Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding 2 up???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 07:52 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 532 Posts
Default RE: Riding 2 up???

if its a real problem go with an after market center stand but they aint cheep

Old 01-28-2008, 07:59 PM
sldavis
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure about the weight on the side stand with her getting on first. Standing the bike after she is on is not a problem, the problem comes with the weight shifts when I'm trying to keep it still. Sure wish I had my old back again.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:58 AM
Drifting Texas
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best advise I can give you is not about your passenger getting on but to invest in a Tour Pak relocator to allow your passenger more room behind your backrest. Kuryakyn makes one or George Anderson's (which I personally recommend). I don't know about everyone else but my wife *** keeps spreading with the years and Harley seems to think everyone has a 5'7" 105 LB woman that rides with them. There ain't much room for a passenger with a drivers backrest.

My wife actually gets on first.[:@]

Old 01-29-2008, 08:40 AM
rapz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the tour pak relocator, but not on my newer bike, but after riding BMWs with weak kick stands I enjoy the Harley Kick Stand and how strong it is. Typically, my wife gets on the bike and then I'll get on it, just make sure the front wheel is turned in to give you that three point stand and the bike is very solid. I'm only 175lbs and my wife is 150lbs so when I'm on the bike first with the kickstand down we both know how to lean right whenever I'm getting the bike off the kickstand and after many years of practice its become somewhat a natural thing and feels no heavier that doing it solo. When I've got the bike running, off the kickstand and she needs to get on she knows to do it by grabbing my shoulder for balance, not to pull on it, and she will get on the left passenger floor board, lean toward the center of the bike and in a slow deliberate motion proceed to get on the bike. I think, imho, it's all balance. ...btw, I've got back problem too and friends with the same problems sometimes mount from the right side, I can't do that, but many older guys (my age) say it's easier for them?

Old 01-29-2008, 08:57 AM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always get on the bike, stand the bike up and then I stand up. It gives her more room to get on. She always mounts from the left side, standing on the floor board and throwing her other leg over.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:16 AM
Rattle Can
Tourer

Before my wife gets on the bike, I lean forward a little and brace my calves against the front of the passenger floor boards. It gives her more room to get on, plus, and I know it doesn't sound like much, but bracing against the floor boards makes the whole process very stable.

Personal preference, but I don't start the bike until the wife is settled in.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:17 AM
backnasaddle
Tourer

I certainly agree with neutral and front brake engaged if running. I've always preferred to have the bike upright before she mounts up. I've never found it easier from the side stand. You also mentioned that you haven't done much two up. Do yourself a favor. Get a little maneuveringpractice with her on board. It can take a little while to get the feel for the handling and braking differences with a passenger under different circumstances. Remember that the driver ALWAYS calls the tune. Even if experienced, the passenger should never make a move thedriver doesn't approve first. Don'task me how I know. []

Old 01-29-2008, 09:35 AM
69z28
Road Warrior

I have an 05 RKC with a drivers back rest,also with a bad back.My with knows to get on as fast as she can so it won't be a problem.So far it hasn't been.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:43 PM
HogFather
Road Captain

Feet flat, bike centered up, front brake tight. She places left hand on my left shoulder, left foot on floor board and over she goes. And way we go. No problem. But to be honest it did take her some time to get it really smooth.