Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ridding groups

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008 | 10:35 PM
King Kong Sportster
|
Advanced
Default Ridding groups

was approached the other day by some group members about attending one of their meetings. Was wondering what that is like for some of you who may be members or thinking about joining. Just want to know some of your experiences and the benefits and drawbacks of becoming a member of a group. Im fairly new to ridding and only been doing it for a little over a year. All I know is ridding alone, and Im pretty comfortable with it. Guess I never thought of joining a group. All thoughts are welcome

Old 01-29-2008 | 11:04 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Default RE: Ridding groups

Go to HD.COM AND READ ABOUT HOG. That will give you some ideas. Group riding is fun but it requires more skill and quicker reflexes than riding alone. Use a search on group riding. It is a bit lenghty to go into on this site.

Old 01-29-2008 | 11:11 PM
ctmedic
Road Captain

It really depends on the type of group that your speaking of. I belong to the Southern Cruisers a very well established Riding Club. Great group and its all about enjoying a day out, with good food stops. The most important thing is Safety. What ever you do, Ride your own ride. Dont ride out of your comfort zone.

Good Luck

Frank

Old 01-29-2008 | 11:24 PM
vette
Road Captain

I like riding with a group + safety in numbers

Old 01-29-2008 | 11:26 PM
ZJAvy
Road Captain

Belonging to a group can cause you to get out and ride more often plus you tend to join in charity events more often etc.. Its like any other club basically. Its a group of people who enjoy the same activity getting togethor for that activity.

Old 01-29-2008 | 11:36 PM
tjmac49
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: ctmedic

It really depends on the type of group that your speaking of. I belong to the Southern Cruisers a very well established Riding Club. Great group and its all about enjoying a day out, with good food stops. The most important thing is Safety. What ever you do, Ride your own ride. Dont ride out of your comfort zone.

Good Luck

Frank
There are more advantages to riding in a group than solo - depending upon the group you join. Like ctmedic said above, ride within your zone of comfort.

Old 01-30-2008 | 09:34 AM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member

I belong to HOG it is fun and you meet a lot of new people. However I don't ride in the group when they go out I either leave ahead of them or follow behind, there are way to many people that don't know how to ride in a groupor are showing off.

Old 01-30-2008 | 09:58 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior

The groups are primarily a social thing, if your into that you will enjoy it. You will need to learn different riding rules for group riding, but it can be fun. I rarely ride with a group, prefer solo (with the wife) most of the time, but there are times a group ride can fun and you get to know lots of different people. Try it, if you don't like it you don't have to continue.

Old 01-30-2008 | 09:59 AM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member

I am the Road Captain of our group. We always have a safety brief and go over Hand and Arm signals prior to a ride. Also if we have a new Biker not comfortable in riding in formation, I will buddy him/her up with someone and put them in the trail just in front of the sweep rider. This way they can gain experience and see what is going on. Riding with a group can be lots of fun and improve skill but I still like getting out with just my wife and I.

Old 01-30-2008 | 11:26 AM
jackja25
Road Captain

As everyone has stated, it is a way to meet other individuals that have the same likes. I dont go on all of the group rides, but I like the charity events. One of the things I do enjoy in the group is that I am able to view some of the scenerary by not being a road captain. Give it a shot, if it turns not to be for you, what have you lost?

Quick Reply: Ridding groups