Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zumo Mounting w/ Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts
Default Zumo Mounting w/ Pictures

OK, on another thread there was some asking about mounting the Zumo in the center of the fairing.
First off, I can get a little long winded at times, please excuse this as I try and make myself clear.
Second, I don't want to come off as a "know it all" or seam condescending, I don't want to insult anyone here. This is just the way I do it.

These pic show the RAM ball mounted in the center of the fairing, doesn't show much when not using the Zumo. I removed the fairing and drilled a hole, just big enough for the ram screw to fit, in the center of the fairing, between the tach and speedo. There is a support brace there so be careful and go slow. The bolt was inserted from the inside and the RAM ball screwed on...

This is a shot of the wires running from inside the fairing, under the windshield and on each side of the center windshield pouch. I didn't want to use the cig plug as I smoke and use it a lot. I found two wires running to the headlamp plug that wasn't connected to anything. There was a hot & ground wire with a small connection covered by a red cap. I was told that this is for daytime running light required in Europe, can't confirm that but the red wire was hot with the key on and the ground good. I cut off the small connector and used this to power the Zumo. I cut the Zumo power wire and inserted a waterproof connection show here This plug allows me to move the entire Zumo mount, XM antenna and Ram mounting arm as one unit from bike to bike. All I had to do was connect a waterproof plug to each bike that would mate to the Zumo power wire. I got them at Car Quest for around 3.00 each. Cheap enough. *Note* make sure you use the rubber covered side for the hot wire from the power source of the bike, don't want to touch something with the hot wire and short something out...

This shows the RAM mount with the Cycle gadget XM antenna mount and wires tucked away inside the center pouch.

This is a pic of the replacement thumb screw that a gentleman on the zumo forum makes and sells. It replaces the small special screw that comes with the Zumo, you can use this with gloves and eliminates the need to carry the special screwdriver. It isn't a security device, just a easy to use device.

These are some shots of the mount w/ XM antenna, the picture shows the antenna wire wrapped around the mount, I have changed and now tuck the antenna wire inside the center pouch as well, cleaner looking.

My splash screen shot and a shot of the Zumo powered up....

Shots of the Zumo from the drivers seat, easy to reach and in my line of sight....

This is the handlebar RAM mount that I used in the past, it works fine except I wanted the GPS mounted in the center of the fairing.

Hope this helps a little, I think I'm going to like it mounted here....

Some of you may have mounted yours a different way, if so show it here and we all can get some ideas...
Be safe all.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Zumo Mounting w/ Pictures

Casper,
Great work! That's an excelent mount & great photo report! I'm sure you'll enjoy havin' that Zumo dead center like that. Thanks for the report.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:28 PM
Ugly Troll
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Casper, looks pretty good. My question would be..........do you have any trouble seeing the tach/speedo with the zumo mounted in the center like that? Thanks

Troll

Old 01-29-2008, 05:28 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Excellent post and pics, Casper. How much, if any, does the Zumo obstruct you view of the speedo or tach? My buddy just hardwired his Zumo 550 to the HK using a handlebar mount on the right side, and I emailed him this thread--his first question will be the one I asked. TIA.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:30 PM
tarheelrdr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lostthe security screw on my Zumo, who on the forum has that thumb screw. Thanks , Tim

Old 01-29-2008, 05:30 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

casper,,, good job buddy!
As you prob'y seen in my posts , I to have a zumo in my plans.
I'll book mark this and use it as a referance!
thanks, Rick

Old 01-29-2008, 05:35 PM
03FLHT2
Advanced

If you go to the Zumo fourm here, there's a link to order a couple plus if you search some guys have given screw size, They also have that in a thumb
screw
OPPS frogot link http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?board=2.0

Old 01-29-2008, 05:38 PM
seldyn1
Tourer

Great report!! Nice job!

Old 01-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ugly Troll

Casper, looks pretty good. My question would be..........do you have any trouble seeing the tach/speedo with the zumo mounted in the center like that? Thanks

Troll
Just put it one Sunday, so I haven't ridden with it there, but I don't think it'll bother me much, and when I use the Zumo, I use the speed indicator on it and not the HD one anyway.....tech, well I shift by feel, that not be the best but, hey-what do I know

Old 01-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

That was a great post Casper

Quick Reply: Zumo Mounting w/ Pictures