22,000 miles, and around 6k in extras (which you will never recoup upon resale).

Good luck. Oh, as mentioned before, your lady will love the ride, and a happy lady makes for a happy man.

Old 01-17-2006, 11:42 PM
Wrongway
Intermediate

It went like this for us: For our 25th Wedding Anniversary I asked the Lil-One if she wanted her own bike? We have alot of seat time on the Springer and many of her friends ride, so, do you want one for our Anniversary? No, I'm not ready for that! Well then, why don't we get one of those Geeeezer Glides so your more comfortable on those long rides we take? We can keep the Springer for those shorter rides and so I can still win all those slow races, well, OK lets do that! The Queens Throne is now her #1 home, gets pissed if I ride to work without her! I love it too, but is always great to get on the Hot Rod Springer and twist that power producing throttle! Of course that wasn't enough! Let's upgrade that Ultra to that new FLHTCUSE!!! OK! We're hooked on the Glides to say the least, the others are 100% correct......You will never go back after the Glide. Get one and we'll see you out there. Dave

Old 01-17-2006, 11:52 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

Rode my chopped out FXR for years with the Mrs. Last year my Dad got a Road King. Took it for 1 ride and new I needed to build a Bagger.

Picked up an old solo police 'Glide and built it for 2 up with tunes, tour pac etc. Figured I'd keep my FXR for Bar runs with the boys and use the 'Glide for rides with the Mrs.

As soon as the 'Glide was built, I rode it and never looked back. Lined up a buyer this spring for the FXR, did some mods and setup the 'Glide with a 6" smoked windshield, Solo seat, removable pillion, fabbed a quick release for the older Tour Pac setup and have never ever looked back.

Now, the Solo setup Glide with Tunes is all I'll ride and when the Mrs wants to go for the occasional short or long haul, I set it up with the full size touring pillion and tour pac. Best of both worlds.

To me the 'Glide is the one bike that can do it all. It can be stripped down and setup for short and mid term cruises and look good (i.e. FLHX style) and in less than a 1/2 hour be set to go to up across the country in comfort. Lot to be said for that.

Old 01-18-2006, 10:50 AM
timbo
Cruiser

If you decide on a Glide get the Ultra. It's worth the extra money in the long run. I've known too many people that wound up buying EG Classics and Standards that wished they had what the Ultra has. Like a 4 speaker stereo, lowers, CB/intercom etc. They wind up buying all these add ons later and spend more money doing it.

It's relatively easy to make your Ultra anything you want. From a cross country Cadillac to a local bar hopper. There are so many options. And you can make the transission in a matter of minutes. Detachable tourpack, swap the seat, pull the lowers etc.

I love my Ultra. I'll never go back to a Softail.

Old 01-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good replies here. Placing the add in the Paraglide is a good idea. I know that I will be happy with a Glide. I also like the idea of being able to remove the tour pack and swapping the seats. I'll check out the prices when I get back. Up in VA they sell bikes for MSRP so I will start there. Thanks again.

Old 01-19-2006, 01:30 PM
SiCkEl_RiDeR
Advanced

Good replies here. Placing the add in the Paraglide is a good idea. I know that I will be happy with a Glide. I also like the idea of being able to remove the tour pack and swapping the seats. I'll check out the prices when I get back. Up in VA they sell bikes for MSRP so I will start there. Thanks again.
Good luck Abnmarine.
If this helps, I got my '03 UC with 16K for $17,100.00 (not including tax). It had a few amenities (read:Chrome) and was in pristine condition. Now, I'm told that's a pretty good deal for a newer Ultra w/low mileage. The ironic part, for me, was that I ended up buying it at a HONDA Dealer. Guy traded it in on a 2006 G/W. Apparently he likes having AIRBAGS on a bike... YIKES!!!
It was fate that I happen to be there at the same time.. I had no intentions of buying a HD at a HONDA dealer.. trust me. They didn't price it too well. Later, the manager told me they found out they were about 2K below value and my local HD said it would have gone for easily $19k at there lot.
Guess it just means I can put more goodies on it now..

Old 01-19-2006, 03:50 PM
OG_electra_glide
Tourer

....Up in VA they sell bikes for MSRP so I will start there. Thanks again.
I assume that you've already compared the tax benefit betwen VA and NC in making your choice. I have heard that a dealer in Moore County, NC (not sure which) offers around MSRP, and NC only has a 3% sales (road use) tax. Compared with TN 9.5% sales tax (Davidson County for example), that's a difference of $1300.
But if VA doesn't charge any tax, let me know and I'll get mine diverted (and save another $600!)

Old 01-19-2006, 09:14 PM
OG_electra_glide
Tourer

[I'm just posting and posting to get my numbers up.... instead of editing]

Just checked the paraglide, it's a week free, only one ad in any 30-day period for the same item, or 16 bucks for a 4-week ad of up to 5 lines. So that explains why ads were only running 1 week.