Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding 2 up???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 06:58 PM
sldavis
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Riding 2 up???

OK, for those who are used to riding two up, this is a stupid question. But I haven't done much of it on the Ultra, and just installed the rider backrest. Knowing that it folds forward somewhat to help the passenger mount, what is the best procedure for the passenger getting on? With my bad back, I really don't want to fight the weight of the bike and another 130 lbs if it gets off center. Suggestions?

Old 01-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Ugly Troll
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Riding 2 up???

There are various ways to mount/dismount. Everyone finds their own way that's comfortable for them. Many "experts" say you should always get on, get the bike in an upright position, make sure you've got it steadied and stable, then you tell your passenger when you're ready for them to get on. Some step on the footboard and swing over, others swing over from the ground..........whatever. Here's how we do it: I get on the bike. While I'm still down on the kickstand, have my passenger get on and get seated. Then I stand the bike up and off we go. Of course, I rarely take a passenger; my wife rides her own scoot! And if it helps any, I've been riding (on the front seat) for 42 years, and I do not find having a passenger to be a comfortable proposition! (Ok, cept for the grandkids, they're still little and don't upset things!) Experiment and find what works for you! Good luck and enjoy.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:06 PM
Greenstreak
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain! I've had a herniated disc at L5-6 for a few years now. Same setup on my Classic. My wife is around 120 and when she boards I've got the bike upright. With my feet planted, hands on the bars, and thighs gripping the seat, she steps up from the left passenger board and swings her right leg through. Keeping her hands on my shoulders as she does this helps me stay centered. For larger passengers I leave the bike on the side (Jiffy) stand and have them mount-up first. It's really not much of an effort to right the bike once I'm sitting in the saddle.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Doug45601
Road Master

As mentioned above... but make sure you instruct your rider to be careful with da-feet otherwise she may kick the crap out of your tour pac or saddle bag lids...

Old 01-28-2008, 07:20 PM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The person thatis doing the getting on the passenger seat can make it smooth or put you on the ground depending on how they mount up. I always stand the bike up , then if they get hold of your back rest and pull theirself up it'll pull the heck outta the bike. just have them step up on the passenger board maybe puttheir hand on your shoulder just to steady them and hop on over, it's a lot smoother. my wife or my daughter who's 25 can get and you can't even feel it.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:22 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I get my 08 UC upright, feet planted, clutch pulled and shifted into 1st, and front brake engaged. Signal the wife I'm ready, she grabs my left arm just to steady herself, steps up on the left floorboard, then steps through between my backrest and hers. She lets me know when she is settled before I take off. With the Ultra it takes her a little longer as she prefers to connect her intercom cable after she has mounted.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:34 PM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Windup08

I get my 08 UC upright, feet planted, clutch pulled and shifted into 1st, and front brake engaged. Signal the wife I'm ready, she grabs my left arm just to steady herself, steps up on the left floorboard, then steps through between my backrest and hers. She lets me know when she is settled before I take off. With the Ultra it takes her a little longer as she prefers to connect her intercom cable after she has mounted.
Careful with that.... If she loses her balance a bit and tugs on that arm, you may slip off the clutch and things can get ugly.............

Trust the word of experience.... I am in Neutral until she is settled now....

Old 01-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ChiefGator....thanks for the advice, I've thought about that, and when I think about it I've left it in neutral, but its gotten to be such a habit too often I forget. Will have to make it a point to correct a bad habit.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Fla Glide
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you need her to mount up while on the stand,, Then after she mounts up turn your Handlebars all the way to the right and the bike will almost stand itself up for you... Hold that front brake

Old 01-28-2008, 07:51 PM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Windup08

ChiefGator....thanks for the advice, I've thought about that, and when I think about it I've left it in neutral, but its gotten to be such a habit too often I forget. Will have to make it a point to correct a bad habit.

The embarrasing part was when it happened, we were at an ABATE picnik... had to be a hundred riders there to see it. I did not go down, but I had a bruise on my leg from knee to ankle from the footboard.

My lovely bride is almost 5'10" so she just swings over, but does use my arm to steady herself.

Quick Reply: Riding 2 up???