Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 07:19 PM
04XLC
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Confused!

This has been a good thread for me as I’m been revisiting this issue many times trying to understand the difference between SERT, PCIII, and TFI – when only used for new pipes and air cleaner.- the so called Stage I. I understand the value of SERT when going beyond Stage I but if all I need to adjust the air/fuel then wouldn’t TFI be sufficient? We’re not adjusting timing with a Stage I correct? My dealer says TFI is all I need, that's it's simple and I can make adjustments on the fly.

I understand the no two bikes (at some micro level) are not exactly the same and that with SERT one can micro tune to account for these differences. But are the differences that great? Wouldn't the ECM be programmed the same for all Road Glides for example? From what I'm hearing I should have a stock bike dyno'd to account for any differences. I still don't understand the value of SERT for a Stage I upgrade (HD pipes and air cleaner).

Old 01-17-2006, 07:26 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you don't EVER plan on doing any other mods then the TFI would be best for you I'm guessing. I have no experience with it, but seems to do the job and for cheaper.

I personally plan on upgrading the motorsize next winter as this winter my plans got put aside UGH!..lol

I also like to know i am getting the best bang for my money when I'm spending that kind of cash only to shortcut it in the end. or what I feel is a shortcut.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

I have to admit, I'm as confused as most of use on this issue. My dealer also says I'd be wasting my money with a SERT unless I'm planning on engine mods which I am not. I currently have a SG with SE slipons, A/C and Stage II download. Most dealers are using the StageII download instead of the StageI load per instructions from the MOCO. I must say, though, since these changes my bike shakes a lot more at idle. Don't know if the download has changed the timing at low rpm or if it's a gas/air mixture thing. I have been considering Kuryakyn's "Wild Thing TFI" but then the next minute I'm ready for the SERT. I just don't know!
The funny part is the dealer says the shake is normal! I don't think so! lol!

Old 01-17-2006, 10:31 PM
MattinAZ
Intermediate

Terry - Thanks for the help! I didnt think we were on the same page before, but now we are.

For those of you who are as confused as I am (was) lemme try to explain it a little, at least as I understand it. The SERT (Screaming Eagle Race Tuner) is essentially a program that interfaces the bike to a computer. With it, a capable and knowledgable person can tune the air/fuel mixture going through the bike to match the mods made to the bike ie. simple pipes and air intake to something as major as flow porting, or other head work, big bore kits or any other mods. The SERT has the ability to specifically tune your individual bike to its individual mods. Hooked up to a dyno, it can tune for the best fuel/air ratio at any and all rpm levels and I believe it can change timing as well.

In my case, my dealer is recommending going with the SERT along with my mods but instead of paying for the dyno time, just go with a basic map that they have developed that works with the mods I'm planning. Almost all owners first upgrade to a new stock bike is pipes and air intake. They (my dealer) has a base program map that they use for 06 bikes being upgraded with 05 and older non-catalyst mufflers and intake upgrades.

The download that is warned against is just that. A generic map that is labeled "Stage whatever" and downloaded into your bike. The problem being it was designed for 06 bikes upgraded with the 06 and up catalyst type exhaust (part #80463-06). Those of us going with non catalyst HD pipes or mufflers, like mine (part #65259-00) or aftermartket manufacturers pipes most of which are not catalyst pipes, will be running too lean - not enough fuel in the mixture - and popping and backfiring. Thats why the "download" doesn't work well on the new bikes (06).

The consensus is, and from the research I've done - SERT is mandatory on 06 bikes with any upgrade at all to get the proper fuel/air mixture, the best power, mileage and reliability.

Hope that helps the confused newbies like me. N if anyone who knows more about this than I (thats everyone) has any more info....please share!

Old 01-17-2006, 10:41 PM
Detour
Road Captain

Matt, it sounds like you've done your research. Judging from your past experience with dirtbikes and jetting, I would guess that you'll be doing more mods to your bike down the road. You can't get the motor bug out of your blood once it's in there! With that said, I would highly recommend adding your pipes and less-restrictive air cleaner and then having the SERT installed and the bike dyno'd. The "prefab" maps will be enough to get you going, but you'll get the most out of your motor with a dyno. JMHO.

Take care and ride safe,

Kurt[sm=burnout.gif]

Old 01-18-2006, 12:13 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Damn, this has been one great thread

Old 01-18-2006, 12:36 AM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,773 Likes on 1,267 Posts

When I first got my bike I went with just the map download. After it was broke in I had them put it on dyno and check it out. They then recommended Race Tuner and installed it and picked up 10 horse just by tweaking it on the dyno. The Race Tuner was well worth the money and the bike rode like a new bike by getting it dialed in.[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 01-18-2006, 03:43 PM
Harley Rulz
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just talked to Mark with M&M and he has the SERT on sale right now for $359.00 so mine will be on it's way soon.He told me that if I had a laptop (which I do) that the install and tunning was a piece of cake.He also said that he would not spend the $$ to have it dyno tuned unless the engine had been gone into.

Old 01-18-2006, 04:24 PM
Isshinryu
Tourer

I had enough guessing and BSing around with my former 2000 Road King. Now that I have a brand new Street Glide I want precision and accuracy and the best possible parts and tune. I got my SERT, stage 1 kit , and Supertrapp exhaust with dyno tune and it is perfect. 16 hp increase and 8 lbs of torque increase.

If you buy your parts at Christmas time my dealer gives 25% off SERT and Stage 1 kit and 40% off exhaust systems. Saved $500 and it is just right.

Go with the SERT and dyno tune it is worth it.

John

[IMG]local://upfiles/6262/2285EBDD47A848AEA3A7E2589FE7F27E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-18-2006, 05:15 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the SERT and the shaking will stop. It's the download. You can start thread or a poll and ask if you have a SERT or PCIII does your bike shake. Then do the same on HD download and you'll se the response. Better call a HD dealer in CA and see what they recommend. I guess you really shake rattle and roll on your bike. I could hold back I had to say that.
ORIGINAL: foneman

I have to admit, I'm as confused as most of use on this issue. My dealer also says I'd be wasting my money with a SERT unless I'm planning on engine mods which I am not. I currently have a SG with SE slipons, A/C and Stage II download. Most dealers are using the StageII download instead of the StageI load per instructions from the MOCO. I must say, though, since these changes my bike shakes a lot more at idle. Don't know if the download has changed the timing at low rpm or if it's a gas/air mixture thing. I have been considering Kuryakyn's "Wild Thing TFI" but then the next minute I'm ready for the SERT. I just don't know!
The funny part is the dealer says the shake is normal! I don't think so! lol!

Quick Reply: Confused!