Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Isshinryu
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Confused!

MattinAZ,

I put the SERT, SE air cleaner (stage 1 kit), and a supertrapp 2 into 1 pipe on my 06 street glide. I had it dyno tuned by a skilled tech. I got 76 hp and 78 lb tq.

Find a dealer that has a dyno, buy the SERT, air cleaner, and pipe of your choice, and have it dyno tuned. Ride and have a great time.

My suggestion is not to skimp, bite the bullet and do it right. The SERT, Stage 1 air cleaner, and a good exhaust will all be necessary for any future mods you may want to do. My 06 runs and sounds so good it was worth every penny.

John

[IMG]local://upfiles/6262/705552FFFE544B5EA4E0388C9C89D25D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-17-2006, 05:02 PM
MattinAZ
Intermediate

OK bear with me guys...please. My dealer, Chesters HD in Mesa AZ has a dyno. They, however, dont recommend having the bike dyno tuned with just SE mufflers and intake. They say the basic download works just fine for what I'm doing with the bike right now. They say later on, if I add a big bore kit, cams etc, then have it dyno tuned.

I understand all this, like putting a race exhaust on my YFZ450. New pipe and muffler, rejet carb - with factory recommended settings. Change cam and valves and whatever, tune it yo'self.

I guess my question is, how many have the SERT with the dealers basic map and how happy are you with it? They said they would dyno tune it for me, about 3 hours labor - $180, but that it would not be that much better than basic map with just pipes and intake. I know the benefits to this will come later, but I dont plan on going into this motor for at least 3 years or more.

Thanks for your patience while I stumble through this.

Old 01-17-2006, 05:18 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

My suggestion is not to skimp, bite the bullet and do it right. The SERT, Stage 1 air cleaner, and a good exhaust will all be necessary for any future mods you may want to do. My 06 runs and sounds so good it was worth every penny.

John
There's the answer to your question. It is not OK to use the download. I don't care what your dealer tells you, your bike will never run good as long as you have only the download. The SERT with your pipes and air cleaner upgrade is your answer. I'd find another dealer to install it if I were you. The two dealers I use don't even install the hd download anymore.

Terry

Old 01-17-2006, 06:00 PM
MattinAZ
Intermediate

They are recommending the SERT but they are not recommending the Dyno tune, just a basic HD map. Is this "basic map" the same "download" that everyone says avoid? If it is then I will "bite the bullet" and get it done right with a proper dyno tune. Just confused as to the difference, if there is one, between getting the SERT and getting the "HD download".

Old 01-17-2006, 06:05 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

ORIGINAL: MattinAZ

They are recommending the SERT but they are not recommending the Dyno tune, just a basic HD map. Is this "basic map" the same "download" that everyone says avoid? If it is then I will "bite the bullet" and get it done right with a proper dyno tune. Just confused as to the difference, if there is one, between getting the SERT and getting the "HD download".
OK now I understand, sorry. That is OK for the basics. You can get real close and they can tweak it a little without the dyno. As long as you are happy with the results, that's what counts. My dealer does this all the time with the mods you are having done. Anything more complicated would require a dyno. Without the SERT, just using the basic hd download there is no way to make any adjustments. They will download the basic map and modify it until they get the AFR (air/fuel ratio) close enough to prevent popping and backfiring.

Terry

Old 01-17-2006, 06:12 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell your dealer it's your bike and you want a dyno tune. Some of these guys just want you to come back and spend more money. My bike runs like a bat out of hell. My dealership didn't have a dyno tune so I had my bike for one day until I got it tune and you can tell the difference no back firing on decal nothing like that.

Old 01-17-2006, 06:26 PM
Rhinohd
Road Captain

Ok,
This questions comes up so often. This is from my perspective. I have the SERT, SE pro performance mufflers and HD Air Kit. I had my dealer install it and my scoot runs a hell of a lot better then when it was stock. Cooler, faster and smoother. I don't know what Map my dealer used but I don't think it's the same as the Stage 1 Map. I say this only because I have heard a lot of bad things about the stage 1 remap and I have encountered none of it. Now call your dealer and Ask them what (if any) difference is there between the SERT map and the stage1. Who knows maybe they have a map they use just in that shop? Oh and an FYI the SERT comes with a map for what you're doing. SO if you just want to do it yourself I'm sure you can figure it out. But if the dealer has a map they use that's been tweaked, let them do it. I went with the SERT and have not experienced the PCIII. If I was going to do it again I would still buy the SERT. Not so much for the power increase but for the improvement to drivability. Good luck!

Almost forgot. No Dyno tune here... No popping or back fires....

Old 01-17-2006, 06:36 PM
Rhinohd
Road Captain

One more thing I just checked on.

The SERT is TRACK ONLY use... (Does this mean the maps it comes with as well?)

The Stage1 is street legal in 50 states. ( this screams lean if its based model year specific)

Does this mean the two maps are different?

Maybe TCSTD knows?

Old 01-17-2006, 06:39 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally would spend the $180 to have my bike dyno tuned. EVERY bike is different. There are things during manufacturing called tolerances which will make every bike different.

I'm getting ready to spend the same amount to have my bike dyno tuned in the next month or 2 when i get my items installed.

Please let us know what the dealership tells you about what map they are using and if you have it dyno tuned or use a generic map.

Old 01-17-2006, 06:45 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Track use only because you are modifying the stock ECM and it will not pass EPA Emissions.

All maps are different, but not because they are EPA controlled. It's on how they are made and to what you are wanting out of the bike.

Lowend? Midrange? Topend?

Quick Reply: Confused!