Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 11:29 PM
MattinAZ
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused!

Hello all from a new member. Great forum! I have an 06 EGlide Standard which I just moved up to from an 05 Superglide. I have and am planning on installing a set of SE touring mufflers part #65259-00. These are non-cat mufflers going on a cat calibrated EFI bike, basically like any aftermarket mufflers. You see the question coming?

I have read in here all about down loads and PCIIIs and SERTs and I am as confused as ever. With the pipes I have, my dealer is recommending the SE race tuner installed and tuned by him for $620. He said I can install the SE air intake myself to save $ and it wont hurt my warranty. All in all I'm looking at around $900 for the 1000 mile service, the SERT and everything I would need to get the bike to run right with the pipes and intake.

Any info, opinions or options are welcome. Will there be a noticable or worthwhile gain in performance with all this? Dealer quoted about 77 ft/lbs torque and 62 hp. BTW my bike is currently getting about 38mpg. About 6 mpg worse than my superglide.

Thanks guys.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7387/A9BEA38CDAEF4BB0B62C53FA4C6DF9AE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-16-2006, 11:37 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Confused!

The SERT is the best thing you can get for your bike IMHO. Some people like PCIII but the SERT is a Harley Part and it tune specifically for your bike.

Old 01-16-2006, 11:47 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you do all your mods before dyno tuning with the SERT or the PCIII. I prefer the SERT.

Old 01-16-2006, 11:56 PM
magnoliarunner
Cruiser

What they said!

mag

Old 01-16-2006, 11:58 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Read This! It sounds like your dealer knows what he is taling about.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_181817/tm.htm

Terry

Old 01-17-2006, 12:10 AM
MattinAZ
Intermediate

Thanks for the replys guys.

Terry I did read that. I have been racing and tuning 2 stroke MXers since I was 15. Mostly on my kids bikes now, total of about 19 years. I am up to speed on the mechanics of how and why. I am not up to speed on who and what. If that makes sense. Who and what being the best manufacturer and product to get the best results. Do these prices I was quoted sound about right?

Does the HD dealer keep a particular bikes map saved in their archives so if I were to go back wanting a change they would know where to start? I dont have a lap top to take to the dealer. Also my dealer doesn't have a dyno and said he would be tuning for my set up based on the parts on my bike and the info (data) they've collected.

Thanks again.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:18 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Matt,

Actually that sounds pretty fair. The SERT is $459.00 and plan on 1 1/2 hr. labor (which is what my dealer quoted) to install and MAP. Check with your dealer first but mine will download a copy of your map on a cd for you to keep. They will (should) keep a copy too. That way you can take it back and have it tweaked if and when you need to.

It would be better to have it dyno'd after your dealer does the install/mapping. They will use your dealer's map and fine tune it to where your bike runs like a bat out of hell.

Terry

Old 01-17-2006, 12:42 AM
MattinAZ
Intermediate

Thats what I was hoping to hear, an appreciable return on my investment. If the bike will run like a raped ape then it's probably worth it. I miss the days of changing a jet here and a needle there.
Thanks Terry. Now I just gotta save up some more $.

ETA - Anyone know or recommend a dealer or shop in Phoenix metro area that can/will dyno tune a SERT?

Old 01-17-2006, 12:43 AM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,773 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Go with the Race Tuner. It works best.

Old 01-17-2006, 11:21 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok I gotta say this... SAVE your money!!

IF they are not dyno tuning your bike then you can do all the install yourself. Just find someone that has a laptop to install the generic map they are gonna. Which will be the same HD Download we call "Garbage".

My opinion.. If I was you I would buy the items and install yourself and find a competent shop that has a dyno and have them dyno tune the bike, not charge you an arm and leg to do something you can easily do yourself.

The HD Download and the map on the disc for the SERT are the same maps. All they are gonna do is sell you the SERT and install the same Map and overcharge you for it. The ONLY time the SERT is worth buying is if your gonna have the bike dyno tuned. Otherwise your just throwing money out the door. They are trying to sell you a SERT when it's not needed to install the map they are doing.

I hope I haven't confused you anymore..

Quick Reply: Confused!