Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring my GPS to my Accessory Plug (Help!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wiring my GPS to my Accessory Plug (Help!)

My Zumo will get here tomorrow, so I'm planning the install on my '08 road Glide. I think I'm going to plug it into the accessory adapter to give me some flexibility. So I went out today and bought the Dual Accessory Harness to plug into the adapter that's under the seat. Problem is, the harness uses four pins and of course, the GPS only needs a positive and ground connection.

To compound things, the Dual Accessory Harness does not have colored wires, but rather only labelled pinouts 1-4. Can anybody tell me which of the pinouts is the positive and which is the ground?

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2008, 12:45 PM
HOGinit
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wiring my GPS to my Accessory Plug (Help!)

I am trying to understand why wire it to the acc switch, doesn't the ZUMO have an on off switch and it is fused. I soldered a splitter to the back of my cigar lighter and it gives me all of the flexibility that I want and saved the accessory switch for something that doesn't have an on/off fused switch. Mine is a 2730 though not the ZUMO. If the ZUMO doesn't have a fuzed on/off switch then I can understand the need for the flexibility.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:46 PM
RonH
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed my lights using the same harness for the ACC switch. The top left pin is ground and the bottom left is ACC. One of the other's is always hot and the last runs off the brakes. You can easily check it with a meter which is always a good idea to confirm anyway. I just took the connector apart, terminated the extra two wires and soldered to the ground and hot. Worked great.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:48 PM
kyote
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If I remember looking at the schematics.. I believe one pin is supposed to be switched..and the other is hot all the time.. I was going to do the same with my Amateur Radio/GPS setup.. but couldnt get the fairing switch to work..so I have mine connected with a fused line direct to the battery...

Old 01-29-2008, 12:53 PM
kdietz
Road Captain

I wired mine to the back of the cigarette lighter....easy to run up the handlebars to the Zumo

Old 01-29-2008, 12:56 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

The power cord that comes with the motercycle mount is fused and can be wired directly to the battery if you like.I have found from the many boats I have run over the years that Radios and GPS should be wired to the battery.Cleaner signal, less noise interference?

Old 01-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Bldr1000
Cruiser

If you hook the zumo directly to the cigarette lighter wire, everytime you turn on your ignition switch, the Zumo will come on. So you'll have to cut it off everytime you crank your bike. By wiring thru the accesorie switch, it will only come on when you switch on the acc button. I did the Acc switch and like it better. Bldr

Old 01-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

I found two wires running to the head lamp plug that are not used, small connector covered with a red plastic cap. I cut the small connector of and wired my Zumo there. I understand the wires I used are for daytime running lights in Europe.